The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 170k Galant Woes

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Randolph

Icon5 170k Galant Woes

Hey. New guy here from Long Island, New York. Just wondering a few things. First off. I drive a 1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES which just hit 170,000 miles a few days ago. Bought the car in 2000 with 38,000 miles. Car is daily driven to Brooklyn and back each day + mid day commutes.

Burns oil like a mo-fo. We don't even get oil changes anymore. How much oil should I be adding? I been doing 4 quartz every week or two. Some are telling me that its too much but then some are saying that sounds about right. Even the people at Autozone said it sounds about right. But...thats alot of oil and alot of money at the same time. Any ideas?

Also. Cars soon going to be kept as a local car, as we are putting down cash on a brand new 2007 Pearl White Mitsubishi Galant ES with ONLY 10K miles!!!!!

But...minus the windows being off track, the car burning oil, the tints peeling, the passenger axel snapping, the starter going on us, a tranny rebuild, its lasted us a while heh.

Last edited by Randolph; 01-13-2010 at 09:57 PM

um after 190k before my rebuild i was only going through about 1 qt every oil change so you are going through a lot IMO.

Does it burn when you start or while you are driving, could be guide seals which would be pretty easy to do if you are good with cars or if you could find another head to just put about 150 bucks in and rebuild it.

If it burns all the time then the rings are shot or the cylinders are worn to shit, then you are looking at a full rebuild again not to much to do if you do it yourself, but going to have to get the head and block checked to make sure they are flat.

If i where you would do a quick compression test you should get 140+ psi for normal ring wear on that many miles, and if you are then i would say that you have bad guide seals. If not then you are looking at a rebuild.

Hope this helps some.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Randolph
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    um after 190k before my rebuild i was only going through about 1 qt every oil change so you are going through a lot IMO.

Does it burn when you start or while you are driving, could be guide seals which would be pretty easy to do if you are good with cars or if you could find another head to just put about 150 bucks in and rebuild it.

If it burns all the time then the rings are shot or the cylinders are worn to shit, then you are looking at a full rebuild again not to much to do if you do it yourself, but going to have to get the head and block checked to make sure they are flat.

If i where you would do a quick compression test you should get 140+ psi for normal ring wear on that many miles, and if you are then i would say that you have bad guide seals. If not then you are looking at a rebuild.

Hope this helps some.
    I can bring it to my mechanic tomorrow. He would be able to do a compression test, correct? Also, just driving. I mean I use to do 1 quart but started doing 4 recently when I would check the oil dipstick and realize i'm not seeing any oil on the stick, but after 4 quarts you would see oil drip off the stick. I hope I am not adding too much. Thanks for the information. :)

Also: we are going to be having a tune up done. Nothing has been changed since we bought the car. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Randolph; 01-13-2010 at 10:03 PM

Yea they can do it too other wise you can do it by renting the compression tester from autozone its really easy to do, just take a spar plug out of one cylinder at a time, screw the compression tester into the spark plug hole, disconnect the distributor power and have someone crank the engine a few times, the gauge will peak and hold. Do the same for each. simple test.

Fore the tune up:
    First timing belt for sure.....

Spark plugs, wires, oil change with filter, cap and rotor, trans flush, coolant flush and the misc checks they will do.

Also if you want since you have not changed the oil in awhile and if you have good compression i would dump 1/3rd a bottle of seafoam into the engine and then the rest into the gas tank. Drive the car for about 30 miles and then change the oil, will clean up the inside of the engine and break down any sludge that will be present.

1996 galant s

Randolph
    Wow. Thank you for the information. I am going to relay this to my mother and get back to you. I appreciate this ALOT. :)

No problem let us know how it turns out for you!

1996 galant s

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    thats way too much my 96 burns a qt over like 5k miles( i run synthetic) and i believe i am on original everything except plugs and wires as thats all ive replaced in my 3 years of having this car
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Hey check the valve cover gasket as well...I run through oil too and I found out my gasket was kinda rotted out. It was also brought to my attention that the rear main seal could leak and that would be an oil consumption issue too...if it has failed that is. Good luck

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

see if it is even leaks oil from the bottom
    i guess that should be first?
    http://www.gasketer.ecrater.com/
    get you OEM parts with low price

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Look in your distributor area and see if there is oil dripping from under the cover.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

oil pan could need to be resealed as well...trying to cover all bases here

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Randolph
    Well. The PCV valve was shot so that was replaced. The timing belt he said lets not mess with it. New brakes/rotors was done today. Oil he said I added way too much and just give it two weeks and check it...but its good as it is now. He said the car runs good and sounds good. Said car DOESN'T need a tuneup. "if it aint broke dont fix it" I guess the good old saying goes.
    Last edited by Randolph; 01-14-2010 at 10:59 PM

so um y were u adding so much oil.. adding 4 quarts that often is rediculous as when ur down that muchs its basically 80 percent of the oil in the system is missing and ur engine would have seized by now
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Randolph
    i don't even know dude. as long as the car is good now...im straight hah.

i hear you but youd know if you were putting in too much oil as it would be being pushed out of the crank case and youd see it of u looked around the crank while under the car. over filling is just as bad as running low on oil so just keep an eye and dont go crazy
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Randolph
    thanks for the info. :)

it proly leaks out too. oil pan gasket, front main seal
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread