The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ordered V6 3.0L Rotors and Brakes for My I4 2.4L...Problem?

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    maxrezn

Ordered V6 3.0L Rotors and Brakes for My I4 2.4L...Problem?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1773wt_935

I just bought these and didn't realize that they were for a 3.0L. I have a 2003 I4. Will they still fit or should I cancel the order?

V6 Rotors are slightly larger, pads are different though. So, yes, cancel the order and reorder the right parts for a I4.

maxrezn
    CONTRADICTION FAIL.

So now I'm more confused.

Experienced TGC Member
    They are a different size!!! Cancel!!
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by maxrezn View Post
    CONTRADICTION FAIL.

So now I'm more confused.
    No fail here.

The rotors are useable, the pads are not. Return both, buy the right setup.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    the difference is rotor thickness

Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    the difference is rotor thickness
    and diameter.

maxrezn
    Gotcha. Thanks.

hhp8008
    Just gonna throw this out there lol, but with some extra $ you could have the V6 2piston Calipers upgrade. And maybe the SS brake lines depending your budget and as a V6 owner it should be worth it.

(Someone please correct me if I left out anything for the V6 brake swap)
    Last edited by hhp8008; 01-23-2010 at 06:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    same shit
    good job on bad info. remember that no answer is better than the wrong answer next time.

Only early 99 V6 galant (and early 00 Eclipse V6) has larger rotors due to dual piston calipers, the one that you bought says 5/99 in the description, ask him if its before or after 5/99. However they don't look like a high quality rotors. The following pictures are for dual piston calipers and the rotors for them(larger size rotors). All V6 galant from late 99 and after has the same setup as i4.

Last edited by rez887; 01-23-2010 at 07:59 PM

maxrezn
    Their shipping the correct I4 2.4L rotors and pads. Thank you guys. This little "upgrade purchase" has given me Galant fever. I just now debadged it...and plan on getting projector headlights. *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    good job on bad info. remember that no answer is better than the wrong answer next time.
    I thought the V6s were the same size diameter wise and because he ordered the set the pads would work with it.

hhp8008
    All I know from replacing mine is that my V6 comes with the ABS, four-wheel disc brakes with dual-piston front calipers.

It might be because it has the $2,400 ES V6 Premium Package, which includes side airbags, alloy wheels, power glass sunroof, HomeLink, the Infinity CD stereo, and lumbar support. Idk I throw that in lol but it would seem to me that the dual calipers came only with the V6 Galants......hmm But don't ask me why only the fronts???
    Last edited by hhp8008; 01-24-2010 at 07:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by hhp8008 View Post
    All I know from replacing mine is that my V6 comes with the ABS, four-wheel disc brakes with dual-piston front calipers.

It might be because it has the $2,400 ES V6 Premium Package, which includes side airbags, alloy wheels, power glass sunroof, HomeLink, the Infinity CD stereo, and lumbar support. Idk I throw that in lol but it would seem to me that the dual calipers came only with the V6 Galants......hmm But don't ask me why only the fronts???
    dual piston caliper front brakes only came on v6 galants made in 1999 (i have them) and on early '00 eclipse gt's. the discs, pads and rotors are very different from the i4's. in '00 mitsu went to the single piston design on all 8G galants to save money. they are only on the fronts because the front brakes do the great majority of the work; if you had the same size brakes on the front and rear, your brake balance would be thrown way off and you would end up locking you rears (or running into ABS) before the front tires ever lost traction. this why your rear brakes are always smaller even if both are single piston.

PuristMike
    Major bump on this, but could a single piston to dual piston caliper be done easily? I have an 01 LS