The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt Recommendations, please?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Icon5 Timing Belt Recommendations, please?

Hi everyone -

I am due for a Timing Belt replacement in about a week's time, and I was hoping you could help out in choosing the best timing belt replacement on a budget? This will be my first Timing Belt replacement, so I am hoping

- Generally, how much on average is a 7G Timing Belt? (use whatever currency you fancy, I will just convert them to my currency)
    - What are the parts that I should buy when replacing it? Is it just the Timing Belt?
    - How much difference is OEM compared to aftermarket Timing Belts in terms of durability & longevity?

I'm hoping for any feedback.
    Thank you very much, kind sirs and ma'ams.

Regards,
    Jeff
    "There isn't one of us that doesn't want to be someplace else.. But this is what we do, who we are.." - John J. Rambo (Rambo IV)

Good belt is Gatorback belt which is about $40. You should replace that balance shaft belt too and the timing tensioner and balance belt tensioner.

Thanks bro The Kent.. Do you have a list of parts I need to replace?
    "There isn't one of us that doesn't want to be someplace else.. But this is what we do, who we are.." - John J. Rambo (Rambo IV)

aftermarket belt is about 80 bux for my 7g vr4 and genuine mitsi belt is about 240.

get a gates belt from www.rockauto.com I had ordered 2 sets. They are really good belts and they have been recommended to me by multiple people with a turbo setup.

They have a timing belt kit and i believe its around $60 shipped. ($50 + whatever shipping is). It comes with one tensioner pulley and one idler pulley. just add to cart and you'll have it early next week or maybe even saturday.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Since you're getting it to Philippines, Rockauto will cost you about $50 for shipping alone. You should try to buy it from there. The parts you would need for just the timing belt are -
    * 1 Timing Belt
    * 1 Bal. Shaft Belt
    * 1 Tensioner
    * 1 Idler Bearing
    * 1 B/Shaft Tensioner

But if you are in there the recommended parts to change are -

* timing belt
    * balance shaft belt
    * water pump
    * automatic tensioner (hydraulic)
    * tensioner (roller for the tensioner assembly)
    * timing belt idler/roller
    * balance shaft tensioner (roller)
    * all drive belts
    * valve cover gasket set including tube seals
    * front cam and crank seals plus balance and oil pump seals

All those come off, and then you don't have to worry about them for a while, I believe.

Most of the time aftermarket companies like Bando and Gates are the guys that make the OEM belts for Mitsu/Honda etc, I believe. So if you buy them, they will be cheaper and of the same quality as OEM. GMB makes pretty good water pumps and are a lot cheaper than the OEM ones.
    Last edited by tamim13; 04-21-2010 at 09:14 AM