The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To: Remove Dash

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

How To: Remove Dash

Original Thread on GF: Click Here

I never got around to editing it to include the pictures but if you read it carefully and use the pictures I posted in the picture dump you should be able to follow it. I can no stress it enough.. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CUT ANYTHING ON THE AIRBAG!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet
    Here you go Jason, I decided to make a brand new How To on removing dash since i didnt like the other one.

Disclaimer Statement:
    The following information herein is provided as public information with the understanding that I, ADExternal, am not responsible for either expressed or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information. Which also includes accidents, breakage, or other errors that may occur during this process.

Tools:
    - Small Flathead Screwdriver
    - Large Size Flathead Screwdriver
    - Mid Size < 4in neck Phillips Screwdriver
    - Ratchet w/ 3in extension, 12mm *10mm not 12*
    - Tiny Allen wrench set

1) Unplug battery terminal before you do anything so you can work on the dash while waiting. I took the negative off which will cut the circuit to the entire car electrical. This is to prevent the air bags to deploy when your taking it out which I will later get into full detail.
    Note: Unplug and wait 40mins with the doom lights running to be 100% sure all electric is totally drained, set a timer for precaution.
    Also un-plug any other batteries if applicable.

2) You have to remove center vent, radio trim, side panel and side pillar trims, these can be popped off with the small flathead screwdriver. You can wrap the flathead with a cloth or tape as to not damage the area around or the piece itself. I would recommend getting clearance with a screwdriver for the pillar pieces and pull it off with your hand.
    Note: Remember the hazard light has a plug that is connected so you need to unplug it when you remove the center vent.
    Each side pillar trims have 3tabs and 3clips don’t lost any of them.

3) Center vent, side panel and trims are off; you can take off the gauge bezel. By tilting the steering wheel down for extra clearance. Then there will be 2 screws underside inside the cluster trim. Remove those two screws push the bottom in a little since there is two plastic hook holding the bottom and pull the top outward slowly while remembering to push the bottom in.
    Note: Dimmer wire is connected to this piece and don’t forget to disconnected since you can reach behind it.

4) Remove the actual speedometer/cluster. This is just held up by 4 screws at each end. You will clearly see them at each corner, unscrew these, and pull the speedometer/cluster outward by tilting the top towards you first. Then disconnect the harnessed at each side on the back of the speedometer.
    Note: Put this piece where there is no electrical current, it is not entirely fragile but better to be safe then sorry.

5) Go to the glove box and open it, take everything out, the glove box is held up by hangers at the bottom. I would unscrew the front panel from the inside on the side of the container and the lock/latch. When you finish, the front panel and a metal piece will fall from the container and just left it off from the hangers then you can slide the container back and pull it out. You will see two bolts through the bottom of the dash. Remember those.
    Note: You will need an Allen wrench but I just used a smaller screwdriver pushed really hard to get the screws of the lock/latch off.

6) Remove the bottom section of the dash starting with the passenger side where you just remove the glove box. You will need to remove 2 screws at the bottom (behind the glove box was) 2 on back top and 1 at the front top. Then there are two screws on the left side of the center consol that holds that piece also, 1 on top and 1 on the bottom screws. Then there are two located behind center bezel that was taken off earlier holding the top and bottom dash together. Then the bottom piece, which sits above the lights and ashtray, should also come out with the entire piece with a little tug from the center.
    Note: Unscrew the AC controller before and hold it up while you pull the bottom piece from underneath.

7) Remove the radio. There are screws behind the radio that is holding it back. Unscrew those, pull the radio out and unplug all the wires and harness.
    Note: You do NOT have to remove this and just have it sitting on top of the AC Controller, just have it off the dash portion.

8 ) Moving on to the bottom dash of the driver side. 1 screw left top and 1 bottom left side of the steering wheel then 1 screw on the top and 1 on the bottom but on the right side. Then unscrew 2 that are holding the hood latch at the bottom. The piece should come out now.
    Note: There are tabs holding the top of the piece, just tug on that a little and it will pop out.

9) Use an extended ratchet to unbolt the left side, right side, and where the cluster use to be, 3 bolts total for that. Then remove two bolts that you saw from step 5 that secures a safety bar. After removing that, there are 4 bolts holding on the airbag in the same area. Unbolt those four; there is a wire on the left side of the area that is connected to the airbag. The wire will be secured with a clip holding the plug together, unclip it then unplug the airbag. Push the airbag upward and the top should pop off and pull it out.
    Note: By the time you finish up to Step 8, 40mins should elapse already.

10) Last part is where you will need to pull out the entire dash. You might need another person for this one step. Again with the steering wheel is at its lowest position, you will grab a hold of the dash and pull up and outward, might seem like nothings happening at first but you will eventually have something tugging on it during the process. When that happens, raise the dash upward a bit more and pull it out. You will finally get it loose, most of the time its easier to get out by the passenger side, so have both doors open while your trying to remove the top dash. After a couple of tugs and pulls it should come outward. Just slide it out towards the passenger side. If your alone, sit in the driver seat pull the dash from the center outward. You can have the dash’s right side set hanging out of the window while resting the left side on the center consol. Go around to the passenger window and pull the rest out.
    Note: Precaution for any wires can be caught while pulling it out.

Written by Wynn

Picture Dump

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Great write up..

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Awesome, now i can replace my torn center speaker once it gets warmer ! thanks !

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    You don't need to remove your dash to replace your center speaker...

looks like alot of fun lol.. good explanation.. will use this in the near future..

-Danny
    Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    Ally and her whip a day helps keep the drama away!

Experienced TGC Member
    all this to replace a heater core too... lol
    -Chris

wow when i did i just cut the air bag cover straps off...... hmmm i think i should sew those back on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    You don't need to remove your dash to replace your center speaker...
    how do you remove the center in-dash speaker without removing the whole dash? or better what's an easy way to uplug it and cap the wires?

Quote Originally Posted by antisma01 View Post
    how do you remove the center in-dash speaker without removing the whole dash? or better what's an easy way to uplug it and cap the wires?
    Using your hands (or the tape-covered screwdriver) pry up on the grill and then using the same tool (preferably the screwdriver this time) pry up on the center speaker, it'll pop out. Then push on the underside of the connector where the release tab is and pull out the connector, and there you have it, no need to cap the wires, the connector will be fine. Hope this helps!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Sorry for reviving, but holy crap this is exactly what I wanted to do and dip it, I have to paint my arm rest though because since I dipped it, the dip is rubbing off really badly from me and passengers
    Bought from crzygtz,deeznutz, dominicano, finald8ta, Galantman03, G-Spot, Isaurio, jonk8123, M-Rod, and specter6633

Dont' keep it stock, turn heads on the block

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4 cyl "Storm"

I know this thread is old, but how long did it take you to remove the dash? My dash is severely cracked and i need to replace it. No shop i know will replace it for me so i guess i have to do it myself. How ling will it take?

I removed the whole dash out of parts car cause mine was cracked. It only took couple of hours. Just keep in mind when you take it out the VIN number plate is attached to it.
    A man has an idea. The idea attracts others, like minded. The idea expands. The idea becomes the institution.

A good idea seen locally. He melted plastic in the cracks (plastic welding) lol
    Then he rapped it with fabric to cover the blemish

Looks like the pictures are dead links... here is all that I have left...

http://www.dnaelite.com/gallery/batch/dash/

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
    Looks like the pictures are dead links... here is all that I have left...

http://www.dnaelite.com/gallery/batch/dash/
    U r still around?? I can't remember the last time I saw you post.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R