The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1996 Alternator Belt. Need help changing.

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

1996 Alternator Belt. Need help changing.

Hey guys. I've done a ton of searching and reading but can't figure out what bolt(s) I need to loosen to move the alternator in towards the center so I can put a new belt on. Mine broke off the other day. There is one really long bolt that threads through a piece that then bolts into the alternator. Do I loosen both these bolts? Should the alternator then be able to slide along the mounting braket? I've loosened them both and the alt won't budge. Not sure what else to do. Can I get some help?

you got to take out the two screw not that long one but the one before that

Okay, I finally got it figured out and changed the belt successfully. Thanks big to this thread: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...lternator+belt

I know that's for 8G but if you just follow Step 4 it will work for the 7G alternator belt. The step that I was missing was loosening the bolt at the bottom of the alternator. Once this bolt is loosened it allowed the alternator to pivot up and in.

1. Loosen the bolt at the bottom of the alternator. Standing at the front of the car looking down at the alternator it threads in from the left, near the bottom of the dipstick tube.

2. Slightly loosen the bolt that goes through the block, the bracket, and into the alternator.

3. Loosen the long bolt a bit. Loosen it out a quarter inch or so. Then loosen the other bolt some more until you can lift up and in on the alternator and that long bolt will lift out of the bracket (The end of the bracket is a "U" shape so it will lift up and out).

4. Put the belt on. This is tricky and really helps if you can get under the car a bit, but with some patience it'll work. Something like a long screwdriver will help if the belt gets wedged in between anything.

5. Do it all in reverse. When pushing the alternator back down it helps to have someone push down on the alternator and someone else to push the long bolt down into the U of the bracket.