The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car falls on its face, stutter on accel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

Car falls on its face, stutter on accel

Hey all. Been reading this board for months for tips etc. I tried searching for this but nothing seems to help.

I just did a headgasket on my 96 Galant and now whenever I go past say 1/4 throttle it 'sputters' real bad and I have no power. It bogs really bad past 1/4 throttle until I let off throttle a bit then the power returns. Can't drive it like this on hwy and barely on sidestreets.

It ran fine before teardown. I have tried new NGK plugs, wires, rotor, cap. Checked timing and seems to be at about 10* btdc as well as double checked timing belt. I checked all vac lines and electrical connections. All seems fine. What am I missing/forgetting. Any ideas? Thanks a ton.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    your timing sounds off.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    your timing sounds off.
    ditto.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I agree but how? Isn't it all computer controlled? I never touched the dizzy. I guess I will try to adjust but according to the manual it seems like a real PITA. I hooked a light up and it's @ ~10* btdc at idle. Which is what it is supposed to be. Maybe it's not advancing for some reason? Thanks for the replies.

Experienced TGC Member
    were all the marks lined up when u put the timing belt back on?
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    were all the marks lined up when u put the timing belt back on?
    Yep. I even popped the timing cover off again to doublecheck as part of my troubleshooting. I am running out of ideas.
    Thanks

make a video.

it could be a spark or fuel issue
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

briggs
    maybe a dumb question but did you ground the thingy before you checked the timing. There is a connector located at the firewall thats brown. take the cover off then ground it. Then adjust the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    make a video.

it could be a spark or fuel issue

Will do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by briggs View Post
    maybe a dumb question but did you ground the thingy before you checked the timing. There is a connector located at the firewall thats brown. take the cover off then ground it. Then adjust the timing.
    No, but it says in the manual that if you check it, it should still be close.

It was at 10* btdc while idling and when I revved it, I saw it advance a bit. Maybe to around 20ish* btdc or so estimating the distance.

check all the line again, sound like timing is off
    jump a tooth?
    http://www.gasketer.ecrater.com/
    get you OEM parts with low price

Quote Originally Posted by kamenfaiz View Post
    check all the line again, sound like timing is off
    jump a tooth?
    Checked again when I swapped the dizzy from my other galant. Still does it. Do you guys think it could be bad gas? The car did sit for a while. Wouldn't it idle like crap too though or only when under load?

sounds like ur tensioner isnt set up right, if its jumping timing

Timing belt is fine. I have checked it 3 times.

diid u make a video?

Build Thread

I had a really similar problem, so bad that I couldn't really drive it up hills etc. My issue was the distributor though or one of the leads to the spark-plugs, which I ended up all replacing, so not sure what it was but one of the two, but I had the same problems.

diid u make a video?
    Here it is. May need to crank volume to hear the bog. Once I get going I lean into the throttle so it does it. Very hard to hear as I have stock exhaust. Maybe i will try have a friend video tape it from outside or something but we are having a snow storm so will be a bit hard to do.

Last edited by 9697Galant; 01-17-2010 at 06:47 PM

whats the code/s/ that the ECU is throwing?

Build Thread

whats the code/s/ that the ECU is throwing?
    P1443 but I think that was after I started messing with the vac lines thinking it was them. I took them off while running to see if there was a difference. I also had 2 of them reversed so that was probably why it threw that code. I think its for the EVAP solenoid, which I can hear working.

I started draining the gas. It smells somewhat stale. Just trying everything to rule it out. It has been sitting for 5 months. I didnt think it has been istting that long.

What's funny is I went to try and drain from the FPR/Return and nothing was coming out of that at all. I would think fuel would be streaming at idle.
    Last edited by 9697Galant; 01-17-2010 at 09:32 PM

I would think that it would might have deal with the fuel pump, filter?..asuming the both sides of the fpr was chekced
    Dose the car only sputter under acc? any while idling?
    or my other guess would be mabey your valve stem gaskets didnt seat right when redoing your headgasket,wet new plugs??
    Last edited by koji464; 01-19-2010 at 05:55 PM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast