The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is my galant worth it????

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 61
    Tiller
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyniket)</div><div class='quotemain'>I beat civics with pride. The SI's will give me a little run for my money but I have beaten them and shut their trash talking up.</div>

that is such a load of shit... an Si with just an intake and an exhaust can run a 15sec quarter mile...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyniket)</div><div class='quotemain'>I beat civics with pride. The SI's will give me a little run for my money but I have beaten them and shut their trash talking up.</div>

that is such a load of shit... an Si with just an intake and an exhaust can run a 15sec quarter mile...</div>

uhhhh no.

There is a dude rolling in a Civic SI with I/H/E and he can't run faster than 15.5 or above. Just because you had a Civic that you clocked a 15 with doesn't mean every civic will clock 15s with just a Intake.

APBRSX-S
    ummm A Type S with I/E will barley run 15 sec wit a really good driver and a Type S eats most Si's (of course not the turbos)

T-O-P
    All points I agree with .. I also think that if you want your galant to be REALLY fast, and want to stand out(without a doubt you will) and be in car magazines for your hard-working money and efforts? HELL YEAH! go for it if you're motivated. Getting an already fast car can get played out I think . pretty much from the other car saying "Oh, that' why .. he's got money", or for having the suppsed up galant, .. "God Damn! .. WTF?!! Did you see that????!!! Jesus christ!!!!" .. What response do you want?

Supping up the galant to beat most stock or some supped up cars (especially honda's) I also resepect.

Making the car look good I respect to a point IMO. Rims, lights and stuff like that is cool .. but I mean .. c'mon . you gonna throw a body kit on the galant? Better back that up with performance .. seriously ..

ozkrow
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T-O-P)</div><div class='quotemain'> Getting an already fast car can get played out I think . pretty much from the other car saying "Oh, that' why .. he's got money", or for having the suppsed up galant, Â*.. "God Damn! .. WTF?!! Did you see that????!!! Jesus christ!!!!" .. What response do you want? ..</div>

well you kinda zonked urself on this one... the only way u can get a galant suped up is if u got money...face it everything has to be custom,turbo,etc... so its always gonna be about the money...and lets not act dumb here...isnt that all you really need? the all mighty dollar can make u as fast as u want!!!

T-O-P
    Ehhh not really. It depends on how you look at it .. Having an already fast and expensive looking car is a dead give away. Having a supped up Galant show's (IMO) character and effort, and a bunch of that glory crap. Much more worthy IMO...

Senior TGC Member
    The best comment anyone can give my car is "whoa...you've got a sleeper!" Not wow your car is blazing fast, not your car handles like a Corvette, rides like a Lexus, none of that. So in my case...yes, the Galant is worth hooking up. I think almost any car is worth modding personally...I've been to car shows and such and it's amazing what people can do to Accords, Civics, Eclipses, BMWs, etc...it's all really cool in the end.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Tiller
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(APBRSX-S)</div><div class='quotemain'>ummm A Type S with I/E will barley run 15 sec wit a really good driver and a Type S eats most Si's (of course not the turbos)</div>

i guess you can't drive then...

Type-S 13.9
    Si 16.31

those are the respective hp to weigh ratios, you can obvioulsy see the "S" has a huge advantage over the Si... And I gaurantee you that the Si will run a 15.0 1/4 with an intake, clutch and tires...

oh, an my Si had a power to weight ratio of about 9.8 and she ran 13's all day long...

[quote="well you kinda zonked urself on this one... the only way u can get a galant suped up is if u got money...face it everything has to be custom,turbo,etc... so its always gonna be about the money...and lets not act dumb here...isnt that all you really need? the all mighty dollar can make u as fast as u want!!![/quote]

Exactly, it's all about money. If I had thosands of dollars lying around to go turbo, upgrade tranny, stuff like that then I could do it. But the reason the post was started was by someone asking about low cost (comparatively) bolt on mods. If the guy had the money to go the turbo route, he probably would, and wouldn't even had start this thread. Basically what I'm trying to say is, buget wise, it makes more sense to get an older second car like a DSM, Supra, Galant VR4 , etc. My friend has a fast car. 240SX with the SR20DET swap. Let me tell you, it's fast as fuck, and so much fun, but it's his daily driver. It's loud, sucks gas, and has no cargo room. It's cool for him now I guess, being that he's 20, but gas is expensive, and he can't transport more than one other person anywhere. There's nothing like having a nice quiet, smooth ride to get your around town, then you could take the monster out on weekends.

APBRSX-S
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(APBRSX-S)</div><div class='quotemain'>ummm A Type S with I/E will barley run 15 sec wit a really good driver and a Type S eats most Si's (of course not the turbos)</div>

i guess you can't drive then...

