The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: JDM Bumpers In Detail Explanation!..

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 166

JDM Bumpers In Detail Explanation!..

JDM Bumpers In Detail Explanation:

What is a JDM bumper?
    - Japanese Domestic Market aka JDM are parts from overseas which do not come standard on USDM cars.

Are they expensive?
    -Depends on what you think is expensive, they range from $500usd -$1500+usd with the proper fog lights.

What material are they fiberglass or polyurethane?
    - They come in both forums, all aftermarket JDM kits come in fiberglass from vendors such as( vouge,liberal etc). While common bumpers which come standard/option from oversea dealers are polyurethane just like your stock USDM bumper material.

How hard are they to install?
    - They are not very hard to install, you do have to do some cutting on your car. Don't get discouraged or scared its very minor and only takes couple hours at most. Many common JDM bumpers require you to trim the sides of you stock USDM crash bar to fit. While other JDM bumpers such as the VRG require you to REMOVE your crash bar completely.

So all i need is a JDM Bumper and im done?
    - Yes & No. You will need JDM headlights & grille, this is recommend because the JDM bumpers are meant for JDM headlights. If you keep you stock USDM headlight then you will have a gap which doesn't look so good. But some people might not care which is why i put yes/no. Now you might ask then why do i need another grill if i buy JDM heads, while my stock grill is fine?. JDM headlights are longer then USDM headlights so your grill is NOT going to fit which is why you need an TRUE JDM grille which is shorter & will fit. If you have JDM headlights & grille then everything should/will fit like STOCK. *JDM headlights & grille fitment will be covered in another thread.

Okay where can i buy JDM good?
    - TRIGG aka "triggermauve" He lives in japan, and has been serving JDM parts for many years. Great seller & fast shipper!

So what Bumpers are there?
    -Well there are ALOT, so were going to cover the top 3 bumpers available & easiest ones to obtain from trigg.

JDM- Bumpers Available In Polyurethane
    '98+ JDM VR4 /Viento (new style)

This bumper just requires you to trim the ends on your crash bar, so it still keep in-tack of the stock crash bar which is much safer. Picture above shows trimmed sides of crash bar, cut both ends that way.

'96-'97 JDM VR4 (old style)

This bumper just requires you to trim the ends on your crash bar, so it still keep in-tack of the stock crash bar which is much safer. Just as new style for fitment.

VR-G
    NO LIP:

With LIP:

This bumper requires you to REMOVE your stock crash bar in order to fit! I HIGHLY suggest you get an body-shop to make you a decent crash bar which fits behind this bumper, its not worth safety for looks!

Well, their u have it a easy guide to JDM bumpers, i hope this answered alot of your questions & puts you in the right track to start moding your galant! *Beware JDM parts are contagious! :twisted:
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    And this is the Euro Spec Bumper...

JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Let me help you expand this thread a little further:

99-05 VR-G (New style w/o fogs)

99-05 VR-G (New style w/ fogs)

'96-'97 JDM VR4 (old style) w/Super VR-4 add-ons

Also, for those who likes to browse Ebay motors a lot, there are 2 other sellers that sell JDM Galant parts at a reasonable price (and extremely fast shipping too).

Keith Tau
    Visit his store here

Everspring-Sports
    Visit his store here

Bought stuff from eversprings three times now, and he ships to the us in 2 days with dhl its awesome.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Perfect, thanks for the additional info! galant306 sticky this!! =)
    13 GTR

excellent thread. finally it's put all in one place. i'm gonna sticky it right now.

i'd like to add, that for aftermarket fiberglass full bumpers such as LIBERAL, VOGUE etc., u have to source an alternate importer since TRIGGERMAUVE can not send these; they are just too big (and shipping is based on size not weight). TRIGGERMAUVE sends stock bumpers folded (they are polyurathane and can be unfolded and straightened after receiving), he can however send fiberglass lips cut in half to make shipping not so cost prohibitive. for a full fiberglass aftermarket bumper from japan, you will have to pay about $600-$800 shipping and import fees (customs), on top of the cost of the bumper itself (often brokers charge full retail price in order to make their proifit). this is why there are only a handful of 8G JDM aftermarket bumpers in the US.

also don't forget fog lights when planning a conversion. all OE JDM bumpers have appliction specific foglights that are not easily sourced in the US.

if you need to translate foreign pages use world.altavista.com (babelfish). if you need to convert currency, use xe.com .

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    And this is the Euro Spec Bumper...

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    99-05 VR-G (New style w/o fogs)

99-05 VR-G (New style w/ fogs)
    well yes and no. this is the VRG "facelift" bumper, it was available in japan as well as other asian countries, the middle east, south america, and europe. for the most part, each model/bumper had 2 versions, original/prefacelift and update/facelift.... this is the same as over here (7GA/7GB, 8GA/8GB, 9GA/9GB/9GC). the problem in describing JDM/worldspec bumpers by year is that different countries got upgrades in different years. if you go strictly by JDM years then it works, but you might be buying from a country other than japan and then the year convention might be askew for their home market.

Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    wait, do you have pics of the vogue and liberal bupmers??? i think those would be good in this thread too........
    there are actually more than 20 different bumpers available worlwide for the 8G.

as for the one's you asked to see, they're pretty easy to find on the internet. here:

VOGUE No. 03.7 - EVOLUTION (full front bumper)

VOGUE No. 03-03.5 (lip and grill) for update bumper

No. 03-03.5 (full front bumper, grill and lip)

LIBERAL (full front bumper and grill)

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    what about the dophin aeroform?
    gosh you guys are lazy.

here ya go:

DOLPHIN AEROFORM (lip and grill) for original VR4 bumper

DOLPHIN AEROFROM (full bumper and grill)

Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    No. 03-03.5 (full front bumper, grill and lip)

i'm loving this one.......and i want moar!!!
    so look it up. it's easy to find.

Front bumper spoiler 2 piece ¥59,000
    Front grille ¥20,000

btw, TRIGGERMAUVE will not ship this; it's too big. to get this bumper you gotta go through an importer, see my earlier post for an estimate and what's involved.

Quote Originally Posted by iisaac021 View Post
    I like the very 1st one '98+ JDM VR4 /Viento (new style) how would i be able to get this front for my 8g?
    contact TRIGGERMAUVE or find it on EBAY (international) or contact CALI for FG replica parts in the US. you looked at the pictures but you missed this:

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    ...Okay where can i buy JDM good?
    - TRIGG aka "triggermauve" He lives in japan, and has been serving JDM parts for many years. Great seller & fast shipper!...

Quote Originally Posted by nando View Post
    HEY can't see the pic on where you gotta cut that bar.
    that's probably because there wasn't one posted. haha!

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    sorry I think i lost it, reelax do you have one by chance?
    well my pics might be different because i had to cut the crash bar to fit MY bumper... but only 2 of us have that bumper in the US, so it might not be a good representation of what needs to be cut to fit the OE JDM bumpers. it seems the VR-G bumper gives the least amount of room and members that have done that conversion either go without a crash bar or have to fabricate a much smaller unit; the VR-4 versions usualy just need the ends trimmed off at an angle to fit behind the bumper.

here's my car with the bumper off and head lights/grill not installed:

(everything visible through the grills painted flat black)

Vouge Lip: Check the photo's on the 1st page.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ight=vouge+lip
    13 GTR

New style vrg frint bumper

Here is a new style VRG front bumper for sale if anyone is interested....

http://www.rpmgarage.com/new/detail/?tid=13989

http://www.rpmgarage.com/new/detail/?tid=13911

2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT GTZ

Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    what about jdm spoilers? like the super vr4 one and regular vr4 one...if it had one.. are they close to the evo 8 and 9 spoilers?
    what did you need to know? the VR4 spoiler is pretty much the GTZ spoiler. the super VR4 spoiler looks like this:

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmdvzla View Post
    Here is a new style VRG front bumper for sale if anyone is interested....

http://www.rpmgarage.com/new/detail/?tid=13989

http://www.rpmgarage.com/new/detail/?tid=13911
    The description says its a VR4, but its not...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    Also for those who are wondering...
    you can run Usdm headlights/usdm grill on a JDM bumper expect it to look like this

YOU WILL HAVE GAPS ON THE HEADLIGHTS MORE SO NEAR THE TURN SIGNALS..as for under the grill not really on the new style..

Old Style

New Style
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 02-09-2010 at 01:18 PM

Can a mod/admin remove some of the non topic stuff, don't want this stuff to get cluttered with junk.

02redgalant- Great pic in showing the gaps!..
    13 GTR

Thread cleaned up.

If you have something informative to add, please post here.

If you have questions, start another thread. Please do not post in this one.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

i think this is more of a mix-and-match, but will share anyway: new style/facelift grill + VR-G bumper + super VR4 extensions:

i have two g's, the left and the right.....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast