The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Im goin to f'in kill myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 42

Im goin to f'in kill myself.

Ok, (long post)

I honestly dont know what to do, even the techs are sayin they dont know. Figured i would post up and see if any of you could think hard as to what is going on. Im STILL getting the vibrations and im clueless. This is so annoying. Ok here we go. I replaced ALL my motor mounts, did a full tune up, wires, plugs and oil change, PCV valve, balance belt, timing belt, still rough. The vibration isnt as bad in the car as it is absorbed by the new motor mounts, but its still way stronger than normal, also when in drive and the E-brake applyed so the car wont move, opening the hood to look at the engine, it surges back and fourth irraticly (sp?), again this is ONLY UNDER LOAD IN ANY GEAR (R,D,L,2,3) in which the vibrations occur, in nutral or park the car has no vibrations present. I know i have an old car and all and it will never run like new im not expecting this, but it shouldnt be this bad as to where the dash still shakes and blurs my vision in the rear view mirror and the radio screen from it shaking so much. As i recall when i first noticed it, it happened all at once, one time i came to a stop and it started vibrating bad.
    I have an ALLDATA.com account, i could not find any TSB's or anything related, I have checked vac leaks to the best that i could but could not find anything. Here is the check list of what i have checked:

-TB gasket, did soap water test, and nothing
    -TB for crackes, none found
    -VAC hoese, couldnt find any, pulled em off and plugged with finger to feel for vac and did water test
    -spark plugs, nothing changed
    -wires, nothing changed
    -motor mounts, lessened up in cabin but the engine movement up top is still the same
    -PCV valve, nothing changed
    -balance belt, nothing changed
    -Timing belt, nothing changed

It seems to be only the head part of the motor shaking and vibrating, im not sure if that is because of the motor mounts holding the engine down tighter down lower, or if it is just related to the head of the engine? The vibration only occurs when under load, never in nutral or park. This is weird also...Sometimes when coming to a stop it vibrates worse than other times. Like today on my way to work i stopped at a light, the vibration seemed ALMOST non-existant, it seemed normal, little vibration but not noticeable to a normal person who is not farmilliar with the car, or passenger. Then at the next light i stopped and it was ok again! i was like awesome!, then the next stop of corse the vibrations are back again just as bad as before shaking everything. So wtf is that about?? I can only think to myself, "it has to be a vac leak because it does it randomly and in different intensitys" But i CANNOT find any leaks or probs! Any advice on how to better check for vac leaks please post or any other info, Thanks!!!
    -Tony

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    My guess is that you disconnected the battery at some point. When you do that the ECU has to re-learn itself and vibrates like you explain until it e learns everything. Mine does it, not as bad but he vibration is present. Only thing I can think of.

This might not be related at all, or it could have everything to do with it, so I am going to throw this out there. The motor could be choking on fuel or gasping for air so I'd get the MAF checked out.

I don't see you mentioning it but did you replace the vacuum hoses? A bunch of pinhole leaks will give the same result as a HUGE vacuum leak.

Did you remove the Intake manifold when you checked it? It could be cracked from the underside. Most likely not though since you said sometimes the vibration is non-existant.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    My guess is that you disconnected the battery at some point. When you do that the ECU has to re-learn itself and vibrates like you explain until it e learns everything. Mine does it, not as bad but he vibration is present. Only thing I can think of.
    Thank you for your advice and thoughts, but i have disconnected the batery several times, it takes around 70 or so miles for the re-learn to be done, atleast the idle part of it. This has been happening for the last 3,000+k

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    This might not be related at all, or it could have everything to do with it, so I am going to throw this out there. The motor could be choking on fuel or gasping for air so I'd get the MAF checked out.

I don't see you mentioning it but did you replace the vacuum hoses? A bunch of pinhole leaks will give the same result as a HUGE vacuum leak.

Did you remove the Intake manifold when you checked it? It could be cracked from the underside. Most likely not though since you said sometimes the vibration is non-existant.

