The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car falls on its face, stutter on accel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 41
    I am planning on replacing the fuel filter tomorrow if fresh gas doesn't help the problem. I think the pump is fine. It was running fine when I parked it in the garage.

What do you mean about both sides of the fpr? I just disconnected the return line and nothing was coming out.

Valve stem seals are fine as well as plugs. I checked plugs and they look totally normal.

Thanks

So, I drained the gas and put 5 gallons of new premium in and nothing changed.

I tried unplugging the MAF and the idle went up and seemed to rev a bit better so I took it for a spin and it seemed better, but still not 100%. I suppose it is possible the MAF is bad. I will try the one from my other Galant if it is the same.

Swapped MAF, still same. Not sure what else to check. Could it be a bad ECU just from sitting in the garage? It is getting a bad A/F mix somehow I think.

briggs
    have you checked your injectors ? I pulled off my intake manifold by the time I put it back my #4 injector started acting up. luckily I had a spare and put it in and fixed the problem. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by briggs View Post
    have you checked your injectors ? I pulled off my intake manifold by the time I put it back my #4 injector started acting up. luckily I had a spare and put it in and fixed the problem. Just a thought.

i swapped the entire fuel rail and all 4 injectors from my good running galant and nothing changed.

OK so this is somewhat turning into a blog at this point lol. I am just going to update with what I have tried and what the fix is if I ever figure it out so others may use this. Most parts I have replaced came from my good running Galant. I am still driving it even with all the parts off the Galant in question.

-Gas tank drained and filled with 5 gallons of fresh new fuel
    -Fuel pump changed out
    -Fuel filter changed w/new one (Was filled with rusty gas! I thought for sure this was going to be the issue.)
    -Fuel injectors changed
    -FPR changed
    -Distributor changed
    -New cap, rotor, wires, and NGK plugs
    -Timing belt verified 4 times to be correctly aligned
    -All vacuum lines checked
    -MAS swapped
    -Fuel lines all checked and are in good shape

-There was a code P1443 but that has since cleared. I have NO Check Engine light as of now but car still doesnt have acceleration power. Idles perfect. Takes a few cranks to start which had me thinking fuel pump.
    Last edited by 9697Galant; 01-25-2010 at 10:55 AM

did you get new distributor or just cap and rotor? if you didnt that doesnt mean that the power transistor or the cam sensor work properly

can you rev it in neutral?
    Last edited by mko; 01-25-2010 at 10:58 AM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I swapped the entire Distributor from my other car. I was thinking of swapping the sensor on the top of the intake too.

It does rev in neutral but I can hear it stumble slightly when I stomp on the gas.

briggs
    have you checked the throttle position sensor. You test terminal 3 and 4 using and ohm meter. it should be open at idle, then as you open the throttle body you should get a smooth transition. fyi disconnect battery and connector. terminal 3 and 4 facing the back of the tps counting left to right.

Quote Originally Posted by briggs View Post
    have you checked the throttle position sensor. You test terminal 3 and 4 using and ohm meter. it should be open at idle, then as you open the throttle body you should get a smooth transition. fyi disconnect battery and connector. terminal 3 and 4 facing the back of the tps counting left to right.
    Yes, checked out fine. I actually tested the voltage; at idle position it was ~.95 volts and ~5v at WOT and went up steady as I slowly opened the throttle.
    Last edited by 9697Galant; 02-02-2010 at 08:24 PM

So the car started running a lot better but still 'misses' at 3/4 throttle and up. It really does seem like a spark issue but everything has been replaced with known good parts so I dont understand. The CEL was still on and I discovered it was actually the #2 EVAP solenoid under the intake, which I was not aware I had. Cali cars have this extra solenoid. So now the CEL is gone, but I still get stumbles at 3/4 throttle. I guess I will drive the a few hundred miles and see if it works itself out but I am skeptical.

briggs
    ok, I know yoru probably tired of chasing your tail on this. I've been having the same problem as you and I think I finally fixed it. In my case I went to the salvage yard and grabbed a few injectors. (wasn't about to buy new ones) I cleaned them and did a flow test (set up an apparatus, using a funnel hose and stand, glass with tape and a timer) I basically picked the four with the best flow rates. After installing them the car now idles and runs better than it ever had. Spark issues are easy to diagnose, as you can visually inspect the spart. I ran through this test also, installed new distributer and spark plugs.

good luck.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    when my car was doing that it was a coil pack

My car doesnt have coil packs. I have replaced all the injectors etc. It seems like it gets flooded and sounds like BAHhh comes out the exhaust when I romp it. Only way i can describe it. When it got better, I had cleaned the Manifold Pressure Differential sensor a bit, I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. i did a few other things along with that too so it could be.

TGC Regular
    my car is falling on its face too ! ( when i go to take off its missing really bad , it was no big deal for months, it would only do it once a day when i first started the car... ) but its been getting worse, where i can feel it missing all the time now, even cruising at a steady speed. and it really stutters when i go to take off, if i try going in reverse, it just falls on its face and dies after missing several times. it threw a code, says cylinder 2 misfire. but i got a brand new coil pack yesterday, and it was really really bad.. like it used to be in the mornings when i first took off, but stuttered and missed very bad, consistently. to the point to where i didn't wanna really go more than 5 mph, because it didn't just go away after i hit 2-3 k rpm. so i went back and grabbed my old coil pack out of the trash and it ran at least... i mean like it did before.. just sputtered when i first took off... But its getting worse now ... checked all my grounds, there all nice :) all 10 of them, 8ga ground for the win !

So i just went ahead and ordered everything, coil packs, wires, and plugs. Going to change them all tomorrow :) also going to take out my MAF and clean and service my throttle body as well..

But i hope that you figure out what is wrong with your ride man, defiantly keep us updated. I really wish i had a 7g ;p I love my 8g tho !

my guess would have been the distributor and coil packs... if you replaced all that and had all the wiring tested and it checked out... i dont know . my friend kevin has a snap on computer than you could plug into your odbII plug. and it would show you exactly everything that was going on, with the air fuel and spark, and what your ecu was doing and everything. but all the professional shops should have that equipment, it should show whats going on while your loosing power. if it is hooked up and does it while the computer is running.

I'm having this same issue. From a stop the engine spudders or stumbles or misfires whatever you want to call it. But it gets going and then it's fine on the highway or at any speed basically. it's only on acceleration from a stop that I notice it. I have a new tps, new iac, new o2, all belts, IM, I'm thinking it's fuel pump? or FPR.

Is the check engine light on? You cant just replace random things and hope the problem will disappear.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Is the check engine light on? You cant just replace random things and hope the problem will disappear.
    Yeah the check engine light has been on for a year now for a bad Catalytic. They cost about 400 bucks so I haven't bothered with it.

That may be the case, but if the light is on and a new condition causes a new code, the light will be on and you have no way of knowing you have additional codes unless you scan it. For our older cars buying a scantool is just about necessary, saves a ton of time and is a quick way of getting a broad diagnosis. Scan the car again and make sure the cat is the only code to be sure of what to do next.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast