The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shadow19's turbo build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36
    Experienced TGC Member

Shadow19's turbo build

Well... I guess its time to post this shit because ive actually been able to get some things done. So far all i have done is port the turbo, manifold, o2 housing, mount the turbo the the car with the water lines, mount the j-pipe, modify the fuck out of the down pipe because it hit the oil pan and it was too short for my catback system, install the 450cc injectors and rebuilt the throttle body with new seals. Seems like its not much but ive been busting ass for the past 4 days getting stuff done. Tomorrow im going to try and get the oil pan marked out for the oil return line then weld the nuts on the inside just like the 2g and 1g are done as well as pulling off my oil filter housing to have it ported since i dont have the balance shafts. Ill be using a MAF Translator Pro for tuning and a zeitronix zt2 wideband. Im still stuck on the intercooler because of my vr-4 front and im not cutting it so its going to be a bitch. Its something that ill deal with when i get there. For now here is only part of the "reveal"... P.S. Im not a professional welder nor do i have a great high dollar welder but it gets the job done. So if you have a problem with my welding job please feel free to post pics of the shit youve welded fit yourself or just dont comment at all ;-)

Looks good Shadow... the welds don't look that bad either. What type of jpipe is that?
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phizzalot View Post
    Looks good Shadow... the welds don't look that bad either. What type of jpipe is that?
    Its a custom j-pipe that i got off of my 1g. I was told a guy that works at a local bosch plant here in charleston custom made the j-pipe and all the IC piping for the 1g.

my welds are way better then those.

Looks good. For the oil return just put it on the turbo and let hit on the pan where you want it, the a old screw driver that you dont need and take it to a bench grinder to make a nice point, take a hammer and mark your points and with having the little dimples you will be less likely to have your drill walk all over the place. Just be careful when you are welding the pan they are kinda thin so.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    my welds are way better then those.
    lol dick.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    did you hire a blind guy to operate that welder?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    shadow i recommend getting a stock 2g turbo oil pan, bolts right up and no mistakes or welding needed
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    shadow i recommend getting a stock 2g turbo oil pan, bolts right up and no mistakes or welding needed
    Oil pan is already done and back on the car. i removed the bracket that the bolts were welded to on my 1g oil pan and welded it onto my 7g oil pan. No need for me to wait a week and spend 50+ dollars to get a 2g oil pan when the 2g oil pan is the same shape and everything as the 7g minus the cut out for the drain tube. The money could go elsewhere. When i rip the 64 out to put the 63 in ill reverse the oil pan operation.... Maybe im cheap but who cares.
    Last edited by Shadow19; 01-02-2010 at 05:35 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i got my 2g oil pan for 10 bucks in mint condition not even a scrape on it
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

you would have been better off welding a -10an fitting to your pan. No leaks. Ever. No gaskets either... And much much larger drain orifice to save your turbo's life.

no biggie though.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    AN fittings are aluminum, can't weld aluminum without a Tig welder.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Well today im probably not going to get much done. Its cold as a bitch out there and im going on a heater hunt today. I hope that i can get this bitch out of here in 2 weeks. wiring isnt my best area so that may take a while.. If anyone can help me out on how to wire up this damn Maf translator pro and tell me how to set it up it would be a HUGE help. LOL

Experienced TGC Member
    OK so here is an update. I havent had much time to work on the car between work and waiting for parts to get in. However what i have done is got my FMIC all wrapped up and ready to go. It took me 3 fucking days to route the piping and mount the thing without sacrificing my front bumper. I had to do MINIMAL trimming which i was really happy about. I dont have pics of all it on the car yet because im taking my time and deburring all the edges and cleaning out the piping from where metal got inside from cutting it. So here it is. It is not the biggest intercooler in the world but im only running a 16g turbo so its not a biggie (no pun intended).

That pic is the piping and couplings for the outlet side alone. The other shit is still on the car and isnt as much as this. It took some brain power to figure out the angles but its all done and i have a couple more bends than i would have liked to have but it saved me from royally fucking up my front bumper which i paid dearly for ;-) (if you look hard enough on the bumper shot you can see the paint cracked off: Lesson number 45301 in life. Never get pissed off and throw your JDM bumper LOL.)
    Last edited by Shadow19; 01-25-2010 at 11:41 PM

yeah first time putting the IC pipes together sucks. I remember using 20 t-bolts first time around,Now they are 12 only. Just know that more coupling means bigger chance for a leak, but for first time is ok. You dont have to worry about the intercooler, you can fit whatever size u can fit with less sacrifice/bumper/. post some more pics.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    yeah first time putting the IC pipes together sucks. I remember using 20 t-bolts first time around,Now they are 12 only. Just know that more coupling means bigger chance for a leak, but for first time is ok. You dont have to worry about the intercooler, you can fit whatever size u can fit with less sacrifice/bumper/. post some more pics.
    Yea. The leaks do worry me a little bit but ill deal with that if that happens (god forbid that it does this build has been a big enough pain in my ass). I just cant wait to get this shit over. Im sick of looking at my poor car on jack stands. Im ready to get this bitch out and see what she can do! BTW. Does hair spray help seal and keep the couplings on for sure or is that just some bullshit?

Experienced TGC Member
    So i figured i should post a pic of my steal of the week. The story behind this. I bought my 1g with a 6 bolt. Decided to part it out and keep the engine for the galant. The engine had 2 busted pistons (but still ran). Took it apart, had the machine shop hot tank, bore .20 over, micro polish the crank, put new freeze plugs in and deck the block. With that being said i knew it was coming time for me to build this motor because god only knows how long the 64 will last boosted. Well browsing ebay i came across this kit with no reserve and 4 days left. Stock size bearings, .20 over pistons. So im thinking this could be a good thing and placed my bid of 103.62 and set my max bid to 270 (even at 270 i still would have gotten an OK deal). Turns out nobody outbid me so friday of last week i won the complete topline overhaul kit with the whole shabang for $118.62 SHIPPED to my door.. So i feel proud and kind of bad for stealing this kit from the guy. I got one HELL OF A DEAL! Im not going too big on this motor anyways and even if i demolish the engine i pretty much made ALL of my money back from the 1g and then the profit went to this kit and i have a complete motor....... So anything i put into it from here out is out of pocket and wont be much for me to cry about.

P.S. Im too tired to work on the car so maybe ill do some shit tomorrow.

Dam nice deal mang.. a sert of pistons tooo.. You got Over :)

The FMIC looks sick behind that jdm bumper too noice wrk Shadow!!
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Nice work dude.

Experienced TGC Member
    Does anyone know where i can get a 5 volt source for my AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor? I was reading and it said to get it from the TPS but the diagram i have doesnt tell me voltages (either that or i dont know how to read them). Im down to the wiring right now and this is where im stumped. I have a ton of pics to show but my photobucket is fucking up and has been fucked up for like 2 days. If anyone can help me PLEASE DO! Ill be working on wrapping this fucking thing up this weekend! WOOT WOOT!

you can get 5v from the MAS

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast