The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: High pitched squeal - timing belt?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

High pitched squeal - timing belt?

For about a year or so, my G has been making a really high-pitched squeal. We thought it was the timing belt, but to be safe, we just went ahead and replaced all belts.

The problem still persisted. So we began tightening the timing belt. There's still a noise, it just isn't as frequent or as long in duration.

I've noticed two things.
    1. It seems to be a lot worse in cold/rainy weather.
    2. If i turn the heat/ac/defroster on, start toying with my windows, etc, it worsens.

Here are two videos of the noise:

hood closed:
    http://img40.imageshack.us/i/cimg1266.mp4/

hood open:
    http://img109.imageshack.us/i/cimg1267.mp4/
    (also a weird ticking noise when i kill the engine at the end?)

Any ideas as to what exactly is causing the noise? Is it the timing belt like I originally assumed? Any help appreciated!

1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Might be the accessory belt which goes along with the Alternator / AC, alternator and battery may be going as well. My noise is different but the symptoms are quite similar.

Replacing the timing belt is a smart move especially if you were still on the original one. Just from that video alone, I must ask, have the spark plugs / ignition wires ever been replaced?

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Silver_8G
    Sounds like the sound you get when the belts are wet. Try some belt dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    Might be the accessory belt which goes along with the Alternator / AC, alternator and battery may be going as well. My noise is different but the symptoms are quite similar.
    I'll check those, thanks!

Replacing the timing belt is a smart move especially if you were still on the original one. Just from that video alone, I must ask, have the spark plugs / ignition wires ever been replaced?
    Honestly, I have no idea. We got the car in 2005, and some maintenance was performed, but I was too young at that point to know what any of it was, or care. I don't know too much about cars, is there anything I should look for in either of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_8G View Post
    Sounds like the sound you get when the belts are wet. Try some belt dressing.
    Good tip, thanks!
    Last edited by uzegonemad; 02-24-2010 at 08:35 PM

i had this problem when i replaced my alternator belt with one from autozone (yes, crappy duralast).. i got sick of the squealing and decided to get an OEM one online.. problem solved.. hope this helps

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    dude i have the EXACT same problem, the same symptoms too except my sound is a little bit different. i replaced all my drive belts with brand new OEM and it still persists....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I had this same problem on my last Galant... if you turn on your high beams and raise all your windows at the same time and it squeals... your battery might be drained, and it's possible your alternator is being overworked... either way, first two things I'd check are the battery, and tighten your alternator belt, hopefully a pretty simple fix.

'03 Galant LS V6

there is also the possibility that the belt tensioner needs to be replaced

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Could be your alternator, a/c, or power steering pump pulleys are out of round(bearing bad). Take off the belts and spin/wiggle both pulleys and see if either has any play. Also, could be your harmonic balancer is shot.

If you replaced the belts, and they are tensioned properly, and you still have the same squeal from the belts, it is probably one of the above.

Also, these are not your timing belts, your timing belt should never squeak. These are just the accessory belts(power steering/alternator/ac).
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    how are the pulleys even though you changed all the belts the pulleys can be going bad.... had that prob. on my maxima

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    i replaced all my drive belts with brand new OEM and it still persists....
    tighten the belts a little bit at a time, alternating which belt you're tightening, until the squeal is gone. don't overtighten, though.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varroa View Post
    tighten the belts a little bit at a time, alternating which belt you're tightening, until the squeal is gone. don't overtighten, though.
    that's the thing, i think they're overtightened, they're pretty rock hard man
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2000Galant View Post
    how are the pulleys even though you changed all the belts the pulleys can be going bad.... had that prob. on my maxima
    That's what I'm thinking now. My serpentine belt shredded itself the other day (driving to work and all of a sudden, BOOM, no power steering. fail.), and after i replaced it, the noise subsided for a day or two.. then it rained. I have a feeling it's a bearing, I think i'm just gonna have all the pulleys rebuilt at this point. If that solves the problem, I'll definitely let all of you know.

@peanotation - as for overtightening, i just tightened it until the belt was taunt, and i periodically tighten it due to the belt slowly stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by amdrocks View Post
    i had this problem when i replaced my alternator belt with one from autozone (yes, crappy duralast).. i got sick of the squealing and decided to get an OEM one online.. problem solved.. hope this helps
    Yep, same thing I did. But my belt is less than 5k old and it's starting to show some wear. Does that mean it's to tight?(Still squealing like a banshee, though)

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uzegonemad View Post
    For about a year or so, my G has been making a really high-pitched squeal. We thought it was the timing belt, but to be safe, we just went ahead and replaced all belts.

The problem still persisted. So we began tightening the timing belt. There's still a noise, it just isn't as frequent or as long in duration.

I've noticed two things.
    1. It seems to be a lot worse in cold/rainy weather.
    2. If i turn the heat/ac/defroster on, start toying with my windows, etc, it worsens.
    Replace the tensioner pulley & u should be fine i had this same problem either that or make sure the P/S belt is tight
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT