The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Seeking Custom Wheels Advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

Seeking Custom Wheels Advice

I currently have a 00 Galant with 16'' stocks. I want to put on some rims a buddy of mine is selling. They are 18'' rims. My homie said that the rims will not fit on my 8G cause they will rub against the car. The tire size on those rims I want to get are 245/40/r18. Advice please.......

blue8g
    yeah....those are pretty dang wide rubbing is pretty guaranteed.........my old 235's rubbed, those are about the widest you can get away with on stock body and only if your offset is just right

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Yep you are gonna rub, you'll need to cut your rear fenders, we also need the offset of the wheels to give more accurate advices. If your lowered its going to be even harder to fix, 8g stock suspension is really big, if you have coilovers its a little easier. Just give us the offset of the wheels.

4g64T 5spd

Please search there are countless threads on tires and wheels here.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    the wheels may fit depending on the size factors but without major modification and coilovers the tires wont fit...

coilovers dont have the perch and are smaller they also offer camber adjustment if you were curious why i say that

Koo, thanks for the info. I'll see about the specs of the tires. I've been a lowrider guy all my life and now that I joined this forum I really like the way my G can look. Actually, it's my wifes G. Believe it or not I traded a '69 Chevy Impala for this Galant. I don't regret it though because my wife is happy with the G. I have bought her several vehicles, i.e.: Jetta, Lumina, Toronado, and even a Navigator, just to name a few, and I have noticed that even though the G has that OG Black faded ass paint on it, she takes care of this Galant more than she ever has any other vehicle. I drive it a lot due to the fact that my truck is in the paint shop and I am amazed by the comfort and driveability of the G. Even with a 4 cyl. the G gets up and goes. I want to trick it for her so I will be posting a lot more questions like this. Again, thanks for all ya'lls advice.

Welcome to TGC.

Any general wheel fitment or tire fitment questions can be referenced here:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=18010

Enjoy your stay!

Since Im probably not going to end up getting those wheels, I can post a pic on here, If someone would care to tell me how to post pics, and maybe some other member would like to buy them. They are 18" Devino Wheels, 5-lug universal with 245/40/R18 low pro tires on them. 2 of the tires are in excellent condition but the other 2 will need to be replaced soon after getting them. They are in excellent shape. No curb munching marks on them. They came off an '05 Acura TL.

Thanks for the link and the welcome, RedGalant2K1

You can get the wheels. Then buy new tires, especially if you need to buy two soon anyways. I can get you proper sized 18s for a good priced, shipped to your door.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Upload your desired pic to Photobucket or imageshack and copy n paste the [IMG] code on your post.

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by JT00galantev View Post
    I currently have a 00 Galant with 16'' stocks. I want to put on some rims a buddy of mine is selling. They are 18'' rims. My homie said that the rims will not fit on my 8G cause they will rub against the car. The tire size on those rims I want to get are 245/40/r18. Advice please.......
    need to know more info to estimate if they will fit. need to know width, offset. the tires are probably going to be too big especially if you lower the car. the tire you want is 225/40r18.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    need to know more info to estimate if they will fit. need to know width, offset. the tires are probably going to be too big especially if you lower the car. the tire you want is 225/40r18.
    Width 7.75j Offset 45 That's the rim info Tires are 245/40/R18 The G is not lowered. It's stock. If I were to lower it, I would only lower the rear just enough to line up with the front.

Width 7.75j Offset 45 That's the rim info Tires are 245/40/R18 The G is not lowered. It's stock. If I were to lower it, I would only lower the rear just enough to line up with the front.
    245/40r18 will probably rub. if the bolt PCD is 5x114.3, the wheels will easily fit if you get the correct tire size... 225/40r18. you will not have to worry about clearance issues w/ those wheel/tire sizes even if you drop to 3". i ran the exact same sizes (18x7.5 +45mm w/ 225/40r18) for 6 years, dropped around 2" before i dropped lower and went bigger (19x8.5 +48mm w/235/35r19 on a 2.75" drop).

You dont want to lower just the rear, and the rear should be lower than the front to begin with. Unless your front struts are blown that is.

Actually, I have both front and rear sets of struts, still in their boxes, sitting in the trunk. I was told that the struts "are" out on the G and it makes a knocking sound on the front passengers side everytime I hit a pothole in the road, so I'm having them replaced. The rear sits higher than the front right now. Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the G should sit lower in the rear than in the front. I will have my homie check the bolt size. I would really like to have those custom wheels for the G.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    got any pics of your custom wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Just get'n around to look at this but if the Entire tire is an overall Diameter of over 26.8" it will most definatly rub something on a stock suspension. I have 215/55r17 an my overall dia. is 26.4" and theres no way a 1/2" bigger will fit because i cant get my hand all the way around the inside of the fender well.
    2001 Mitsubishi Galant-Totalled..=(
    1987 Cheverolet IROC-Z Camaro-TPI 350
    1989 Nissan 240sx-built SOHC-Trade for Honda
    1999 civic Hatch B20vtec- current
    Lookn for galant to build. .

Quote Originally Posted by The_fresh_Galant View Post
    Just get'n around to look at this but if the Entire tire is an overall Diameter of over 26.8" it will most definatly rub something on a stock suspension. I have 215/55r17 an my overall dia. is 26.4" and theres no way a 1/2" bigger will fit because i cant get my hand all the way around the inside of the fender well.
    your tires are too big. in order to keep the speedo accurate and avoid driveline damage, stay as close to the stock overall diameter as possible, ~25".

Yea..i found out they're too big after i ordered em..lol so now im jus gonna wear em down an go with 225/45.
    2001 Mitsubishi Galant-Totalled..=(
    1987 Cheverolet IROC-Z Camaro-TPI 350
    1989 Nissan 240sx-built SOHC-Trade for Honda
    1999 civic Hatch B20vtec- current
    Lookn for galant to build. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast