The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ECU and TCU or TCM whats the difference??

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

ECU and TCU or TCM whats the difference??

I have a 1994 galant 2.0. Im confuse with these. What is the difference between the ECU and The TCU in a 1994 galant. I saw in websites,( im trying to get a used parts in both of these), but they have different serial nos. is TCU and ECU the same in a 1994 galant. coz some websites call ECU a TCU and a TCU an ECU!!?? if they are not the same can you tell me please what is the correct serials for both ECU and a TCU for my car.. please help. coz I don't want to end up buying two same unit.

TCU - Transmission Control Unit only available in automatic galant, control shifting on automatic trannys.

Ecu - Electronic Computer Unit also call ECM, Computer... etc. It control the engine ignition and everything makes the car runs good.

I think the TCM is similar to TCU
    http://www.gasketer.ecrater.com/
    get you OEM parts with low price

you meant to say you have a 2.4l galant. unless its motor swapped its a 2.4

the ecu controls the engine and tcu controls the automatic transmission. like stated above

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Thanks guys. excuse my english there...what I want to know is...Is the ECU/ECM and the TCU/TCM is in the same module? or should I buy them separately? Im asking these coz, I saw a website that sells these and it say" used ECU/TCU" and when I look for pictures of it in the net, they looked the same!(ECU and TCU). that's why I was thinking that probably that they came in or combined to a same casing or module. like this link here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AMEBOFFX%3AIT

and they came in different part no. too like the link above the part# is: MD757009
    and here is another part it also says ECU. part# is: MD304089

And also an additional question: can these parts fit on a Philippine Galants? I have a 1994 but what I saw in the pics they look similar. but the problem is : I have a 2.0 engine and the US have 2.4 think they will be compatible. thanks again for the reply.

Well it says it man, IDK what you dont understand.

it doesnt matter the it says ECU when it says transmission before it. Some people like to explain it a little better although it creates some confusion

and yes they are two separate units. they are located on pass. side kick panel of the dashboard. when you pop it first you pull out is the TCU, then just above it is the ECU

Most likely the TCU and ECU form USDM Galant will work on yours
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i'm pretty sure a ECU for a 2.4L motor isn't going to work well for a 2.0L motor.

ECU = ECM (electronic control unit/module)
    TCU = TCM (transmission control unit/module).

they are two seperate units.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

well they both have distributors
    they both have obd 1.5
    there may be some difference in the injector size, but thats no biggie
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
    I have a 2.0 engine and the US have 2.4 think they will be compatible. thanks again for the reply.
    if your car is USDM just like your profile suggests. it says CA. so ya, it doesnt add up

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Ok thanks Guys for all your reply. got it clear now. I bought a haynes repair manual for this car and gave me a lot of info about this TCM and PCM thingy. thanks again guys ur all great.

On the 8g galants is the ECU the one with the 4 ports and the TCM the one with 3?

guys, does anyone have a tcu pinouts for 2.0 galant. thanks in advance