The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How do you change a speed sensor on a '99 Galant?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Icon5 How do you change a speed sensor on a '99 Galant?

Code reader tells me my "Anti-Lock" dash lite is on because I need a right rear speed sensor. Is there info,instructions or a diagram that explains the proper way of attempting this? ...Appreciate any help. Thanks
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    There is the hard way where you remove the wheel and work around the rotors. When you look behind you will see a thick wire and then it connect to the back. since this piece if plastic and it in there good since my car was from NYC you woudl see why it stuck in there good. It broke off for me on both side so this is where the fun began for me. You can't drill out the center as it is a magnets so you have to drill around it so I made several holes with a bit, make that a few bits because I broke a few. I drilled holes around the core so that I can wiggle out the core (there two magnet) and then kept on taking shit out until it was clear. I used a sanding dremel head to make sure it was cleaned out as well before putting in the new sensor.

Now when putting it back in I would use from type of lubricant on the side to make it go in easier, I did the mistake of get it in and had to use a rubber mallet to get it in but the bolt did not line up with the sensor so right now it is being held in by friction.

Now if you got the right tool to remove the rotors, and all that stuff it would make it easier but then you have to do all that removing.

The dealer wanted to charge me 500 dollars in labor to change the 2 front one when the parts alone are only worth 130 bucks together. and it took me about 3 hours one side since I did not know what I was doing and about 2 hour the other side doing it my way.
    Last edited by Dominicano; 02-26-2010 at 10:16 AM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    yeah those things tend to get stuck in there pretty damn good. I would spray alot of PB blaster or WD40 around it and do it a few times over the course of a few days then try taking it out. If it breaks while your trying to take it out, do like rich said above.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    ...the parts alone are only worth 130 bucks together....
    Where did you buy your sensors? Do you still have the part number?
    I've been searching online stores for "mitsubishi abs sensor" but always came out empty.

Thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    mitsubishiparts.com

subsection front suspension

subsection brakes

then abs sensors
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SleekGTZ View Post
    Where did you buy your sensors? Do you still have the part number?
    I've been searching online stores for "mitsubishi abs sensor" but always came out empty.

Thanks
    Since I didnt have a correct code reader for Mitsubishi ABS's,I took it to an import mechanic I used B4.He didnt charge me.He thought he could order one,but told me instead to get it from the dealer.3 days,& $60 later,I got it. The RR sensor Part# is MR475234. -Havent tried getting to it yet,but I was told in the meantime,the sensor may just be dirty. But after hearing the crap you guys say I have to do just to get it off,sounds like a new one is required.Too bad I didnt know this before,because I just did all 4 rotors and pads last week! Got them from the vendor here that had "group buy" prices.
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    thats not the right part number for the ABS speed sensor they are

FR ABS RH - MR370933
    FR ABS LH - MR370932

also getting these things dirty will not matter, its two magnets in a plastic tude seperated by cooper strand wires. it sits right in front of a sprocket and it sense the teeth and spacing to determine the speed to calculate how to apply ABS.

FR ABS RH - MR370933
    FR ABS LH - MR370932

also getting these things dirty will not matter, its two magnets in a plastic tude seperated by cooper strand wires. it sits right in front of a sprocket and it sense the teeth and spacing to determine the speed to calculate how to apply ABS.
    The dealer ordered the RR sensor,so I'd hope they know what to order! :-(

FR ABS RH - MR370933
    FR ABS LH - MR370932

I know this is older post however, experiencing similar issues with TC / ABS light comming on. Part #'s MR370933 & MR370932, show up as for 2005;
    http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/pa...&siteid=214331
    Here is part diagram;
    http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/pa...agramCallOut=9