The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2 cars, options?

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    maximus

2 cars, options?

I have to 97s, both have ~150k miles.
    Both are technically running, both AT, but one is up on blocks.

The one in the drivable car is putting out white smoke but drives ok, so I figure I'll rebuild the other one before this one dies.

After compression testing, I was going take the head off and have it rebuilt.
    Assuming the compression is ok, I was hoping to not have to rebuild the block on either motor.

What other things should I consider while I have it apart?
    I'm new to this engine, but I understand it is somewhat similar to the 4g63 turbo that comes in similar year Eclipses?

I'm not looking for performance, just extended life.

Thanks for input.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    motor is a 4g64 basically a big brother to the 63 as its a 2.4 but its mostly found SOHC and non turbo as no stock turbo versions were in the US.

best option is probably rebuild the other motor with all new everything and then throw it in the better car based on body and drivetrain then sell the other or build it into a turbo 5 spd monster over time and keep the 1 u just rebuilt as a daily
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

maximus
    2 other problems I forgot to mention:

The "good" (Champagne colored?) car is from up north and is pretty rusty.
    The "other" (black) car I bought from a junkyard here in OK and has no rust, but might have trouble getting the title transferred, plus it was hit from behind.

I don't really want to end up with 2 cars, will likely grab everything I can that I might need from the black one and re-junk it.

I might start a part-out thread when I'm done with it.

4g63 is 2.0L ?
    Last edited by maximus; 01-13-2010 at 12:06 AM Reason: 4g63 question

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    4g63 is 2.0L ?
    Yea the 4g63 is a 2.0L while the 4g64 is a 2.4L. Thats why Galanttuner10 added in that 4g64 big brother comment.

Success is achieved through dedication and personal sacrifice. Eye for an Eye_Tooth for Tooth_Blood for Blood.

Where do you have rust? as long as its mainly undercarriage and no strut rot or any other real places id let it go.. mine isnt that rusty up here in CT lol

so since you want 1 car. rebuild the 64 in the car you are going to rejunk then put it in the car you are going to keep and then either rebuild that motor as a backup, build it or sell it for cheap as it smokes
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    Where do you have rust? as long as its mainly undercarriage and no strut rot or any other real places id let it go.. mine isnt that rusty up here in CT lol

so since you want 1 car. rebuild the 64 in the car you are going to rejunk then put it in the car you are going to keep and then either rebuild that motor as a backup, build it or sell it for cheap as it smokes

I think that's what I'll do.
    The rust is pretty bad around the struts and the fender well, but mostly underneath. I went to jack it up and it pushed up instead of lifting...
    the rear strut mounts have already been replaced and I'm finding parts that have been welded back together where a bolt couldn't be replaced. (like the ball joint, and wheel hub)

what other parts off the re-junker might I keep that are problematic on these years? power window motors/regulators? stuff like that?

keep anything you can if you have the space as you never know what will go on the car
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

maximus
    man I just got bad news from my mechanic.
    after replacing the ball joint, the steering was making weird creaking and an occasional popping noise. so he put it up on a lift and found the rack and pinion was damaged when the ball joint broke.
    I just priced a new one and it's around $275 for the whole package.

He did an alignment but said it's still far out of whack and couldn't get any better with the current rack/pinion.
    It makes so many weird and unsettling noises, the steering wheel is tilted at about 45 degrees, and it pulls pretty hard.

Apparently it's safe to drive, but he actually advised me to sell the car.
    Not sure what to do...
    Last edited by maximus; 01-14-2010 at 06:48 PM Reason: typo

maximus
    also, he advised that pulling the rack/pinion out of my junker car wouldn't be a good idea.

and I'd agree..

maximus
    Does anyone disagree with the idea of swapping rack/pinion from the junker car?

I did compression tests:

Junker:
    1 - 210
    2 - 210
    3 - 209
    4 - 209

"Rusty":
    1 - 189
    2 - 188
    3 - 181
    4 - 189

210 is normal?

maximus
    alright, I sold the running one.

am rejunking the other one, even with good engine and trans.
    i'm nowhere near 50 posts, so can't start a part-out thread.

thanks again for your help here.

u shoulda kept 1 wut the hell man
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

maximus
    haven't sold it yet.

i also have the haynes manual that i just paid $25 for.
    someone paypal me like $10 for shipping and you can have it.
    good condition

honestly 7gs are great and i would have kept 1
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

maximus
    the trunk is smashed in where it got rear-ended.
    interior is rough, driven by a smoker.

i would have swapped all the good shit onto the most solid car but hey. if you like 7gs id find another 1
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR