The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Water sound when I step on gas

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Water sound when I step on gas

I have noticed for a wile now that when I have my car sitting in park and I lightly tap on the gas I hear a sort of gurgling water sound if that makes any sense. It sounds like its coming from behind my dash. I have had the problem where the a/c drain plug gets clogged and water pours onto the floor on the passenger side, but this is different. I don't see any water and the floor boards are dry. I only hear this sound when the car is in park and I lightly tap on the gas, or when I back up, and then start moving forward. If I tap harder on the gas pedal while the car is in park it doesn't make the sound. Even if I tap on the pedal lightly after hitting the gas hard it doesn't make the sound. Any clues as to what this could be? I did a search, but all I could find was the a/c drain plug issue.
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

it happen too in my wife camry, and i dont have idea where that sound come from.

JDM front covension Old style vr4,18"axis black seven mod,clifford alarm,egr rear window visor,kenwood unit 7"screen DVD,two tones paint job,3G strut bar , HID's.

Could it just be the right revs to get a weird acoustic exhaust sound, i hear a kinda squiggly watery sound when i take a round about at some speed

I'm not sure. I will try to get a sound clip of it the next time I get in the car, but its so quiet I don't know if the camera will even be able to pick up the sound.

Experienced TGC Member
    Mine did that too.. Im sure it was coming from the heater core.. It hasnt done it in a while... or maybe my exhaust is too loud to hear it now. LOL

i would still say check your AC drain plug. if you ever take a look inside the dash, the water collects at the bottom of the dash, before spilling out onto the passenger floor. By the time it hits the passenger floor, theres probably already 1 pint of sitting water inside the dash area.

Ive got a bronco II that makes the noise...like pouring water sound when the coolent in low.....try checking that..

Most likely just coolant flowing through the system. Or fuel, but that's not as likely

i had the same problem. for me it was a low coolant level. its just the sound of the coolant going through the heater core. happens if you dont bleed the system properly, or just run low on coolant. i would say check that out.
    98 Galant ES
    Current Mods - To many to mention here.
    Future Plans - 4G63T swap and 5 speed swap
    Big Thanks To YOU ALL for all the help you provide

no way its the fuel... it would be a hiss....or a splatter when it hit the ground... I think wayfast has his thumb on it... same thing my bronco does. and its the coolant in the heater core rushing in when the water pump creates a suddent but breif pressure increse

Thank You so much guys! I think you might be right about the coolant. I have noticed that every few months I have to top off my coolant. I noticed yesterday it was a little low. I will top it off today and see if that stops the sound. I need to figure out why my coolant is running low every few months. I have noticed white smoke a couple of times when starting my car. Is that a sighn of burning coolant?

white smoke at start up and then dissipating when the engine starts to reach temp is a sign of burning coolant. You might have a crack or leak somewhere, check the head gasket.

Any idea what a shop would charge to check my head gasket and replace it if needed?

it would cost a bit more than changing your t-belt, since you gotta remove the head, disconnect the manifold, then put it all back, including lining up the timing belt.

Damn! In other words its going to be pricey. I guess I better start saving now.

I know this is old but . . . any updates on this?

Quote Originally Posted by echo12 View Post
    I know this is old but . . . any updates on this?
    would you just burp your cooling system, and when i say that pull the radiator cap off and let the car warm up, squeeze the upper rad hose to allow air to come out, keep hose crimped to make sure that you do not suck in more air and start pouring in more coolant (you may need a second person) repeat this until there is no more air coming out of the system and that problem will be gone.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.