The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing belt Question

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 43 of 43
    Yeah, I'm gonna rent that impact. I attempted to do this two weeks ago but that dang crank bolt delayed my repairs. Quick question, when you took the crank bolt off did you do it while the crank pulley was still on or did you remove the crank pulley and then remove the crank bolt with it still being on the crank sprocket? If so what did you use to keep the pulley/sprocket in place? I'm curious because I'm looking in the manufacturer manual and it says to remove the crank pulley and hold the crank sprocket with a special spanner while you loosten the crank bolt. That tool is expensive to buy, but I would rather spend money on that than new head (lol) and pistons. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Just had timing belt replaced at dealership (02 Galant 3.0-V6). Idle is now very rough and check engine light is now on. Has anyone experienced this after having new timing belt installed? Any idea what may be causing this? Will double check vacuum lines and spark plug wires. If nothing is found, back to dealership I go!
    Last edited by GSpeed; 09-22-2010 at 05:33 AM

Checked vacuum lines and electrical connections (the locations I could access anyway). Checked okay. I did notice however, that a spark plug wire boot was labeled "6" in white out (by mechanic I assume). It's labeled "6" and the OEM cable had 4 marked on it as did the distributor cap. Same for OEM cable 4 (has "4" marked in white out on wire boot but marked 6 on cable and distributor cap) Will also double check these wires are going to correct cylinder. Appears this may be causing issue rather than an issue with timing chain. Will swap and see if engine idles better and Check Engine Light clears.
    Last edited by GSpeed; 09-22-2010 at 03:26 PM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123