The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RPW Headers - You should read this

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

RPW Headers - You should read this

I posted a question on club3g about my dyno results after installing the AFC on my car. David Thomas of RPW responded, and I thought y'all might find his numbers interesting. These are SAE corrected numbers and converted to HP from kW. Pretty interesting for those of you thinking about bolting on performance.

Chip
    The USA model V6 cars are very similiar to our australian cars were we found the same situation (Ours being equiv to fed spec). To give an example a 3.5 V6 engine produced standard around 145hp at the front wheels (Manuel). Now with our RPW headers, 70mm TB, K&N Rampod cold air induction, exhaust and FPR with a unichip piggy back computer we increased front wheel horsepower to 160hp. A total of 15hp on the same car.

The point I am makign is that

(A) The days of bolting on a component on a modern day car and finding 30hp is long gone and anyone who says they can especially with a set of headers is to be honest lying. (I could think of worse words).
    ( Progressive gains improve torque and power and produce more usable power but unfortunaly without doing cams, higher compresison pistons and heavy breathing you are not going to get massive gains.

I think that is the reality of not just your V6 engines in the USA but in general in the Mitubishi and other brands.

P.S Those figures show how different dyon's give different figures. I don't think anyone would argue with me that a 3.5 V6 would be putting out less horsepower than a 3.0 V6 especially one worked like that.

As someone stated - the only reality is the dyno reading before and after the modification on the same car as no two cars or dyno's are going to give the same results.

David Thomas
    www.rpw.com.au
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Take note that his is a FED spec..........The gains are higher for CALI spec cars......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

BlankMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Take note that his is a FED spec..........The gains are higher for CALI spec cars......</div>

With the additions he lists and the minimal 15WHP - additional gains on the Cali won't be significant. +2, +3 more? Based on the linear reasoning Dave used, anyway

J

Hmm 2 or 3 hp gain is alot..........Imagine two more HORSES pulling on your car sort to speak.......It can determine a win/loss situation in dragging...
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

tim888tim
    This is an article from Club3g that might add some more enlightenment. http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.ph...&threadid=86360 Someone got a group of 3Gs together and dynoed them. It seems that a fed spec car dynos better than a cal spec that has been modded pretty heavily.

After having seen some picts somewhere of both the fed and cal spec headers, it is no wonder that some people have seen significant gains with new headers and others have seen little or no gains at all.

BlankMan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hmm 2 or 3 hp gain is alot..........Imagine two more HORSES pulling on your car sort to speak.......It can determine a win/loss situation in dragging... </div>

hehe - horsepower is a relative term now and though it's origins come from our four-legged friends, the reference now is wholly mathematical - the actual equasion I forget at the moment... But it's by no means like having 140-160 horse pulling your car - think about it, if it was, your top speed would still be, what, 40mph?

J

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    hehe - horsepower is a relative term now and though it's origins come from our four-legged friends, the reference now is wholly mathematical - the actual equasion I forget at the moment... Â* But it's by no means like having 140-160 horse pulling your car - think about it, if it was, your top speed would still be, what, 40mph?

J</div>

You underestimate the power of horses my friend...140-160 horses would pull your car quite a bit faster than 40 mph if it's an excellent breed of horsies. Top speed of a car pulled by horses is determined by the team of horse top speed. As for the equation it's something about lifting 500 pounds 1 foot up...I kinda forget myself. Regarding the Cali vs Fed spec numbers though it's odd -- only the horsepower is lower than the Fed. Their torque numbers are almost the same. Seems for marketing purposes Mitsubishi took the cheap way out and just estimated the power loss due to the pre-cats and what other differences might be between the cars by using some fancy math instead of testing. We could pull a Club Cobra move and sue Triple Diamond for false advertising if we could just hook up a crank dyno and prove it...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

TWISTED II
    i aint a horse expert, but if i ever saw a heard of "500 horse" running at like, 200 mph, i think i would die.

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThaTwistedGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>i aint a horse expert, but if i ever saw a heard of "500 horse" Â*running at like, 200 mph, i think i would die. </div>

Well, it would certainly dethrone the cheetah as the fastest land animal alive
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThaTwistedGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>i aint a horse expert, but if i ever saw a heard of "500 horse" Â*running at like, 200 mph, i think i would die. </div>

HAHAHa, If i ever see that shit, i will have to stop smoking, thats for damn sure..lol
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.