The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Manuel tranny reasons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34

Manuel tranny reasons

I want to swap over to the manuel tranny, but my mom i hesitatant on letting me do it. I would need to have it done and all the kinks worked out in two months when i get my liscense.
    She doesnt think it a good idea. Are there any good reasons i can give her to help push her to let me.
    Oh the reason i want to do the swap is my auto tranny slips and the local trannsmission shop would want 800-1200 to do the tranny, with stall convereter, manuel valve bodys and shift kit.

tell her better mpg

Experienced TGC Member
    That cost to rebuild an automatic transmission is somewhat low compared to most shop prices. Consider this, if the transmission fails again you are looking at about the same expense to repair it again should you choose to.

That expense on rebuilding the transmission is about the same as swapping to a 5spd, completely (depending on how much you pay for a trans). The benefits are much greater on a manual transmission because if it slips (usually the clutch), it is much cheaper to replace the clutch than it is to rebuild an entire automatic transmission again.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Better gas mileage, and cheaper maintenance.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    don't convince her.. just do it..

lmao at least that's what I did with my 6G74 swap.. and then my 5 speed
    but that's because my parents trusted that I have the technical "know-how" to get the job done

oh i have the techicanl know how but she doesnt want it done IDK why its my car, i have put my money into it, she didnt even buy it.
    Last edited by mrg7243; 01-21-2010 at 08:23 PM

TGC Regular
    Just do it one day when shes at work lol. Like Will Smith said, "Parents just don't understand".

Lol i wish i am homeschooled so that wont work:(

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    oh i have the techicanl know how but she doesnt want it done IDK why its my damn car, i have put my money into it, she didnt even buy it. Hell i am thinking about doing it, we just got in an arguement about it.
    just try to be nice about it. I actually got into several arguments with my mom about my 6G74 swap before I actually did it too.

I really don't know how to convince her on your part besides maybe asserting that you REALLY want to do it, and that there's pretty much no stopping you since it will be out of your own money. I don't know if that'll work with everyone, but that kind of worked for me. Whether they agreed with it or not, I'm not sure, cause they didn't say much after that, but you get the point.

ok thanks man

I don't miss the days of having to ask my parents to do things...but now I have to ask my wife! LOL

stomp both of your feet in a rage screaming "i wanna 5 speed swap let me do a 5 speed swap". besides that tell her that its and easy process and a lot of poeple on tgc do it for a good cause. cause are auto trannys are usually garbage ;O show her a bunch a threads about tranny failer itll convince her.
    Last edited by Exhaust power; 01-21-2010 at 04:13 AM

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Experienced TGC Member
    My mom was just impressed I could do the shit myself so she is like cool lol. I let her drive it after I put on the brembos and she was flippin out cuz the stopped so good. She was like I want brakes like this!!! LOL
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

I dunno who Manuel is, but i wouldnt wanna touch a tranny lol

the MANUAL transmission swap is a beautiful thing on these cars, its like night and day

lol in the same situation. my moms okay with her cuz she is into cars. she agreed with me that you cant have a sick car unless its stick (some cars can pull of sexy auto). my step dad on the other hand actually tried to take away some of my 5 speed parts cuz he was so angry about it at first.

tell you wanna be different cuz they dont make them stick
    argue individuality
    mpg
    how much better you will treat it since you have put work and effort into it
    better in snow per say (if you live where thee white falls)
    come up with random creative bs

Better MPG, more power to the wheels, and less cost on maintenance.

btw what year is your car?

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    I don't miss the days of having to ask my parents to do things...but now I have to ask my wife! LOL
    arg.....X2 lol

maybe if you get better grades.

Say your going out with friends, find local tgc members to you do swap and then drive home like nothing changed.

We almost finished Denver's swap in one night but it started torrential down pour and we called it quits. Or maturely say mom its my car its fucked up and if I want to invest money in it a certain way that is my choice and the responsibility is on me.

IF that doesnt work do what I did in 4th grade when I wasnt allowed to see first pokemon movie. Scream and cry. It worked :)

lol all good ideas im leaning towards the stomping of my feet and crying jk jk
    My car is an 2001. As to the fact of putting more power to the ground that isnt something she wants to hear. She says the car is fast enough and i dont need to do anything to it. better grades probably would help. I think im just gonna tell her its my car( according to her this morning its her car since the title is in her name, so i said fine you want it you can have it the key is right there its all yours.) and im gonna do what i want to do with it. Any tickets, maintenance fees ect. thats all on me. Ill see if she goes for that, if not plan b runn away kicking and screaming ;P
    Last edited by mrg7243; 01-21-2010 at 08:24 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast