The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Report: Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Report: Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years

Report: Mitsubishi looking to claw back to 100,000 sales in U.S. in three years

When the healthy catches a cold, the sickly contract the flu. Over the past few years, Mitsubishi has been suffering from a degenerative case of bronchial pneumonia, with a side of strep and a nasty rash. In other, less contagious words, Mitsubishi has been faring very poorly during the industry's worst downturn in decades, and it's tough to say if the struggling Japanese automaker will ever leave the intensive care unit.
    But to listen to John Koenig, executive vice president of Mitsubishi North America, that will all change over the next few years. Koenig has told Wards Automotive that he sees Mitsubishi hitting 100,000 sales in the U.S. within three years. Mitsubishi only sold 53,986 vehicles in 2009, down 44.5 percent compared to a still depressing 2008, and that's only one sixth of the Japanese automaker's 345,111 U.S. sales in 2002. Koenig says he's had to reassure dealers that Mitsubishi isn't leaving the North American market, adding "that's probably their biggest fear, because they're reading about it in various journals."
    To get out of its sales rut, Mitsubishi plans to bolster sales with the help of the Outlander, a vehicle that we found to be pretty entertaining and capable. Koenig also points to the Lancer as another vehicle that could help turn sales around.
    Will Mitsubishi return to sales of 100,000 units a year in the States? It's difficult to say, really, but given the automaker's performance over the past few years, we're not all that optimistic. The good news though is that most sales problems can easily be cured with good products, and if the Outlander is as good as we think it is we're thinking, Mitsubishi has a shot at staying relevant - though they had better be readying a few new cannons in their arsenal.

Gallery:
    First Drive: 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT
    [/URL]

im glad i got an 08 outlander cause that new front end is fugly.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

TGC Regular
    Well see, cause the mitsubishi dealership in Greensboro has turned into Subby/Jaguar dealership

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    im glad i got an 08 outlander cause that new front end is fugly.
    Its actually not THAT bad. I saw one on the road a week ago already. It was that darker brown color, looked really nice. And I've seen some at local dealers, they do look nice in person than in pictures. Though I'd generally agree, I like my 09 Outlander better too.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    my 06 as well

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    I sure hope so, Gezon Mitsubishi !

Our Mitsu dealership in Baton Rouge went out of business for the second time in 3 years...now we have one in tandem with a Saturn dealership.

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    I think they should have kept the new lancer front only on the lancers..

Looks out of place on the SUV

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Arro View Post
    I think they should have kept the new lancer front only on the lancers..

Looks out of place on the SUV
    Its actually really nice with blacked out headlights (like on the SE Model, which happens to be sleeping in my garage as we speak).

I did my part, I purchased a 2010 Outy SE last thursday, how about everyone else?/

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    It is much better looking than some of the other mini suv's out there

Most, if not all of my local mitsu's are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    Our Mitsu dealership in Baton Rouge went out of business for the second time in 3 years...now we have one in tandem with a Saturn dealership.
    hope that survives on its own. saturn dealers are already gone up here.

and i do like the new ourlanders having seen them in person. as for my part.. well.. 09 galant. thats all i wanna be paying for right now ;)

I wouldn't mind owning a Lancer Sportback ralliart sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhigh90210 View Post
    I wouldn't mind owning a Lancer Sportback ralliart sometime in the future.
    That sport back is so god damn ugly. I drove one a couple weeks ago, when i got done with it, it smelt like cluch, i put a hard 13 miles on that car haha. Quick but ugly, just get the lance ralliart

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    ew those sport backs are fugly. I'm tired of the new "tuner" yet "family wagon" look with the new cars.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    I like the sport backs !

you are one in few even the salesmen didnt like it.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    I saw one recently and I likes it because it was different in a good way, but I believe that they should keep the new Lancers how they (the new ones) were made at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    you are one in few even the salesmen didnt like it.
    I like the Sportback also, nice car, get the performance of the Lancer Ralliart (I'd only buy the RA Trim), and more cargo room.

yeah i like the sportbacks too. idk if i like them enough to buy one, but i still like them.
    the ralliart is a nice sleeper for the guy who's wife wanted him to get a "safe family car"

i like the sportback. not sure how i would feel about the view from the rear view mirror though.