The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OBX Ignition COils

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

OBX Ignition COils

I on to change the coils (02 2.4) and looking at ebay I saw this "high power coils" from OBX, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-X...Q5fAccessories
    Does this really compared to OEM works? Are worth it?

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    One of the users on this site, whos name escapes me was using them and one of them melted on him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    One of the users on this site, whos name escapes me was using them and one of them melted on him.
    Thats not very good... if someone here has them im sure they will post in here soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    X2, I would think twice if I were you. Found the other user's build thread, check it out for yourself:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...&highlight=obx

Success is achieved through dedication and personal sacrifice. Eye for an Eye_Tooth for Tooth_Blood for Blood.

^^woah those look bad

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Yeahhhh about those, I would really recommend you not to really use those at all since it melted on one of the members motor.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

mrg is in the middle of contacting the company and seeing what he can do about it, but I would stick with OEM

Experienced TGC Member
    First let me say that for a coil to melt there is other issues that cause this. Manufacturing of these things is pretty simple and they are not common to be melted. Other factors suchs as improper spark plugs used, not changing regularly, bad O2 sensor, faulty wiring...

The really is no reason you would need to "upgrade" the ignition coil. You need to also understand the ignition system on the 8g 4 cylinder is not as weak as its V6 counterpart which is ran from a distributor. The 4 cyl ignition is an Electronic Ignition and uses high power coils, you have two coils, 1 for each par of plugs which is sufficient for a lot of boosted folks even.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    First let me say that for a coil to melt there is other issues that cause this. Manufacturing of these things is pretty simple and they are not common to be melted. Other factors suchs as improper spark plugs used, not changing regularly, bad O2 sensor, faulty wiring...

The really is no reason you would need to "upgrade" the ignition coil. You need to also understand the ignition system on the 8g 4 cylinder is not as weak as its V6 counterpart which is ran from a distributor. The 4 cyl ignition is an Electronic Ignition and uses high power coils, you have two coils, 1 for each par of plugs which is sufficient for a lot of boosted folks even.
    I was hoping it would be ok since I am going to be boosted, awesome thanks

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    I was hoping it would be ok since I am going to be boosted, awesome thanks
    Marc is still running his stock coils, pushing around 11-12psi I believe.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Marc is still running his stock coils, pushing around 11-12psi I believe.
    Ok well I was hoping it will be ok, I am going to be running on an HKS Twin Fire and starting off going to be runing 5-8 psi after tune and going to be pushing up after brake in between 18-20 psi. So I just wanna make sure the coil packs are going to be ok on stock.

Then is a BIG NO, thanks Guys!

I was the member that had the melted coil packs, lets just say stay the f*** away, OBX has not contacted me back. For the money i paid for them i am pretty pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    I was the member that had the melted coil packs, lets just say stay the f*** away, OBX has not contacted me back. For the money i paid for them i am pretty pissed off.
    Damn dude that really sux I hope all goes well with that

I would say anything that has obx on it they are a shitty ass company.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Yeah i hope so too. I was on their website today, and it was saying that all OBX products have a iftime warrenty, Yet they wont contact me to honor it????

Did you try to contact the seller? I think electronic devices are not covered but the seller at least should offer few days.

I did but the day i went to contact them ebay listed them as a discontinued store, so i am assuming that they went outta business, i bought mine from titan overstock, which if you go onto OBX's website they are listed as a authorized vendor

Some products from OBX isnt really that bad at all....well maybe two things arent that bad which is the Racing headers or the turbo manifold they have, and the cam gear they have. The electronics I wouldnt trust for shit, but other than that you should keep trying to contact the seller which is on ebay I believe you said...go thew paypal or ebay open a case. Once you open one than everything will be fine either you get money back or another to replace it which ever you two deside.

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    thats pretty messed up that they havent contacted you... but I have bought the same pair of obx ignition coils because I had a p0300 I installed it and the DTC went away I have those same ignition coils for a little over a year now and they haven't melted at all... you must have had something we call in quality control as "the one that got away"
    Last edited by Hibolt; 06-03-2010 at 04:14 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast