The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Manual tranny, EVO ECU setup w/boomslang harness

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 83

Manual tranny, EVO ECU setup w/boomslang harness

I know i've asked about this in my project section (sorry for reposting about it) but i have an EVO ECU and the boomslang harness. The oddity in this is I now have a manual transmission. I'm wondering how the ECU setup would be like, both the stock ecu and EVO ecu would be needed for the auto, but how did the members with evo ecus do their setup with a manual? Rewire the harness without the needed pins for auto?

thanks in advance.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Experienced TGC Member
    Curious why you added an Evo Ecu? Your stock ECU is newer than an 01 so you could just as easily reflash your stock ECU for tuning instead of messing around with the Evo ECU.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

I was originally gonna go turbo(with auto tranny) and considering i'm on 02 i wouldn't pass emissions in NJ, so i bought the evo ecu and boomslang harness. Now i'm manual. Plus i've seen other members go with the evo ecu with manual transmission swaps. Not too sure if i'm able to swap the code into the Galant ecu and not throw codes. :?

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

if you are still going to go turbo, then yes, you will need the evo ecu. The galant ecu is flashable , but since it does not understand boost, you cannot tune for when the car is in boost. using an evo ecu will also allow for all the neat mods made by tephra and the other evoM ecu gurus

what you will need now instead of using a boomslang harness to run dual ecus, is a boomslang conversion harness. you plug one end into the stock harness, and the other end will be pinned out correctly for the evo ecu. Or, you can hack off the end of the stock harness and solder the evo ecu connector onto it (this is the harder and most time consuming route).

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    if you are still going to go turbo, then yes, you will need the evo ecu. The galant ecu is flashable , but since it does not understand boost, you cannot tune for when the car is in boost. using an evo ecu will also allow for all the neat mods made by tephra and the other evoM ecu gurus
    that's one of the main reasons, yes i will go boost when i get the rest of the parts and the DP welded, and i can use the software mods to eliminate the solenoid codes.

what you will need now instead of using a boomslang harness to run dual ecus, is a boomslang conversion harness. you plug one end into the stock harness, and the other end will be pinned out correctly for the evo ecu. Or, you can hack off the end of the stock harness and solder the evo ecu connector onto it (this is the harder and most time consuming route).
    so i have to call up boomslang again and ask for another harness? :(
    or is there anyway i can use the current harness I have now and rewire the pins to work with the evo ecu only?
    Last edited by run1206; 01-14-2010 at 11:39 AM

Experienced TGC Member
    You might want to follow up more on the ECU Flash stuff then...as far as I have read on Club3g there is oppostie information about tuning for boost.

www.blackheartmotors.net

I've been checking up on club3G for a little bit on the ROM situations, i'll search more to see anyone who successfully used the original eclipse ecu. I wanted to go with the Evo ecu cuz it already has turbo maps built in the hardware. as long as I can get a physical connection (extension or conversion harness), the software would be the next part.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by run1206 View Post
    I've been checking up on club3G for a little bit on the ROM situations, i'll search more to see anyone who successfully used the original eclipse ecu. I wanted to go with the Evo ecu cuz it already has turbo maps built in the hardware. as long as I can get a physical connection (extension or conversion harness), the software would be the next part.
    Dragon34x is one of the most recent members there that I have seen using EcuFlash to tune. The preset maps in the Evo ECU are a good starting point, but not sure I see them worth the money in an 01+ ECU that is flashable know what I mean?

The only thing you would need to hook up to your ECU and flash it would be EvoScan or MitsuLogger, and a Taxtrix cable...no boomslang harness or any of that stuff.

www.blackheartmotors.net

i've falshed my stock ecu before, ecuFlash, evoscan and scanTech to monitor readings, and i have the cable as well.
    is Dragon34x a Galant driver or Eclipse driver?

if i'm going with the evo ecu, i HAVE to use some kind of harness to convert, the stock Galant harness is different from the evo connections (Galant ecu has 3 rows, evo has only two)

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by run1206 View Post
    i've falshed my stock ecu before, ecuFlash, evoscan and scanTech to monitor readings, and i have the cable as well.
    is Dragon34x a Galant driver or Eclipse driver?

if i'm going with the evo ecu, i HAVE to use some kind of harness to convert, the stock Galant harness is different from the evo connections (Galant ecu has 3 rows, evo has only two)
    Well you pretty much have everything you would need already it seems like. Dragon34x is an Eclipse driver, but a lot of those folks know the tuning stuff quite well on the 4cyl and V6, plsu the Evo ecu stuff as well. I would definitely hit up people on Club3g for some information and tech help on the tuning with EcuFlash on your stock ECU before taking the Evo Ecu much further.

www.blackheartmotors.net

i have not been reading up on the c3g forums recently, but last time I checked, they were flashing Evo roms over their Eclipse ECUs. Is that what youre referring to?

It sounds like the best/easiest route to go is to get a conversion harness for the Galant harness to work on the EVO ECU. I thought if your car was 5-speed then you wouldnt need the Galant ECU? I thought you could run the EVO ECU by itself? That's what I was planning to do for a while.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    i have not been reading up on the c3g forums recently, but last time I checked, they were flashing Evo roms over their Eclipse ECUs. Is that what youre referring to?
    That may be what they are doing as well..im not sure...so much information over there on this topic its hard to keep it all "collected."

www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member
    Eclipse and Galant ecu are different according to goosey, according to him the evo and eclipse m/t ecu are comparable.

Does anyone have the pinout for the galant ECU? I just wann match evo and galant up.

Heres the evo pinout if anyone needs it...

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...-ecuwiring.htm
    Last edited by WhiteGalant; 01-14-2010 at 02:03 PM
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    It sounds like the best/easiest route to go is to get a conversion harness for the Galant harness to work on the EVO ECU. I thought if your car was 5-speed then you wouldnt need the Galant ECU? I thought you could run the EVO ECU by itself? That's what I was planning to do for a while.
    that's exactly what i was gonna do

whiteGalant: check club3g and search for evo ecu. One of the guys there made a file called MYECU.xls, which has all the diagrams of all the pinouts needed.

what confuses me is that we have the galant ecu, the eclipse (m/t) and evo ecus are different from ours. i'll look more into the whole swapping ROMs into our ecu. I still might consider the conversion harness as well, i might be able to get that harness as well depending on my funds.

Experienced TGC Member
    Have any of you guys ever seen the thread on evom of the guy with a lancer that swapped to the evo ecu? Basically all i think we need to do is get a conversion harness and load our rom onto the evo ecu. I think we are just making this more complicated then it really is.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    Eclipse and Galant ecu are different according to goosey, according to him the evo and eclipse m/t ecu are comparable.
    I am curious why the Eclipse and Galant ECU are different? As far as I have read the 01-02 should be mostly identical between the two as long as you are comparing to the Eclipse A/T Ecu as the M/T is obviously different. Both platforms run the exact same engine (4cyl and V6), with the only exception that of the GTS which has the variable intake system with it. There is a pin out of the Galant ECU in the FSm and when I was comparing the Eclipse ECU pinout with mine I saw few changes (obvious changes from the 99-00 ECU wiring).

You can certainly swap in the entire Evo ECU with the ECU pigtails and wire it all up yourself, its possible to be done, but then again if they are flashing the Evo ROMs onto the Eclipse Ecu then why switch over to that Ecu? Again, only key difference to keep in mind is going from our A/t Ecu to an M/T ecu which will be completely different.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    Have any of you guys ever seen the thread on evom of the guy with a lancer that swapped to the evo ecu? Basically all i think we need to do is get a conversion harness and load our rom onto the evo ecu. I think we are just making this more complicated then it really is.
    All you need to do here is get the Definition file from Club3g for the Galant (I have 1 or 2 on my laptop at home). I guess I am confused as to why we load it onto the Evo ecu though if your existing Ecu is 01+ and is flashable when you are wanting to load the same ROM onto either one.

Key thing right now is getting the difinitive answer from folks running EcuFlash and tuning with it on a boosted setup to see what is possible with the EcuFlash program, and what else would be necessary (besides a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor)

www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member
    Yea thats whats got me worried, going from a/t to m/t. I was thinking of picking up a eclipse m/t ecu because it could definitely be had for cheaper then the evo ecu, especially coming from the junkyard, I may try that first since its alot cheaper, does anyone know if the plugs on the eclipse ecu are the same as the plugs on the galant ecu?

ECU plugs have been always the same for mitsu since 96 just pinouts are different
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast