The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ipod connection on deck w/o aux mode/function

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

ipod connection on deck w/o aux mode/function

title says it all. Can any of you install guys give me any insight?

rf transmitter is what I'm using right now until I install my new hu.
    Just pick a low fm station and it plays pretty good, there might be some static depending where ya drive.
    02 Galant GTZ stock
    00 S10 Bagged on 20's Suicide Doors 5 link and control arms, more to come!

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by kingscratchie View Post
    rf transmitter is what I'm using right now until I install my new hu.
    Just pick a low fm station and it plays pretty good, there might be some static depending where ya drive.
    I got a hard wired FM transmitter and it works mostly. Volume is much lower than with CD or even FM radio stations. And you got hiss on songs that have more treble. Bass heavy songs like rap and whatnot, you won't really notice the hiss.

May be a dumb question but...why not change the radio?

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
    May be a dumb question but...why not change the radio?
    I'm buying a radio in the next month or so. 9Gs are annoying because you have to buy an aftermarket center console piece in order to install an aftermarket radio. I wanted to keep the OEM look so I went w/ the FM transmitter but it's not up to par (for me). I gotta bite the bullet and go aftermarket radio

Quote Originally Posted by rocgalant View Post
    I'm buying a radio in the next month or so. 9Gs are annoying because you have to buy an aftermarket center console piece in order to install an aftermarket radio. I wanted to keep the OEM look so I went w/ the FM transmitter but it's not up to par (for me). I gotta bite the bullet and go aftermarket radio
    The parts are pretty cheap, and the aftermarket radio will give you a lot more versatility.
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
    The parts are pretty cheap, and the aftermarket radio will give you a lot more versatility.
    Yeah I saw the Metra 90-7012 dash kit for around $25. So I'll get that. I'm spinning my wheels trying to figure out which head unit I want though. May settle for JVC in the $250-$300 range. They provide really good value for the money I think.

there are units now that interface with most cd-changer control equipped headunits. idk if the 9g radio has a port for cd changer controls though. You can find them on ebay.

there are also guys on ebay that actually hardwire in a 3.5mm jack into your factory headunit. Again, idk if they do/would for the 9g radio.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    What year is your 9G? IDK if this will help you but I did find this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...fAudioQ5fVideo

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMONEYDAY View Post
    What year is your 9G? IDK if this will help you but I did find this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...fAudioQ5fVideo
    Thanks. I saw that last year when I was doing my due diligence. The smarties at Mitsu did not keep the AUX mode on the radio for my '09 9G so I couldn't use that. The only OEM type alternative is to pay around $200 for the ipod kit. I believe the '08s are like that too.

I was pretty upset that I couldn't just use that AUX cable. Would make life much easier

TGC Regular
    Oh ok. Have you ever considered the Harman/Kardon ipod kit? My boy has one in his wife's Pathfinder. He says it works pretty good.

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMONEYDAY View Post
    Oh ok. Have you ever considered the Harman/Kardon ipod kit? My boy has one in his wife's Pathfinder. He says it works pretty good.
    That did look really good except that it's exceptionally difficult to install (according user reviews and crutchfield) and it's still just an FM modulator/transmitter device. Wouldn't really be an upgrade from my current setup. But thanks for the idea.

TGC Regular
    Ok, just throwing a few suggestions out there. But like I mentioned above, my boy put one in his wife's Pathfinder himself. Didn't say it was too hard.

rocgalant
    Yeah no doubt. I'm probably picking up a head unit in about a week. I'm just looking at units with detachable faceplate, DVD, and Bluetooth. Plus a HU will give me some real EQ control, which I hope will improve my sound.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    there are units now that interface with most cd-changer control equipped headunits. idk if the 9g radio has a port for cd changer controls though. You can find them on ebay.

there are also guys on ebay that actually hardwire in a 3.5mm jack into your factory headunit. Again, idk if they do/would for the 9g radio.
    My deck has that interface but doesn't have an aux setting. Would the deck recognize the ipod as a changer and play it without an aux function?

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by AVERAGE View Post
    My deck has that interface but doesn't have an aux setting. Would the deck recognize the ipod as a changer and play it without an aux function?
    No sir. The radio has to have the AUX function (you hold the CD button. It should show AUX on the display if you have the function). The other option is to get an FM transmitter (wired= more work but better sound quality, wireless= super easy, sound stinks) if you want to keep the factory radio and center console.

hold the "CD" button for like 6 seconds and it changes to aux on the stock radio

Fm MOd, Harmon kardon unit, alpine has one too. If you have the port yes, it will recognize it as a changer and play. Probably wont have full control over it or text on the display, but it'll work