The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt recommendations, please?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Icon5 Timing Belt recommendations, please?

Hi everyone -

I am due for a Timing Belt replacement in about a week's time, and I was hoping you could help out in choosing the best timing belt replacement on a budget? This will be my first Timing Belt replacement, so I am hoping I would do it right the first time.

- Generally, how much on average is a 7G Timing Belt? (use whatever currency you fancy, I will just convert them to my currency)
    - What are the parts that I should buy when replacing it? Is it just the Timing Belt?
    - How much difference is OEM compared to aftermarket Timing Belts in terms of durability & longevity?

I'm hoping for any feedback.
    Thank you very much, kind sirs and ma'ams.

Regards,
    Jeff
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 02-09-2010 at 11:43 PM
    "There isn't one of us that doesn't want to be someplace else.. But this is what we do, who we are.." - John J. Rambo (Rambo IV)

i would only use oem timing belts, but thats just me.
    maybe sombody can hook you up with a part number.

Thanks for the opinion, bro.. So is it just the Timing belt that you normally replace, or there is some other part that you also replace?

I'm a noob, sorry for the basic questions.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    i would only use oem timing belts, but thats just me.
    maybe sombody can hook you up with a part number.
    "There isn't one of us that doesn't want to be someplace else.. But this is what we do, who we are.." - John J. Rambo (Rambo IV)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    when doing the timing belt, it is recommended to also replace the balance shaft belt and the water pump while your in there. and trust me, go OEM mitsu. you will thank yourself later.

balance shaft belt should be around 30, timing belt around 80 and the water pump is the killer and is around 150.. at least do the belts OEM, water pump i will leave up to you
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    http://vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html

follow this to a T

you need to replace both tensioners, and both pulleys. replace your water pump, balance shaft belt, and timing belt as well.

use OEM. the price difference is almost trivial, anyone who uses aftermarket belts is a jew and will pay for it later
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Your name Jeff huh..
    buying it in Philippines is that expensive?
    http://www.gasketer.ecrater.com/
    get you OEM parts with low price

Thanks guys.. So far, here is what I gathered when I called up a local Original Mitsubish parts dealer:

Galant Parts Subtotal Price in US$
    Timing Belt PhP2,876.80 $58.71
    Cam Oil Seal PhP304.00 $6.20
    Original Crank Oil Seal PhP576.80 $11.77
    Water Pump PhP1,800.00 $36.73
    Tensioner Bearing PhP520.00 $10.61
    Original Balancer Belt PhP1,076.00 $21.96
    Labor Fee PhP1,800.00 $36.73
    TOTAL EXPENSES PhP8,953.60 $182.73

Do I have all the right parts that I asked for? Are these the parts I need to replace? :(

Those are great prices but I can't believe an OEM water pump is only $36. Autozone charges $56 for a mits water pump. Also the labor rate is extremely low. Get them to give you that in writing before they do any work and then have them do it. Before I started doing my own timing belts I was quotes $150-200 for the labor alone. Who are you getting your parts from?
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

he is in the phillipines.

and yes, i think that should cover it for parts.

Im going to bring my car to the Philippines when I need to do maintenance. Those are great prices and should be all you need to do.

Hahaha.. Prices are really cheap here, because it is just right for the country's market. The country you live in dictates the level of pricing for any item.

Yes, I do have a habit of writing down the prices and then writing the names of the people who quote these prices before I agree on any repair. Last November, I replaced some underchassis parts through them, as well as brake shoes.

Thanks for the feedback! :) And yeah, you can always have parts shipped from the Philippines to the US if you need anything. It's common for Filipinos who are living overseas, because they are aware of the cheap prices here. :)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Wouldn't the shipping make up for the cheap price?

If they are just small and not-so-heavy parts (i.e. ball joints, belts), then it's ok.. But if they are huge ones (spoilers, mag wheels), it is not a viable option.

By the way, were my parts correct?

I saw in the other thread that an 8G needs these parts replaced:

(1) Timing Belt
    (1) Balance Shaft Belt
    (1) Timing Belt Tensioner
    (1) Timing Belt Idler
    (1) Balance Shaft Tensioner
    (1) Water Pump

Would it be the same for a 7G?

Depending on the milage and condition of the parts, I generally only replace the timing belt and the balance shaft belt. I have replaced the tensioners and idler when doing a timing belt but have never done the Cam Oil Seal or the Crank oil seal. The water pump should be replaced if it shows any sign of seepage/leaks as antifreeze will kill a timing belt in no time at all. Consider replacing the water pump if it is a high milage car because if it goes out you will have to pull the timing belt to do the water pump. Given the cost, I'd just go ahead and do the water pump at the time of my timing belt.

Now those prices make sense. Somehow missed you were in the PI. Just curious, what is the price of gas there. I am paying $2.61 a gallon here in Montana, USA, jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

I'm considering this to be done at some point in my GS as well. I'm currently sitting at 186k miles, last records show the timing belt/water pump was done at 144k.

I'm going to be checking what the current dealer prices are for this. Hopefully there is a writeup somewhere to help me out.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondragon16 View Post
    I'm considering this to be done at some point in my GS as well. I'm currently sitting at 186k miles, last records show the timing belt/water pump was done at 144k.

I'm going to be checking what the current dealer prices are for this. Hopefully there is a writeup somewhere to help me out.
    i got my gs headgasket, timing belt, balance shaft belt and other little things for 200 bucks from the dealer
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Thanks for that info. Not horrible prices I don't believe.