The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Where is the AIRBAG COMPUTER? Trying to replace the whole system.

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Where is the AIRBAG COMPUTER? Trying to replace the whole system.

Just like the title says guys, where exactly is the air bag comp. located?

Both of mine have went off, trying to change the system myself... if i can locate everything and figure out how to remove both airbags.

I know theres like 10 screws on top of the dash for the passanger, but anyone know about the driver?

And i've heard that the computer is under the driver seat? Or is it under the passanger air bag in the dash?

Anyone have a website or the repair manuals?

I've used WINCAPS, but as usuall its not really much help on our 9gs.

FYI, ITS A 2004 ES. (Shouldn't matter with location, but im not 100% on that)

Then if anyone has info or any links on where i can get a new dash, the pad and the felt covering stuff, or what part number it is please let me know.

Thanks Guys! Hopefully someone has had a problem with theirs going off on them as well.

Also if anyone knows where i can purchase them besides ebay let me know, I can get both bags for about 100 a peice.

Do i need a clockspring still? Someone let me know.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Im not certain on the 9g but on the 8g its under the dash, under the heater core assembly. Imagine inside where the radio is, then go straight down to the floor, thats where it is on the 8g. Some cars its under the center console. I have never seen a car with it under the seat,

There are two TORX head screws on the side of the steering wheel, remove both of them and the airbag pops right out. It is a good idea to replace the clockspring. Its also a good idea to let someone who knows what they are doing do the work, airbags are tricky, sometimes the systems dont always reset themselves and need a pro to reset them. I removed and put back all my airbag stuff with no issues, but I also have a good amount of experience and the 8g system is a little less complex.

Good luck with everything, if you need more help just post up your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Im not certain on the 9g but on the 8g its under the dash, under the heater core assembly. Imagine inside where the radio is, then go straight down to the floor, thats where it is on the 8g. Some cars its under the center console. I have never seen a car with it under the seat,

There are two TORX head screws on the side of the steering wheel, remove both of them and the airbag pops right out. It is a good idea to replace the clockspring. Its also a good idea to let someone who knows what they are doing do the work, airbags are tricky, sometimes the systems dont always reset themselves and need a pro to reset them. I removed and put back all my airbag stuff with no issues, but I also have a good amount of experience and the 8g system is a little less complex.

Good luck with everything, if you need more help just post up your questions.
    Thanks alot man really helps! Ya i found the two screw holes but i wasn't sure what head they were. Knowing now that they are TORX will GREATLY help me out.

Now if i can only figure out where the two bolts holding the passanger air bag in are. Then i'll be in buisness.

Iv'e done a few air bag systems back in the day, but that was mainly on my 98 ford probe gt turbo, so the system was literaly unhook the battery, two bolts on each bag unhook from the harness, and they pulled right out. Very simple.

I got a guy to reset the computer but i just need to pull it, im thinking id rather go this way then go to the dealer...

Their quoting me about 1500 just for the bags and a new computer.... thats not counting the install work, or the dash i need.

Supposedly the dash comes all assembled according to the dealer i contacted. So if anyone else happens to read this Pass on the knoweldge, unless anyone else knows different.

The pad/covering is not an orderable peice, it comes as the whole dash..... figures.... That'll prob run me about 500-600 from the dealer...... :sighs:

Unless i can find a junked 9g.. highly unlikely, but i'll keep my hopes up.

If anyone else knows exactly how to pull the passanger airbag let me know. Thanks Guys!

And again,

Thanks a bunch Stewi for the info. you provided. Its going to help out quite a bit.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The passenger airbag is usually held in with 4 nuts or screws and its done from under the dash or sometimes thru the glovebox opening. On an 8g, if you remove the glove box and get a small 1/4 drive ratchet, 10mm socket and a long extension you can get at all 4 bolts. That little cover on top of the airbag has 4 straps that hold it to the airbag, dont mess with that, you can pull the whole airbag with the cover thing as one piece then mess with the cover once the airbag is out of the dash.

Also, you cant program an airbag computer outside of the car. It needs to be done thru the OBDII port, once all the parts are replaced you may get an SRS light on the dash, at that point it needs to be reprogrammed. You cant just bring the computer to your friend to program it, unless he is gonna put it into another 9g and program it in that car.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by mattienorton View Post
    The pad/covering is not an orderable peice, it comes as the whole dash..... figures.... That'll prob run me about 500-600 from the dealer...... :sighs:
    This is true.
    $800-900 is what new ones cost from a dealership.

Here's a digram I retrieved from the service manual. The SRS ECU is located under the dash in the center.
    Last edited by Daes9G; 02-11-2010 at 04:33 AM