Thanks for the response bro. The MAF i have is one i took from a JY. It has seemed to be working ok i can check it out...Maybe ill take off the air filter in my garage real quick and ill see if it still vibrates...by taking off the filter it should be air coming in directly from the MAF sensor so that should solve the questions and concerns about the MAF. Also no codes present. But i also did replace my TPS and im not sure if it can be ajusted? No code on that one tho.
    I have not replaced the VAC hoses, but if they wont be way to expensive i will deff replace them all and see, thats a good point about the pinholes.

My intake i have not removed when i checked for leaks, I had cracked my first one at the TB and have had a new one on now for about 3 months..although i did use the old gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant Evolution View Post
    My intake i have not removed when i checked for leaks, I had cracked my first one at the TB and have had a new one on now for about 3 months..although i did use the old gasket.
    Replace that gasket. It might not be sealing correctly causing a leak between the head and the manifold.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Replace that gasket. It might not be sealing correctly causing a leak between the head and the manifold.
    I will do that as well as replace ALL my vac hoses. Do you or anyone else know the size off hand? i can prob grab a spool of it at the auto store

I'm not sure what size the hose is on top of my head.

Have you thought of checking your axles as well? I know if axles are shot they can cause vibration.

i would double check the balance shaft to make sure it's not off 180 degrees....you have to take out a bolt in the front of the block and stick a screw driver, etc to make sure the counter weight is on the bottom (the alignment marks alone won't tell you this)

i'd do a compression check as well.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanaticsâ„¢ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Have you thought of checking your axles as well? I know if axles are shot they can cause vibration.
    Really? So at a full stop they will cause vibration? how is this??

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    i would double check the balance shaft to make sure it's not off 180 degrees....you have to take out a bolt in the front of the block and stick a screw driver, etc to make sure the counter weight is on the bottom (the alignment marks alone won't tell you this)

i'd do a compression check as well.
    I asked the tech when he did this and i asked him if he made sure he inserted the screwdriver to lock the shaft and he seemed confused at first but then said yeah...So i think i can check this out again as well. As for the compression test, i did about 3 weeks ago and after 3 turn overs i got 190+ each cylinder, i didnt know how many times to turn over so i did 3. Is this normal?

Here is another thought...could it be the tourque converter? It explains why it gets worse as the engine temp raises, and also why it only vibrates hard while in gear. It also has a shudder sometimes when letting off the gas at rpms over 2500, and sometimes hard shifting. Something never mentioned before but could be the cause?
    Last edited by Galant Evolution; 02-04-2010 at 12:58 PM

did you changed all four engine mount and check your fuel injector one of them may be gone

or your spark plug cable could be in the wrong hole

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    did you changed all four engine mount and check your fuel injector one of them may be gone
    Good idea, how would i be able to check these?? never done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    or your spark plug cable could be in the wrong hole
    Yeah i will double check but im pretty sure i got it right. Thanks for these ideas!!

If its not present all the time then its not the balance shaft.

Id have to say that your tranny might be going. Do a flush and maybe upgrade the tranny fluid cooler that is located in front of the radiator. Stock ones seem to be very restrictive and do to radiate heat well enough. i bought one from autozone back in the day when i was auto and it helped a lot. these get so hot you cant even touch it
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Damnit man! You beat me to it!

I figured I would try and sound all smart and shit and you stole my thunder. lol
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    If its not present all the time then its not the balance shaft.

Id have to say that your tranny might be going. Do a flush and maybe upgrade the tranny fluid cooler that is located in front of the radiator. Stock ones seem to be very restrictive and do to radiate heat well enough. i bought one from autozone back in the day when i was auto and it helped a lot. these get so hot you cant even touch it

Yeah i think it might be too :-/ How can i be sure though?? any tests you recommend?

5 speed time???

YEAH! haah well if this can be fixed and are sure its the trans ill keep the trans, what tests can i do??

I have the same vibrations you have when its only in gear at a stop, Im assuming its my trans so I just go with it till it blows. will be watching this thread to see what you find out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast