The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: best buy getting rid of rockford and picking up kicker and polk

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar

best buy getting rid of rockford and picking up kicker and polk

Just found out today that best buy is officially dropping rockford in May and picking up kicker and polk audio. Man I love working at BB and finding this news out.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    thats awesome but best buy prices are crazy high! but I am glad they are getting polk...now I will get components :)

Nice. I like Polk.

Polk has great components.

If it ain't broke, i'm still fixin' it.

out in Suffolk I just heard that best buy is doing away with car audio all together because they're "do not touch" list is getting too long.
    it's a list of cars that they wont work on.
    plus most of they're installers are noob's who passed a written exam.
    Passing a written exam for your MECP certification means you know the theory behind 12 volt installations but you don't have any practical experience...
    in other words, the book cant show you how to remove a panel without breaking it.
    or get the radio out of a brand new honda civic without leaving marks on the dashboard.
    it's too complicated for they're current staff and they are not willing to pay enough money to get high end, experienced installers in there.
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

dude, that's not cool saying shit like that about mecp. not all people with those certifications are like that. not to mention, I really doubt they will cut it out all together since there is a lot of profit from car audio, even if they don't install the products.

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    Just found out today that best buy is officially dropping rockford in May and picking up kicker and polk audio. Man I love working at BB and finding this news out.
    so this should mean...drastic sale to get rid of the remaining rockford???

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh_617 View Post
    so this should mean...drastic sale to get rid of the remaining rockford???
    Yes RF is on clearance right now. But lots of car audio is right now as well just because it's that time of the year for new shit

how much u think it is for the type r set up? i live in mass so it might b diffrent there but it seems like every best buy in my area has 2 12's alpine type r connected to a rf amp the amp by itself was like 700 and the subs were 200 a peice

Quote Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
    out in Suffolk I just heard that best buy is doing away with car audio all together because they're "do not touch" list is getting too long.
    it's a list of cars that they wont work on.
    plus most of they're installers are noob's who passed a written exam.
    Passing a written exam for your MECP certification means you know the theory behind 12 volt installations but you don't have any practical experience...
    in other words, the book cant show you how to remove a panel without breaking it.
    or get the radio out of a brand new honda civic without leaving marks on the dashboard.
    it's too complicated for they're current staff and they are not willing to pay enough money to get high end, experienced installers in there.
    Best Buy (with all respect to Scott) is fast food Car Audio, you shouldn't rightfully expect to get a highend audio installation when you go there. If that was your intent, and you ended up there then you improperly qualified yourself. However, that doesn't mean all their installers are garbage, or that MECP certifications are garbage. Because, quite literally those instruction books DO SHOW how to remove panels without breaking them.

That said, high end installers either own their own shop, or work for someone doing highend installs. And when I say work for someone, I don't mean cheesy shops like West Coast Customs. I mean they work directly for Rockford, Alpine, Cadence, Directed, etc...like David "Fishman" Rivera. That said, I installed highend stereos, then worked at Best Buy afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh_617 View Post
    how much u think it is for the type r set up? i live in mass so it might b diffrent there but it seems like every best buy in my area has 2 12's alpine type r connected to a rf amp the amp by itself was like 700 and the subs were 200 a peice
    the type r's are not on clearance but the rockford 1000 watt mono amp is $509.99 at my store right now

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Best Buy (with all respect to Scott) is fast food Car Audio, you shouldn't rightfully expect to get a highend audio installation when you go there. If that was your intent, and you ended up there then you improperly qualified yourself. However, that doesn't mean all their installers are garbage, or that MECP certifications are garbage. Because, quite literally those instruction books DO SHOW how to remove panels without breaking them.

That said, high end installers either own their own shop, or work for someone doing highend installs. And when I say work for someone, I don't mean cheesy shops like West Coast Customs. I mean they work directly for Rockford, Alpine, Cadence, Directed, etc...like David "Fishman" Rivera. That said, I installed highend stereos, then worked at Best Buy afterwards.
    I didn't mean to put anyone down, I just meant that the manual may show you but not like an experienced tech on hand would show you. always good to have at least one on hand. everyone has to start somewhere and its a good way to gain experience.
    It's good to have an MECP certification, It just doesnt mean your highly trained or qualified. It means you know theory.
    its a good start.
    cant pass that MECP and then jump into tearing apart that S550 ;)

I didn't mean to put anyone down, I just meant that the manual may show you but not like an experienced tech on hand would show you. always good to have at least one on hand. everyone has to start somewhere and its a good way to gain experience.
    It's good to have an MECP certification, It just doesnt mean your highly trained or qualified. It means you know theory.
    its a good start.
    cant pass that MECP and then jump into tearing apart that S550 ;)
    You can't be a 'experienced' audio tech and tear into a S550 either hahaha...

Though I know what you were getting at. Installers there largely have otherwise no hands on experience at bigbox retailers like Best Buy. Its just the crowd they attract for employees.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    You can't be a 'experienced' audio tech and tear into a S550 either hahaha...

Though I know what you were getting at. Installers there largely have otherwise no hands on experience at bigbox retailers like Best Buy. Its just the crowd they attract for employees.
    Even the big box stores should hire at least one experienced tech for each store to pick up where the MECP leaves off with the new guys.
    Last year I built a 2007 Mercedes S550 surveillance vehicle for someone who works with NYPD. That's why I often use that as an example.
    All I'm saying is that sometimes...the crowd you attract is a direct result of what your willing to pay.

the type r's are not on clearance but the rockford 1000 watt mono amp is $509.99 at my store right now
    510 for 1k ha screw main streAm CA

It does seem really high for a rockford amp. You can buy a kicker 1200.1 for 350...

It does seem really high for a rockford amp. You can buy a kicker 1200.1 for 350...
    yeah on ebay or something. i remember when i worked for circuit, i got a kicker 1500.1 for $350 from kicker directly and it went for $1200-$1500 retail.

reg price we had on the rf was $600.

yeah on ebay or something. i remember when i worked for circuit, i got a kicker 1500.1 for $350 from kicker directly and it went for $1200-$1500 retail.

reg price we had on the rf was $600.
    I always forget retail lol. been working in the industry for so long I forget that people actually pay retail for stuff :(
    But I always see stuff on ebay at the same price as my cost anyway.
    difference is the installation and the warranty though.

from what I hear the last 3 years rockford has been going downhill. They have stopped investing in their R and D as much since they have they name. Not saying thy are not good products but not the products that blew people away years ago.