The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine cleaning

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 68

Engine cleaning

Engine cleaning has any body tried it if so what is the process

What you you mean? A home remedy of Seafoam? Or are you talking about a stripped down project, bare block and heads?

Im talking about the engine bay

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Cover the intake if you have open filter and just spray it with engine de-greaser, use a brush and then rinse. Nothing to it.

Go to the autoparts store and get a large can of their CHEAPEST aerosol tire shine. HAS to be aerosol.

Spray down your ENTIRE engine bay. i mean every single square inch of wiring harness, piping, metal, it doesn't matter. every square inch from every angle. Use the ENTIRE can.
    Until your engine bay looks like its 4" deep in snow. Belts, alternator,distributor, doesn't matter. EVERYTHING.

Once its all on there, wait for the foam to dissolve on its own, then immediately hop in your car and drive straight to the do it yourself car wash bay at your nearest car wash.

Pop your hood and pressure wash the shit out of it with soap and water. you can use the degreaser if you like but at this point its not necessary.

Blast every square inch of yoru engine bay, wires, hoses, belts, alternator whatever. (your engine needs to be hot when you do this step)

Once its done just drive home hard to evaporate all of the water. when you get home pop the hood and admire your engine bay.
    It should look brand spanking new. If for any reason there are any water spots on the painted surfaces, just use a microfiber towel and some detail spray. they will wipe right off.

It won't be dripping with silicone or anything. all of your plastics will look factory new, your hoses will look new, your metal will have a nice soft gloss.

Basically how this works is the foaming aerosol tire shine has surfactants in it that will emulsify all of the dirt oil and grime and lift it off the surface. Silicone will remain on the surface, and the dirt will float on top of it.
    when you pressure wash it you will spray the dirt off(that no longer has a bond because of the silicone) the dirt rinses off easily, and of course all of the excess silicone will be rinsed off as well.

Once you are done all of the dry plastics will now be treated and reconditioned. your engine will look awesome, and for quite a while any new dirt will be repelled.
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 02-11-2010 at 01:08 PM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

BUt what about the high pressure thats not good on the electrical and connections,

when covering the filter get a gallon size ziploc baggie and rubber band it and duct tape it

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    BUt what about the high pressure thats not good on the electrical and connections,

when covering the filter get a gallon size ziploc baggie and rubber band it and duct tape it
    Every electrical connection that can be negatively effected by moisture has a rubber gasket seal in it. No moisture is going to get into your wiring. So blast away.
    Engineers put the gaskets in there for a reason. There is no need to cover your filter. Do it if you want, but to ome its a waste of time. Obviously you don't want to blast away at the filter, but it they get wet all the time, so its not going to ruin it if you do spray it.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

even with an open air filter??

Experienced TGC Member
    I sprayed down my bay once and it wouldent start, had to let it sit for a few then it started.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

thats why I wouldnt do a high pressure wash, a garden hose with a nozzle might be perfect

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    nice DOHC imma try that out

I may be meticulous but I use a toothbrush with super clean and a hose.

neat freak????? jk jk lol

don't worry i also used a toothbrush to clean my car when i 1st got it but that was only cuz i could tell the previous owner had neglected for it like 8yrs; oil, coolant and who knows what else was splattered all around the engine bay

haha mines the same but its too damn cold to clean it

yea usually only clean it once a year during the summer

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    totally doing that when the snow melts

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    totally doing that when the snow melts
    Definitely!
    "A smart man can learn more from the questions asked of him than the questioner does from his answers.'

Waiting for spring to come around.. an then Im going military style! Armed with a ToothBrush, Degreaser, Garden Hose, Garden sprayer, towel, time, in the garage, and loud Music!!!!

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Go to the autoparts store and get a large can of their CHEAPEST aerosol tire shine. HAS to be aerosol.

Spray down your ENTIRE engine bay. i mean every single square inch of wiring harness, piping, metal, it doesn't matter. every square inch from every angle. Use the ENTIRE can.
    Until your engine bay looks like its 4" deep in snow. Belts, alternator,distributor, doesn't matter. EVERYTHING.

Once its all on there, wait for the foam to dissolve on its own, then immediately hop in your car and drive straight to the do it yourself car wash bay at your nearest car wash.

Pop your hood and pressure wash the shit out of it with soap and water. you can use the degreaser if you like but at this point its not necessary.

Blast every square inch of yoru engine bay, wires, hoses, belts, alternator whatever. (your engine needs to be hot when you do this step)

Once its done just drive home hard to evaporate all of the water. when you get home pop the hood and admire your engine bay.
    It should look brand spanking new. If for any reason there are any water spots on the painted surfaces, just use a microfiber towel and some detail spray. they will wipe right off.

It won't be dripping with silicone or anything. all of your plastics will look factory new, your hoses will look new, your metal will have a nice soft gloss.

Basically how this works is the foaming aerosol tire shine has surfactants in it that will emulsify all of the dirt oil and grime and lift it off the surface. Silicone will remain on the surface, and the dirt will float on top of it.
    when you pressure wash it you will spray the dirt off(that no longer has a bond because of the silicone) the dirt rinses off easily, and of course all of the excess silicone will be rinsed off as well.

Once you are done all of the dry plastics will now be treated and reconditioned. your engine will look awesome, and for quite a while any new dirt will be repelled.
    This goes against EVERYTHING that I have been told. I'd like to see pics of your before, 2 durings (one with the "4" deep snow", and one of power washing the bay), and one after before I recommend anyone to do this.

Then again, this IS just me.

On a side note, I was told to do it when your engine is hot and to use easy off oven cleaner and spray it down with a water hose then dry it off. I've seen this guys bay and it is CLEAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast