The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: upgrade to 8g rear lower control and sway bar ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24
    briggs

upgrade to 8g rear lower control and sway bar ?

I did notice MKO mentioned this is a viable upgrade. I'm looking to pull the sway bar from a salvage 8g. Noticed my control arms will have to be swapped out. instead of getting a 2g lower control arm can I just pull the 8g lower control arm with the sway bar ? Also will my prothane bushings fit the new 8g control arm ?

yes, bought an 8G sway from MKO with control arms. bushings will work if the bar is the same size. GS is only 12mm I think the 8G is like 18mm. every thing will bolt up with little fuss. there is a how to on this.....search

i think i says it in the tutorial. you need 8g/3g control arms, sway bar, mounting brackets, bolts. Autozone has the bushings for $15 and you need them to be off ....lets say 99 Eclipse GSX AWD rear sway bar
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

So the 8g g lower tubular control arms and sway bar fits with no mods? I was wondering about that as theres a v6 8 g in the j/y with the rear 5 lug swap and sway bar. looks beefier.

1994 Galant S. 90 Percent GS.

yes no modifications needed

Build Thread

NICE! Im headed to the j/y for the bigger bar! Thanks for this thread a I was going to ask if the sway bar would fit.

1994 Galant S. 90 Percent GS.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    so you guys know for sure that the 3G/8G lower control arms and sway bar fits the same as 2G?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

yes, ive been rocking it for 2 years now

Build Thread

briggs
    quick question, apparently the 8g I was planning to salvage got moved off the lot. I was looking into just buying the control arms new, but noticed there is a GTZ and non GTZ version anyone know the difference ?

same

Build Thread

briggs
    Finally pulled an 8g sway bar and right and left lower control arms. I also used the brackets from the 8g with a little modification. Couple things i've noticed.

1.) The 8g sway bar mounts are about 1.5 cm further to the back of the car. When installed on the 7g the angle on the links aren't a nice 90 degrees. I'm wondering if they may snap. so this is directed to mko.

2.) Had a little modification on the abs sensor wire. Had to modify the mounting points and bend the metal part a little to clear the sway bar links.

I'm thinking it may be worth it to make a spacer bracket for the mount and get the 2g brackets. This will allow me to use the prothane bushings.

yes for the prothane

Build Thread

briggs
    mko,

you still running the 8g arm with the 8g lower control arms ? just curious if you've had any trouble. referring to the offset problem between the 7g mounting point and the 8g for the sway bar brackets.

i used 2g mounting brackets that came with the 15mm GST sway bar and 2g GSX rear sway bar bushings from autozone. I saw the holes didnt line up and ive rear people on DSMTuners who have done the mod say that too. I read that they needed to dremmel out the holes so they work for the 2g.

I advised RedlineDohc who bought 8g sway bar from me to reuse his original 7g brackets and buy the 2g GSX rear sway bar bushings from autozone

Build Thread

TANKDawG
    hello to all.. this my first ever reply... i been trying to read up on all i can learn on the 7g and im so close to finishing my frist upgrade on my 1995 galant... i got the 8g lower controls already(installed) endlinks (brand new) and the 8g swaybar(with bushing and brackets) but during the the install i found out the 8g bracket and bolts didnt fit so im deciding to buy the brackets out the 7g GS brand new from the dealer due to how hard it is to find a GS galant at j/y here in dallas... i been to 4 of the biggest yards and i cant find them at where. but Im trying to find the right size of the bolts needed with the 7G bracket so i get it from autozone if i can get them there... any advice is welcome

Search more junkyards. I just throw out a the brackets a few months ago!

Quote Originally Posted by TANKDawG View Post
    hello to all.. this my first ever reply... i been trying to read up on all i can learn on the 7g and im so close to finishing my frist upgrade on my 1995 galant... i got the 8g lower controls already(installed) endlinks (brand new) and the 8g swaybar(with bushing and brackets) but during the the install i found out the 8g bracket and bolts didnt fit so im deciding to buy the brackets out the 7g GS brand new from the dealer due to how hard it is to find a GS galant at j/y here in dallas... i been to 4 of the biggest yards and i cant find them at where. but Im trying to find the right size of the bolts needed with the 7G bracket so i get it from autozone if i can get them there... any advice is welcome
    8g brackets fit, get a drill and expand the holes down to the center

EDIT: here are some pics of how everything looks after 2 years.

22mm Addco (8g) sway bar, 1g Diamante sway bar links, polyurethane bushings

Last edited by mko; 06-02-2010 at 08:54 PM

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    8g brackets fit, get a drill and expand the holes down to the center

EDIT: here are some pics of how everything looks after 2 years.

22mm Addco (8g) sway bar, 1g Diamante sway bar links, polyurethane bushings

Sir, will the 8g end links work with the 7g, ive read that they may break or snap, if not what are my other options in terms of getting endlinks bnew or otherwise. i dont live in the USA so what are my options. Do you know of a website i can get these endlinks. TIA

I have had the 8g setup on mine for a little while now. still using the 8g endlinks. no cracking, bending. The diamante endlinks would be better because they sit at the proper angle.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmanp92eb View Post
    I have had the 8g setup on mine for a little while now. still using the 8g endlinks. no cracking, bending. The diamante endlinks would be better because they sit at the proper angle.
    Are the diamante endlinks available online and at what price. So its would be okay for me to use the 8g endlinks. Thanks so much for this information. Can you tell me about the difference using this setup over the previous 7g lower and upper and swaybar combination.

TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast