The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo question for you gurus

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Experienced TGC Member

Turbo question for you gurus

So... In my quest of doing my turbo build ive come into a bind. I dont have room for intake piping on my setup. My question is will it hurt to install a filter directly at the turbo? Its a 16g turbo, i have the upper portion of the heat shield for the exhaust, i have a 27x7x2.5 FMIC and ill be running the GM maf setup so there isnt any need for the maf to connect to an intake. Im at a loss and it seems that my only option is ordering a K&N filter from their web site. I have like 4 inches of room to work with. If anyone needs pics to help with your suggestions ill get some tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
    Johnas

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    if ur running a MAFT setup then u can put a filter directly on the turbo intlet
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Experienced TGC Member
    My only dilemma is that i read where the heat will effect it. I think its BS though because the intercooler is supposed to do its job PLUS the J-Pipe is in the line of heat along with the compressor side of the turbo... IDK... No offense but i want more opinions. Though im leaning on the it doesnt matter side... Thanks dude!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    As long as it is a quality filter, you shouldnt have issues. I know John runs a filter directly on the turbo and a lot of DSM people do the same. I wouldn't think the heat would be significantly different from a stock maf setup.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    As long as it is a quality filter, you shouldnt have issues. I know John runs a filter directly on the turbo and a lot of DSM people do the same. I wouldn't think the heat would be significantly different from a stock maf setup.
    Lol to tell the truth, I haven't run a filter at all in 2 or 3 years.

Just open turbo. Turbo still looks and performs perfect.

I imagine if I took to the time to make an intake for it though I would see better performance and mileage. Especially in traffic where airflow under the hood is minimal

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i have seen members run with no problems. laxin warrior used to run just a mesh screen over the turbo. as long as you dont need the MAS, and have the translator your fine

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Lol to tell the truth, I haven't run a filter at all in 2 or 3 years.

Just open turbo. Turbo still looks and performs perfect.
    wow, brave!

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    wow, brave!
    I'm not recommending it. Lol something tells me that if I pull the pipe off my intercooler inlet there is going to be a rat's nest of grass clippings and insects.

My compressor wheel is still pretty though. Even with the compressor housing off.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I ran w/o filter for good 4 months before i put the intake pipe. The lower rad hose is like 1mm away from the intake pipe
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    I think i can get the 2g radiator hose to fit. I have a spare from my gfs car and with a little nip and tuck it will work. Of coarse im going to get a brand new one because there is an obvious reason it wasnt put back on her car. LOL. Anyways. Im going with a 5x4x2 1/4 filter from K&N. I talked to the lady and she said it will flow over 400 CFM and thats a good bit. Im running the small 16g so i dont think it will be a problem.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i wouldn't be that scared if you're only reason to fear is the ambient heat; there's still a lot of pipe for all that air to travel, and the fmic should pull it's weight
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd