The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cat question???????

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    missbitchy

cat question???????

i have a friend that was talking about removing his cat converter ... what i wanted to know was is there really a differance?????? he says more power, i say you gotta pass inspection... what do u guys think... thanks

your friend would b better off getting a high flow catalytic converter instead of a straight pipe... a car w/o a cat sounds horrible and the difference in power between a hi flow cat and a straight pipe is almost imperceptable, but the emmissions smell like pure fuel w/o one. right now i have no cats and i am searching for a replacement hi flow cat for the one i removed. btw, not having cats in california is highly illegal and i am under risk rolling w/ my straight pipe.

missbitchy
    thanks reelax..... i love you guys u make me sound so smart when im talking about cars... guys think cause i a girl i know nothing .. what they dont know is i got my boyz from the galant center...lol

removing the cat. will do almost NOTHING for performance. Perhaps a one horsepower gain, if that.

just leave it. If you remove it, not only will it do nothing for your performance, but you will polllute more, and as such you will trigger a "check engine" light.

i dunno about u...but i wouldn't throw away a piece of metal and all that goodness that costs like 7 hundred dollars. if it costs that much i'd keep it. be like "ya i got them precats, them bad boys be bling blinging at 700 dollars a pop" nonetheless, if u really feel that there is a difference, just get something like a high flow cat or a test pipe that u can put on when on the track and take off for the street

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

TGC Regular
    errr

i took mine off cause i was too cheap to buy a new one and mine broke. i took the resignator off too. it doesn't feel like theres as much backpressure now. and i feel slower. could this have messed anything up?

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    errr

i took mine off cause i was too cheap to buy a new one and mine broke. i took the resignator off too. it doesn't feel like theres as much backpressure now. and i feel slower. could this have messed anything up?
    Doubtful that it messed anything up but yea, you'll have no backpressure hence a loss of torque. And I bet your car sounds like a lwnmower on steroids.

As far as high flow cats go, I was told that if you have a Cali spec car (precats) that your main cat is already a hi-flow cat, and replacing it will gain absolutely nothing except money out of your pocket. Can anybody confirm this?

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55

As far as high flow cats go, I was told that if you have a Cali spec car (precats) that your main cat is already a hi-flow cat, and replacing it will gain absolutely nothing except money out of your pocket. Can anybody confirm this?

Chip
    Yea I was told the same thing so I gutted the precat and had both resonators removed...keeping that 700 cat as pinoy stated lol.....smh

As for loss of backpressure yea you did lose low end torque but from what I have been hearing about your motor will breath alot better WOT

missbitchy
    will i told my boy what you guys said and he said ya dont know what you are talking about. so i say let him take it out he knows best he does drive a 02 honda accord those guys know it all... fu(k em let him be an ass i will take ur words anyday over his.

u didn't say he owned a honda. have u seen the exhaust on a honda? compared to a mitsu? a honda's exhaust is so restrictive compared to a mitsu's. thats y they get louder when u put on an exhaust and why they see more gains when they get an aftermarket exhaust. a mitsu's exhaust is made up of a few pieces. the honda is made up of hundreds of pieces...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.