The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 18" rear wheels rubbing fender welds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34

Icon8 18" rear wheels rubbing fender welds

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant V-6 with pro-kit eibach springs, camber kit front and rear, kyb struts/shocks, and 18" wheels (R1 225/40/zr18)...my rear wheels are rubbing the fender welds when going over slopes and and dips in the roadway (normal traveling grounds). It's never done this before until about a year ago. I haven't changed anything in ref to my suspension setup. I had Excel 18" wheels on there last year, but then changed to my current 18" wheels. Same size and all. Any suggestions or comments on what the issue may be? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! My shocks and struts are brand new...it rubbed before the new struts/shocks and still after the new installs.

Holla-Sparky
    Sparky-

check out my ghostrider by this link-
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399130

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    do u have subs or junk in the trunk? the only other thing i can think of is ur tire size but im pretty sure those are the right size
    03 I4

hhp8008
    Yeah 225/40/18 should fit right for your g. x2 might just be the extra weight in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    do u have subs or junk in the trunk? the only other thing i can think of is ur tire size but im pretty sure those are the right size

nothing in my trunk besides my spare tire...
    Sparky-

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    then loose some weight LOLO J/K
    03 I4

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    If you havent changed tire size or added weight then it doesnt make sense

I would just run a little negative camber out back to avoid the rubbing, if your only going a little negative it shouldnt have any significant effect on your tire wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I'll try and see if that works out...i just got the rears installed today, but have to get the fronts done on Monday because my bump-stops are shot. They want be in til Friday. I guess Monday I will have it aligned after the fronts are installed. I'll remember to mention the rubbing in the rear and have them adjusted as such...if you think of anything else it may be holla back-
    Sparky-

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Daddy View Post
    I had Excel 18" wheels on there last year, but then changed to my current 18" wheels. Same size and all.

Holla-Sparky
    are you sure the offset was the same as well? Cause in my mind its either offset or your camber changd.

pretty sure, have to double check my alignment printout again...
    Sparky-

Experienced TGC Member
    Sounds like your 2 sets of wheels had a different offset.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    Sounds like your 2 sets of wheels had a different offset.
    copy cat

you may have to run a bit of negative camber in the rear to correct issue or roll the fender

^^03 galant sorry for the off topic but whats rolling the fenders?? And to the OP, are the shocks shot?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant Evolution View Post
    ^^03 galant sorry for the off topic but whats rolling the fenders?? And to the OP, are the shocks shot?
    Search it on youtube, easier then explaining. Just gives you more clearance for wider tires, different offset etc.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by Galant Evolution View Post
    are the shocks shot?
    check this out. It might be done and it's bottoming out reason for why all of a sudden your wheels that fit a year ago is rubbing.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    check this out. It might be done and it's bottoming out reason for why all of a sudden your wheels that fit a year ago is rubbing.
    They are different wheels, same size but Im thinking they are different sized.

He did say his shock/struts are brand new though.

^^ oh yeah..idk i would still double check

I have 225/40/18s, and mine rub when I go over large variations in the ground too, they have like an inch to travel before hitting the lip in the wheel well. Need to roll em.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Must be the offset of the wheels for sure.

4g64T 5spd

OFFSET problem.....
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast