The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: JDM Bumpers In Detail Explanation!..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 166
    That's the uber rare VRM.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    That's the uber rare VRM.
    better pic of VR-M bumper:

the only member that i know that had this was DANGER DANJ.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Really? Wow it looks like a an Old Style VR4 with VRG fogs...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Really? Wow it looks like a an Old Style VR4 with VRG fogs...
    yeah it's like a cross between the two... look at it side by side w/ the VRG and the VR4:

VR4

VRM

VRG

notice it shares the hard crease above and below the foglight and the and shallowness of the VRG but then has the lower section and lower grill of the original VR4 (except the lower section is taller and more extended on the VRM).

I am about to purchase a new style front bumper from overseas. I could get it with or without an oem JDM crash bar. (Never knew they actually had one). My question is; Has anyone installed on their car this crash bar? is it a straight mod installation to put a JDM crash bar on a USDM galant? Or is it point less to do it and is better to cut the original one? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by dmdvzla; 02-28-2010 at 10:48 AM

2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT GTZ

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    just remove the foam and cut the original one, its simple enough... its only 2 45 degree cuts at the ends of the bar and is done in about 10 min.
    im also pretty sure that the jdm crash bar wont fit anyway i believe the frame rails are different. although im not 100% positive on that

Quote Originally Posted by dmdvzla View Post
    I am about to purchase a new style front bumper from overseas. I could get it with or without an oem JDM crash bar. (Never knew they actually had one). My question is; Has anyone installed on their car this crash bar? is it a strait mod installation to put a JDM crash bar on a USDM galant? Or is it point less to do it and is better to cut the original one? Thanks for the help!
    if it's going to cost alot more for shipping the JDM crash bar, then it's not worth it, just cut the one u have. the only bumper that it would be a good option for is the VRG since it is so shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by dmdvzla View Post
    I am about to purchase a new style front bumper from overseas. I could get it with or without an oem JDM crash bar. (Never knew they actually had one). My question is; Has anyone installed on their car this crash bar? is it a straight mod installation to put a JDM crash bar on a USDM galant? Or is it point less to do it and is better to cut the original one? Thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    just remove the foam and cut the original one, its simple enough... its only 2 45 degree cuts at the ends of the bar and is done in about 10 min.
    im also pretty sure that the jdm crash bar wont fit anyway i believe the frame rails are different. although im not 100% positive on that
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    if it's going to cost alot more for shipping the JDM crash bar, then it's not worth it, just cut the one u have. the only bumper that it would be a good option for is the VRG since it is so shallow.
    Thanks guy for your response. Does anyone else know for sure if the JDM front VR4 bumper crash bar will fit the USDM cars? (as far as the bolts that go to the frame...do they align? The crash bar is $260 shipped, and also I did not know that those bumpers also came with a reinforcement type of bar on the top, completely separate from the bumper and the crash bar....is this recommended to have so the bumper doesn't bend with time and sun hitting on top of it? I need to know ASAP so I complete my order.

Thanks people
    Last edited by dmdvzla; 03-03-2010 at 10:55 PM

2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT GTZ

JBelowPar18
    Hey everyone,

I thought this would be the best place for this post other than starting an entire new thread, but I was messing around last weekend when I was installing my Rear VRG Bumper Cover and it looks like the Front bumper reinforcement (crash bar) can be mounted in place of the rear one...

You have to cut the ends off just as if you're modifying it for a VR4 Front Bumper Cover, and it looks like I'm going to have to do some shortening of the rails that slide into the frame, then probably only use the first row of bolt holes for mounting, and I will also probably be using spacers to keep it sitting high enough, but I'm 99% sure it'll work...

Going to order a new one and install it in the next week or two... If it works, I'll try to post a thread with pics...

This could be a great low cost/safe option as compared to shipping a vrg crash bar overseas, having one custom made, or going without a crash bar at all...

This post is unclear to me, are you trying to say you can use the rear crash bar in the front? Or the front crash bar in the rear?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

blue8g
    i think he means front in rear......but not 100% sure

JBelowPar18
    The Front can be used to replace the rear...

The front is made of Steel and is thinner than the rear crash bar and the Rear is made of some sort hard plastic/composite material and is thicker... So you will need to use a front crash bar in place of the rear one for the VRG Rear Bumper Cover to fit over it... The width of the mounting rails on both are almost identical so the front crash bar will slide right into place in the rear...

Only problem is the stoppers for the rails in the rear aren't as deep, so I'm either going to cut the front crash bar rails shorter or use spacers to make the rails sit higher in their tracks... Then, if you slide the modified front crash bar until its flush against rear... The first row of mounting holes on the front crash bar should align with the second row of mounting holes in the rear track for the rails...

Clear as mud? Haha... I'll try to make a thread and post some pics after I finish it... It may not be a perfect fix, but like I said, I'm about 99% sure this will be a fairly easy job with a good dremel to trim the front bumper...

Note: This is only a good fix/alternative for those who already have a Rear VRG Bumper Cover or those who want to get one... I'm not saying to remove you're front crash bar and put it in the back, but I am saying a junkyard Galant Front Crash Bar is a lot more practical than a custom one and safer than none at all... Anyway, I should have it done within a week or two, so anyone wanting to try this may want to test this on their own with their existing front bumper or wait until I confirm it before spending any money
    Last edited by JBelowPar18; 03-16-2010 at 07:18 PM

^ yeah, come to think of it when I installed my rear VRG bumper I've noticed both crash bars looked all too similar. Nice find!

why would you need to replace the rear crash bar... doesn't the VRG bumper cover fit over the rear crash bar w/ the foam removed?

JBelowPar18
    no it doesn't... I have the VRG Rear bumper cover, and just installed it last week... you could slice the rear crash bar in half lengthwise and have enough room since its some sort of composite/plastic material, but who knows how that would hold up structurally in a wreck...

I believe the VR4 Rear Bumper cover will fit over the oem crash bar minus the foam though... you guys would know better than me...never had one...

anyway, I'll wait to post anything further until I've completed this mod, and then I'll post a new thread with pics, etc...
    Last edited by JBelowPar18; 03-17-2010 at 12:31 AM

I didnt know the VRG Rear was more shallow then the VR4 Rear, I thought it was only the case with the Front Bumper. Interesting, any pix of it installed?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    I didnt know the VRG Rear was more shallow then the VR4 Rear, I thought it was only the case with the Front Bumper. Interesting, any pix of it installed?
    news to me too.

I had this bumper too before and sold it to another member on here.

Frank :)

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    better pic of VR-M bumper:

the only member that i know that had this was DANGER DANJ.

When I installed my VRG rear bumper I remember shaving (sawing) 3/4 of the crash bar off just to get it fit. I've notice some people taking off the front crash bar completely just to get the front VRG bumper to fit right so there's a major difference from a VRG bumper, than to say, a VR4 bumper. There's no way in hell that would ever pass the highway safety rating with no crash bar that's probably why USDM bumpers are considerably safer than its jdm counterpart minus the looks.

where can i find the Vr-4 Viento bumper at?
    03 GTZ Grocery Getter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast