The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HID install question. not in galant in my grand cherokee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

HID install question. not in galant in my grand cherokee

I am trying to install HIDs in the lows of my grand cherokee. It uses 9006 I removed the kit from my 7G

The kit works I removed it working from the car and reinstalled it and it still works

I tried to install in Jeep and they wont turn on. I was told to get a harness with a relay and tried that and still not working.

I was also told that maybe I need to reverse the polarity of wires running to the ballast.
    I tried to reverse the harness today and still no luck.
    I did notice that when I had both stock bulbs hooked up and turned the headlights on with drivers door open I got the reminder chime that the lights were on. When I had 1 hid in and 1 stock bulb, the stock bulb was on, not the hid, but also no warning chime.
    I have a few other questions now.
    I shouldn't have to have jeep running for the hids to come on correct?
    Also I shouldn't have to have both sides hooked up either correct?
    And 1 more. On the relay is the metal tab that's used to mount it, is that tab also to ground it?

any ideas?
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    You shouldnt need the car on for the bulbs to "ignite" nor should you need both on. I dunno that is weird.

Jason can you get some pics up of the harness for the jeep and how you hooked it up?

what year is the jeep? some chrysler vehicles won't let u run hids without a code eliminator.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Jason can you get some pics up of the harness for the jeep and how you hooked it up?
    prolly tomorrow I will try it again if not on Thursday then I will. I hooked it up as it normally would be and then I tried with the relay harness which hooks to the battery and ground and then one plug goes to stock harness to get the signal to turn on and then 2 other plugs go one into each ballast.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    what year is the jeep? some chrysler vehicles won't let u run hids without a code eliminator.
    I thought I posted that its a 2004. I was hearing about the code eliminators too. But the only think I have found on jeep forums as well as on the ddm hid website is that a relay harness will be required to get them to work

2001 Galant ES

you may need resistors to trick the computer into thinking it is loading halogen bulbs. we had to do this on my girl's ford escape to get rid of the flickering and bulb out warnings. since you allready have a relay harness, you would tap one into the trigger side before the relay and one into the other stock socket so that the car thinks it is running normal halogens:

http://www.dxhid.com/apps/webstore/products/show/435473

Thanks Rani. I saw kits with those also. And someone on a jeep forum keeps on saying I shouldn't need any of that at the most I should need a relay kit and if that's not working then its a crappy relay kit or the HIDs are no good. I keep on saying the HIDs work so he keeps saying the relay harness is shot. Someone on ebay has a kit with the resistors and it says right in the auction this is needed for jeeps, dodge, chrstlyer and someothers. When I emailed to make sure that would solve the problem the guy said that I just need a code eliminator.
    Now if I get the resistors you listed where do I tap in? I am not following.
    this is what the relay kit I have is supposed to look like.

except rather then having a ground wire off the relay, this one has a ground wire off of parts 1 and 2. I asked the company about that and they state this is a more efficient kit that they have started to make. And rather then the wires running back to the relay to be grounded the relay is grounded along with the ground wire of the plug that is closest to it, and the plug on the other side gets grounded on its own

2001 Galant ES

the resistors would install to the stock sockets. they mimmick the load of bulbs. the trigger wire that goes to the relay only needs a very small current so the car thinks that there is either a broken bulb or a bad connection and so the computer shuts off the power to the headlight that it thinks is broken, thus not sending the trigger current to the relay (and the relay stops powering up the HID). basically on the trigger side, plug one side of the resistor to the stock wiring then the other side into the tirgger wires fo the relay, on the non-trigger side (that is not hooked up into the realy harness), plug the resitor into the other stock wiring. the reisitors now "look" like a bulbs to the car and it should act normally.

okay so I would need 2 of those? do they come as a pair? cant really tell
    and I would plug 1 between part 5 in the above pic I posted and the stock wiring. And then I would hook up part 2 to the ballast and then on the other side I would need to hook up the other resistor just to the stock harness?
    And that is it?
    Last edited by mrjaydeeone; 01-27-2010 at 12:53 AM

2001 Galant ES

the ones i linked to come as a pair. they plug directly into the stock wiring (one on each side). then the relay harness plugs into one of them (the other side doesn't plug into anything after).

ah okay I gotcha. Much clearer explanation that time haha. I have emailed the company to see if I can return if that doesn't solve the problem. Just don't want to get stuck with extra stuff laying around. Thanks for you help again. Hopefully that will get these things working.

2001 Galant ES

no sweat bro. if that doesn;t solve it the only thing i can think of is the relay itself or maybe something as simple as a fuse?

hmm well the fuse that came with the relay kit is fine. The fuses in the jeep are fine as the stock headlights work. The relay I would say is working also. As when I have had it hooked up if I remove the relay from the harness and place it back I can hear a click sound from inside the relay.
    not sure about the numbers for the relay kit, the fuse is 25 watts and relay is 40 amps that should be cool for this application right.
    And as far as the relay goes. The metal tab on it, is that a ground or just to mount it? cause I haven't actually mounted it. I would hate to find out that the relay wasn't doing what it needed to cause that mount is a ground also

2001 Galant ES

the metal tab is not needed to be ground, you don;t have to mount a relay for it to work. the relay gets the ground from another wire on the harness. wait, on your harness it appears #4 from your picture is the ground... you grounded that right?

unfortunately. My harness doesn't look like that. I posted this below that picture this is how my harness is
    has a ground wire off of parts 1 and 2. I asked the company about that and they stated this is a more efficient kit that they have started to make. And rather then the wires running back to the relay to be grounded the relay is grounded along with the ground wire of the plug that is closest to it, and the plug on the other side gets grounded on its own

2001 Galant ES

still no response from the company you posted Rani. But in speaking with another company I was told that the ballasts are cheap on the kit that I have and that the resistors wont help but offered to sell me new ballasts. I have someone on a local forum that sells hid kits, that I am going to meet up with today or tomorrow. He said that he has installed in Jeeps with no problem and will help me troubleshoot including with one of his ballasts to see if we can get this over and done with

2001 Galant ES

yeah i never did business w/ that company, was just using their product as an example. the actual parts i used were integrated into the harness that i got, but the company i got parts from is no longer around. let us know how it goes and the final solution.

gotcha gotcha. thanks again. Prolly on Monday or Tuesday I will meet up with this guy locally to try a set of the kind he sells out

2001 Galant ES

well I ordered a DDM kit and received it last night.
    I installed them with the relay and they didn't turn on. I installed without the relay and they worked just fine. I don't know what I did, but I didn't start the jeep during the install, just keep on turning the lights on and off without the jeep running. At any rate I went to start the jeep 2 hours later to go to work and she was dead. I did't have time to jump, so I took my wifes car to work. I will jump the jeep in the AM when I get home. I am hoping I just drained the battery temporarily and there isn't a constant drain happening.

2001 Galant ES

well everything is okay now. I jumped the jeep when I got home this AM and it started right up. I brought it to mechanic to get battery and charging system tested (all was fine), just wanted to make sure I didn't wake to dead jeep when I had to go to work. Woke early started it and no problems, and then started right up again to leave for work.

2001 Galant ES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast