The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: speedometer not working

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

speedometer not working

guys, i have a problem: my speedometer is not working properly. From time to time it starts working, works for a while and then it stops working. i checked everything: fuses, screws ...

what can happen?

is it just the speedometer or is it the whole cluster?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    is it just the speedometer or is it the whole cluster?
    juts the speedometer!!
    also forgot to say that there is the service engine soon light on. i took the car to the service, the guy checked everything, the fuses, the contacts, everything. he said that the only option was that (now i am not sure if i will put it right) there is something in transmission that can be out of order.

anyone?

can it be because of the speed sensor?

yeah it problably your speed sensor

what if from time to time the speedometer starts working. it works a while, and then again rests!!!

I would remove the speed sensor, clean the contacts between the wiring and the actual sensor and then replace the sensor. If that doesn't work, I would disconnect the ground and positive cables from the battery, hold the positive and negative wires together for about 10 seconds, wait about five minutes after that and then reconnect the cables to the battery, that should reset everything. Maybe that will work for you. I had the same problem with my speedometer but the cause of my problems was due to a stereo system install and a few wires being unnoticeably sliced, therefore causing a short. LOL! Ooops!
    Last edited by JT00galantev; 03-21-2010 at 07:26 PM

The best way to clean your contacts is either with a pencil eraser or of course, electrical cleaner.
    Last edited by JT00galantev; 03-21-2010 at 07:28 PM

Quote Originally Posted by JT00galantev View Post
    I would remove the speed sensor, clean the contacts between the wiring and the actual sensor and then replace the sensor. If that doesn't work, I would disconnect the ground and positive cables from the battery, hold the positive and negative wires together for about 10 seconds, wait about five minutes after that and then reconnect the cables to the battery, that should reset everything. Maybe that will work for you. I had the same problem with my speedometer but the cause of my problems was due to a stereo system install and a few wires being unnoticeably sliced, therefore causing a short. LOL! Ooops!
    actually i removed the ground and positive a couple of times from the battery. i just did not hold them together. after that the speedometer was working for a while. but if i keep them together, wouldn't that cause a short circuit? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dimushor View Post
    actually i removed the ground and positive a couple of times from the battery. i just did not hold them together. after that the speedometer was working for a while. but if i keep them together, wouldn't that cause a short circuit? Thanks
    Only hold the wires together during the time the cables are not connected to the battery. Otherwise, that will definately cause a short! another thing you could try is to disconnect the wires from the ecu and leave them disconnected for apporximately 1-2 minutes, then recconect them back to the ecu. Drive your car around for a few miles and the ecu will reset itself. Another thing to think about is that anytime you disconnect your battery cables the best way to reset your ecu is by jumping on a hiway and driving a steady 55 miles an hour for approximately 3-5 miles straight. A friend, who's a mechanic told me that one. Haven't needed to try it but I will soon just to make sure all stays well with my electronics. Let me know how that goes for you.

derrick
    hey i had a radio installed in my car and the speedo stop work you had the same thing happen too you bro. How did you fix the problem?

ive fixed this on mine.. a wire on the speed sensor was broken off and kept making contact every now and then. The speed sensor is located between the rear engine mount and the battery. You should unplug it to make sure all wires are still connected and strong. Definitely clean the contacts. I put some copper contact stuff on it and my speedometer works great again. Has not dropped once. Check your connector to the speed sensor!

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    ive fixed this on mine.. a wire on the speed sensor was broken off and kept making contact every now and then. The speed sensor is located between the rear engine mount and the battery. You should unplug it to make sure all wires are still connected and strong. Definitely clean the contacts. I put some copper contact stuff on it and my speedometer works great again. Has not dropped once. Check your connector to the speed sensor!
    ok, thanks. will defijitely do.

Quote Originally Posted by derrick View Post
    hey i had a radio installed in my car and the speedo stop work you had the same thing happen too you bro. How did you fix the problem?
    Well the problem with my speedo after the radio install is that I ran a constant fire wire for the amp through the rubber boot that the wiring harness runs through. It's the rubber boot in your firewall. The firewall is the sheet of metal that seperates your cab from your engine compartment. When I ran that wire I tore through a couple of wires. After much research and investigation, I found the wires that were cut and creating a short and I repaired them. I also made sure that no wire was connected to the stereo than what had to be. Give me some info on how you wired the stereo.

The same thing happend to me when installed my stereo. Apperantly I connected a constant power to a cable that is for the auto volume. It seems to short the speedo part of your ecu. I went through two ecu's before I realized.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by CIENFUEGO1 View Post
    The same thing happend to me when installed my stereo. Apperantly I connected a constant power to a cable that is for the auto volume. It seems to short the speedo part of your ecu. I went through two ecu's before I realized.
    Damn, that sucks! I bought all new fuses, a new cluster, another speed sensor, (VSS), hired 2 different mechanics, and spent countless and countless of hours trying to figure the thing out. Finally, it all came down to a damn wire that I split, in the wiring harness. I cut it, soldered it back together, wrapped it, and bam!!!!!!! All good!! Too bad I didn't consider the most obvious prior to spending so much time and money into it. But hey, you live and you learn. Congrats on getting it fixed and way to go for sticking with it and getting it figured out.
    Last edited by JT00galantev; 04-11-2010 at 05:47 PM

hi, im having problems with my galant, its a 1997 model with a 6a12 engine, my speedometer is not working, ive replaced my sendor with a new one, checked my harnesses... still it wont work, any suggestions masters? thanks in advance