Type-S 13.9
    Si 16.31

those are the respective hp to weigh ratios, you can obvioulsy see the "S" has a huge advantage over the Si... And I gaurantee you that the Si will run a 15.0 1/4 with an intake, clutch and tires...

oh, an my Si had a power to weight ratio of about 9.8 and she ran 13's all day long...</div>

o really care to take a look at this
    Quickest N/A
    1. [email protected] - allenp83
    2. [email protected] - cjmrsxs
    3. [email protected] - rsx blondie
    4. [email protected] - jdkindle
    5. 14.6862 @94.57 - 2ND RSX

Quickest Base
    1. 15.724 @87.79 - MTO RSX
    2. [email protected] - freds4
    3. [email protected] - capbill

Quickest F/I
    1. [email protected] - GRaFiX34 (75)
    2. [email protected] - daddy S (75)
    3. [email protected] - jdkindle (50)
    4. [email protected] - excess (50)
    5. [email protected] - slowracing (50)

Quickest 60ft FI
    1. 2.143 - GRaFiX34
    2. 2.198 - slowracing
    3. 2.2006 - jdkindle
    4. 2.259 - excess
    5. 2.33 - daddy S

Quickest 60ft N/A
    1. 2.205 - slowracing
    2. 2.2158 - jdkindle
    3. 2.225 - RickSXType-S
    4. 2.260 - rsxblondie
    5. 2.354 - MTO RSX

Best Reaction Time
    1. .5033 - jdkindle
    2. .521 - capbill
    3. .571 - MTO RSX
    4. .6086 - allenp83
    5. .6319 - RSX God

Fastest Trap FI
    1. 108.99 - daddy S
    2. 108.15 - GRaFiX34
    3. 103.14 - jdkindle
    4. 102.21 - excess
    5. 100.03 - slowracing

Fastest Trap N/A
    1. 96.53 - cjmrsxs
    2. 95.64 - rsxblondie
    3. 95.35 - jdkindle
    4. 94.92 - RickSXType-S
    5. 94.57 - 2ND RSX

(taken from clubrsx.com)

ozkrow
    ok so what cars ran what times....what a lack of info!!!

APBRSX-S
    ? most of the n/a are just i/e

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozkrow)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok so what cars ran what times....what a lack of info!!!</div>

Well looking where it says taken from clubrsx.com just below the times, the guy posting it has RSX in his name, along with most of the people with times having RSX in their names I tihnk it would be safe to assume the car he is posting about would be THE RSX! Wow, that took some heavy detective work to figure out

Sure it was lack of info by him and not lack of brains by you?

BigAlBrown

Is it worth it: yep, you bet.

If you are debating whether the Galant is a suitable base to start modding for a street ride, consider recent tests in magazines of similar cars. A Galant is just a 3G Eclpse with a more restrictive muffler and a longer wheelbase. Event the weights are nearly the same.
    Car and Driver did a 6 car test where the 3g came in second, and posted the fastest road course time of all the cars tested. They said it didn't feel fastest as it was so relaxed. I just call that composure. Remember the final fight scene in 'the Matrix' where Keanu Reeves blocks everthing one-handed, while looking at the other hand? Why let them see you sweat if you don't have to?

Last month Car and Driver tested a Dodge Stratus (which they said was a 3G Eclipse underneath, Wrong, acturally more like a 2door Galant). While the Mustang GT V8 was the fastest in the quarter and 0-60, again the Stratus/Galant beat the field.

Perception may be reality for most folks, but I like what Mark Twain said;
    "It's not all of the weird ideas people have that trouble me, it's all the perfectly normal ones they believe that are completely wrong!"

Seems the 8G is as good a place to start as a grocery getter '60s Nova. How many small and even big block Novas do you see at the track every weekend? I have had a late '80s Mustang GT and I have a 2002 ES V6 now. The v6 won't accelerate like the v8 but the feel of everthing else is as good or better.
    Big Al

Tiller
    uhhmmm... APBRSX-S I'm not quite sure what your point was in your whole post...?

Care to enlighten me...?

APBRSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyniket
    I beat civics with pride. The SI's will give me a little run for my money but I have beaten them and shut their trash talking up.
    that is such a load of shit... an Si with just an intake and an exhaust can run a 15sec quarter mile...
    I was on topic till u said this. U had nuthin to back ur "stats" up with and i did now u feel stupid thats all.

galant2kde
    tiller yet agian i have to shit on you to shut you the fuck up...

Civic SI : Stock (Manual Transmission)

Run 1 : [email protected]
    Run 2 : [email protected]
    Run 3 : [email protected]

Civic SI : CAI, Headers, Catback Exhuast (2.5), Performance Pullies, Cams & Cam gears (Manual Transmission)

Run 1 : [email protected]
    Run 2 : [email protected]
    Run 3 : [email protected]

Tiller Suggestion, go to school read up read the shit online we dont care what you think say or hear, please unsubscribe from this thread, Love alwayz Arthur...

bew
    Oh lordie, here we go. I hate to get into this topic since I love Hondas, fellow ex-Si owner and have alot of friends with modded Hondas. But, I can't let a good issue pass me by.

First off, I'm not going to bother with 'statistics' to backup any of my claims, as I have 'NO' reason to lie as I'm a fellow GTZ owner myself now. And as I offered in another post, I can and WILL back up ANY of these claims in person if you feel the need to drive to Nashville and run some of my buddies with Honda's. But, from my experience with races involving the cars you listed, this is my opinion:

Prelude - If its model sporting the H22A (200hp w/ 5 spd), no way will you run with it. If It's modded, you will cry when he's done. If you're modded equally, you will want to return your parts. The Prelude pulls VERY strong on the insterstate.. modded Si's get their asses handed to them by these cars daily out here.

Civic Si - Stock for Stock, you will not win. Same mods, you will get dogged on.

Jetta 1.8t - Yet again, you will definately lose. If he has only ONE mod, being a boost controller, you will get slaughtered.

Integra GSR - You will get your ass handed to you. If it's modded, save your gas.

Integra TypeR - I need not even say

In all seriousness, don't build your car to 'outrun ricers' unless you're willing to dump serious cash into your car. Yes, most 'ricers' are shit-talking punks that gave guys like me (true racers) a bad name. They also lose alot of races becuase a) they cant drive worth a shit, they have no mods to boot, c) they rag their engines out. I also hate this because it makes everyone think they can outrun all of the Honda's on the road simply because they beat some ricer in a beatup Civic EX with stickers and bullshit mods.

Also, Tiller is right in his claim. I have, with my own two eyes, witnessed Civic Si's run VERY low 15's on nothing more than an exhaust/intake/header. I've even seen video's on clubsi of a moderator's SiR (Canadian version of the US Si) run a 14.9 with slicks and intake. The Si is highly capable of good numbers with a good driver.

Remember, our car might have 200hp and a 3.0L V6, but they are automatics and weigh alot more than the cars you want to beat. If you want some good, even races; race cars in your class like Non-Si Civic's, Integra RS/GS/LS's, Eclipse GS's and so on. To reach the stars you need a space shuttle, not a telescope.

On a lighter note, I'd LOVE to whoop up on my friend's out here with my GTZ.. but I'm not inane, nor am I naive; It's just not happening. I am looking into turbo kits right now, but my biggest draw back is boosting a damn automatic. And I'm not willing to do an engine swap in a car with 17k miles on it. My plan as of now is to mod this GTZ, then next summer turn it over to my wife (who's into imports as well) and get a new WRX. I want to go fast, look good and have room.. the WRX offers it all.

P.S. If anyone dislikes me now, so be it. If anyone wants to test my claims about the results of the races.. I'll give you my number and we'll setup some races here in Nashville.

galant2kde
    Bew:" Integra GSR - You will get your ass handed to you. If it's modded, save your gas."

Jonny Tran "I'll see you in the desert next month. Get ready to have your ass handed to you."
    Torreto : "Well, you'll need a little more than that crotch rocket."
    Jonny Tran "I got something for you."

batman
    i am ne to the galant site, pretty cool so far. im from honda hook up .com and i stopped by here because my girlfriends dad recently purchased a 2001 esv6. damn nice car, and it has balls. What i am about to say is not ment to rag on the galant, in fact, i have much respect, as I have driven mikes. the car is awesome, but it is no racer. of course it has the potential to become one, i mean hell, its a friggin v6 to start with. but look at it like this, my 1992 prelude si came stock with 160 hp and 127 ib ft of tourqe, i found the car in a classified for 3000$ with 180000miles. purred like a kitten. this year lude wieghed around 2900 pounds, wereas the galant comes in @ the 3300 to 3400 mark (please correct me if Im wrong) these two cars would hold a very close race completely stock. the prelude will win by 1and1/2 car lengths every time. ive raced , I know. so you spend in ecsess of 3000 for a turbo. now your fast. I spend 2500 or less on a vtec motor swap and i will run high13s. the galant is fuc**** awesome , but it will not be the rice grinder you want it to be unless you can put some serious cash down. and again, I mean no disrespect and am really enjoying checking out some dope ass galants. and if you ever did make your car a monster, it would be a total sleeper, one last comment, the galant is extremely underrated in my opinion. thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast