The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Top end power loss !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 43
    Albert if it was the tranny it should be making noise but the fact that it shifts smoothly into every gear band no noise tells me that the tranny if fine and it just wouldn't make ant sense how is the tranny restericting me at 100mph
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    did, anyone consider the trans to have a problem?
    Thats what I was wondering since the issues are only present in 5th gear. 1,2,3,4 all rev to redline fine, car revs to redline/rev limiter in neutral, but will not gain pas 4K in 5th.

I am honestly not sure what would cause this type of scenario but it has me very puzzled as well.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Ok so I asked them to try to hit 100mph in 4th. They said when they tried that it was really hard but they hit it in 4th and they noticed as they were getting closer to 100 the car started losing power and it was very hard to get there once they did they shifted into 5th and the highest they got to was 103 which still absolutely makes no sense. Something is restricting my power at 100
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    Ok so I asked them to try to hit 100mph in 4th. They said when they tried that it was really hard but they hit it in 4th and they noticed as they were getting closer to 100 the car started losing power and it was very hard to get there once they did they shifted into 5th and the highest they got to was 103 which still absolutely makes no sense. Something is restricting my power at 100
    How is the acceleration to 60 and to 100. Is the low end being hurt too?

I would dyno if it feels sluggish. You may be power limited to 100 and something may be restricting you that way.

Low end if just fine
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    nothing makes sense......
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

sounds like a trans issue honestly. Like 5th gear is not completely engaging or something. if it revs up fine in other gear but 5th I have no doubt its a trans issue. If it's a motor issue it should be the same through all the gears ya dig?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    nothing makes sense......
    I agree with you there. I would check the trans that seems like the most likely issue. Trannies dont have to make noise if they are shot.

You said it shifts smooth so it doesnt seem like clutch, but 5th gear may be shot on the tranny. This is not a cat problem and it doesnt sound like a fuel problem. Trans is best bet Alex. Just stay under 100 until you can find some way to test another tranny in the car or have the tranny diagnosed by a shop.

Maybe try doing a 5th gear pull from 1k rpm. I know this is a bit of a strain, but it will be the best way to see if 5th gear slips at all. If that doesnt prove anything it still doesnt mean 5th gear isnt shot.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 01-12-2010 at 04:35 PM

I know I managed to make stewi stumped lol

I don't know what to do beside start eliminating one problem at a time
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    I agree with you there. I would check the trans that seems like the most likely issue. Trannies dont have to make noise if they are shot.

You said it shifts smooth so it doesnt seem like clutch, but 5th gear may be shot on the tranny. This is not a cat problem and it doesnt sound like a fuel problem. Trans is best bet Alex. Just stay under 100 until you can find some way to test another tranny in the car or have the tranny diagnosed by a shop.

Maybe try doing a 5th gear pull from 1k rpm. I know this is a bit of a strain, but it will be the best way to see if 5th gear slips at all. If that doesnt prove anything it still doesnt mean 5th gear isnt shot.

What about the fact that my car is running stupid rich and I can smell fuel really bad at all times. Me and stewi had a short conversation on the phone and through text messages last night as I was trying to diagnose it and we suspected that I have an injector stuck in the open position

it might be a trans problem but as I have previously mentioned when I get closer to 100 even in 4th gear the car starts making less power. So I doubt it's a trans problem
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

What about the fact that my car is running stupid rich and I can smell fuel really bad at all times. Me and stewi had a short conversation on the phone and through text messages last night as I was trying to diagnose it and we suspected that I have an injector stuck in the open position

it might be a trans problem but as I have previously mentioned when I get closer to 100 even in 4th gear the car starts making less power. So I doubt it's a trans problem
    But it being stupid rich would cause an issue with the low end as well I would assume. What rpm does a 5spd hit 100 at in 4th, I can only go by auto or the e36 which arent geared the same.

This can be a combo of it running rich and a 5th gear issue, but alone a fuel issue wuld not cause this.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    But it being stupid rich would cause an issue with the low end as well I would assume. What rpm does a 5spd hit 100 at in 4th, I can only go by auto or the e36 which arent geared the same.

This can be a combo of it running rich and a 5th gear issue, but alone a fuel issue wuld not cause this.
    actually, it is feasible that a fuel issue could cause it. It could be a mix of things but it is possible to have too much fuel that the engine is flooding. so if he has an injector stuck open it will be WAYYYY too rich and it will flood the motor pretty much drowning it in fuel and not getting the right ratio to run correctly.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    actually, it is feasible that a fuel issue could cause it. It could be a mix of things but it is possible to have too much fuel that the engine is flooding. so if he has an injector stuck open it will be WAYYYY too rich and it will flood the motor pretty much drowning it in fuel and not getting the right ratio to run correctly.
    That it why I asked about the low end power cause that richness should effect it all around not just at 100mph+.

An injector is probably the cheapest route to fix so fix that and see if the problem is gone. That would be great, but I dont think its a flooding issue.

And I don't think it's a tranny issue
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

And I don't think it's a tranny issue
    Well I guess fixing the known problem and then diagnosing as it comes would be best route. It is possible its not tranny its just a weird scenario.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    well now im stuck on stupid. Only things i can think of is Timing, Tranny, and your fuel.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member
    have you checked the maps on your ecu? if you verify that they are all correct then you can narrow it down to a mechanical problem.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I asked him about that, the ECU is stock and untouched.

I thought it was a stuck injector for sure last night. Its definetly electrical. There is no reason the trans would stop mid 5th gear and just hold there. It seems to me at that RPM and Load% in 5th, the ECU is doing something to limit the revs. Either its limiting them or the super rich condition is screwing it up.

The thing is, if its not due to being rich, it could be so many things. Vehicle Speed Sensor, Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor, bad ecu, fpr, injector, tps sensor, etc.

Alex did you try swapping the speed sensor out? What about the TPS sensor? Im just throwing ideas out there at this point....my thought train fell off the track yesterday.....
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I haven't checked the sensors yet i spent most of my day with my cousin cuz he was leaving the country today and got back from the airport late. Mko was over looking at the car with my friends while I wasn't home.first thing I'll do is the speed sensor since I have that available to me
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Well this is something... If you can rev to redline in nutral then you should have no problem doing it in any gear period. Do you have large injectors/different fpr/pump?? if so have you made any changes to the ecu?
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast