The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Performance mods for the GS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34

Performance mods for the GS

I've recently acquired a 94 Galant GS, And I've noticed on the forums that pretty much everything performance wise pertains to only the sohc 4g64. I realize there are not that many dohc 64's out there. So I'm looking to see if someone can point me in the right direction for this.

Thanks!

Proto

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    you are actually one of the lucky few...the gs is a sought after model and you have even more options overall...i suggest you check out dohc stunners ride as well as galant 306m in addition to a few others who have the dohc and see what they have done to get some ideas....your already off to a great start with that motor though...in fact a lot of 7g'ers opt to swap to the dohc motor because of the more benefits...also try checking out the dsm boards for some ideas as well since you can use basically anything performance-wise they can

Thanks for the replies Proto and Fatal, I've noticed this is a decently rare vehicle and I am glad I happened to find it. I am looking into what I can do with it. I used to own a dsm however I was under the impression this was a different animal due to the higher compression, more displacement, and of course, being n/a.

Proto
    10:1 compression!, you could boost the stock motor with the 2G setup... just not many lbs of boost.

No kidding. How would I tune a setup like that?

need to post some pics of your GS.
    5 speed?
    What color?

Suspension wise, any part that will bolt onto a 2g eclipse you can install on your GS with zero modification.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

She isn't the most beautifull car ever, but she runs very good. Needs a few things as well, but for the most part a good find I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    need to post some pics of your GS.
    5 speed?
    What color?

Suspension wise, any part that will bolt onto a 2g eclipse you can install on your GS with zero modification.
    Thats good to know about the suspension. It is a 5 speed. Looks to be a forest green color. I think I will repaint it the same color, I like it.

Got some pictures up for you.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondragon16 View Post
    I've recently acquired a 94 Galant GS, And I've noticed on the forums that pretty much everything performance wise pertains to only the sohc 4g64. I realize there are not that many dohc 64's out there. So I'm looking to see if someone can point me in the right direction for this.
    on the contrary! the SOHC 4G64 7G motor has ZERO mods (asides from generic bolt-ons, machine work, and ricer upgrades). the DOHC head alone gives you a few options.... since the DOHC motor and head moves more air it responds more to bolt-ons. honestly, with my SOHC, i never really felt a difference from anything, besides the nitrous and turbo ;)
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    on the contrary! the SOHC 4G64 7G motor has ZERO mods (asides from generic bolt-ons, machine work, and ricer upgrades). the DOHC head alone gives you a few options.... since the DOHC motor and head moves more air it responds more to bolt-ons. honestly, with my SOHC, i never really felt a difference from anything, besides the nitrous and turbo ;)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. I've seen and read many things on upgrading the sohc 64.

I would tend to agree with you about the mods not giving much, however the stock air box design really seems to be choking out the motor. especially the dohc. however not having owned a sohc 64, I wouldn't know.

I don't really like nitrous, but I am looking for a fun daily driver.

Thanks for the info!

well with the dohc head you have tons of cam gears, cams, intake manifolds, valves, valvesprings, retainers, multiple headswap options, several ignition options, knock dependant timing advance(your engine requires premium and an ecu reset to make the big power), and even multiple valve cover options and spark plug galley cover options.

All in all its a much better world you are living in, and it starts with higher compression. :)

you can get a MAS adapter and cone filter for under $20 on ebay. Just make sure you get the 4" filter for shortram. There are several tutorials on how to make your own custom intake for your 7g. you can get the stock exhaust manifold off the 95-99 eclipse spyder(non-turbo) and its a 4-1 header. unlike the 4-3-1(yeah.....) manifold you have now.
    Any 2g exhaust kit will bolt right up to yoru car, you'll just have to have an exhaust shop add a short extension near the rear axle.
    I recommend this kit:
    http://www.vrsexhaust.com/VRS_CAT-BA...ubishi_cb.html
    the 95-99 2.5" aluminized kit(unless you live up north, then i'd get the stainless)

^the pic is of the awd turboback but you get the idea, beautiful mandrel bends and quality welds.

OR....
    you can get this kit
    http://www.vrsexhaust.com/TUBING_KIT...ubishi_tk.html
    2.5" aluminized piping kit
    and choose your own muffler off ebay, and of course have an exhaust shop weld it all up.

Thats what I did. I got a 3" aluminuzed kit and had it all welded up for 50$

I mean if you think about it you'll have to get the catback modified anyways, why not save money up front and have someone else do the welding perfectly for your car.
    the nice wall thickness and smooth mandrel bends of the VRS exhaust make it a smooth sounding one. Couple that with a decent muffler and you'll have a nice relatively quiet exhaust.

Intake exhaust, header mod, fresh plugs and wires, motor mount inserts(20$), shifter base bushings(15$), skate board bearings for your shift cables under the hood, an ebay b&m replica shortshifter, springs, shocks, and a nice stereo and you 'll have one blast of a daily driver.
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 03-04-2010 at 03:52 PM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

everything dohcstunr said ^

Quote Originally Posted by diamondragon16 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. I've seen and read many things on upgrading the sohc 64.

I would tend to agree with you about the mods not giving much, however the stock air box design really seems to be choking out the motor. especially the dohc. however not having owned a sohc 64, I wouldn't know.

I don't really like nitrous, but I am looking for a fun daily driver.

Thanks for the info!
    you're reading about it a lot cause 98% of the 7G owners here have the SOHC. but at the end of the day, there's really not a whole lot you can do with the SOHC. again, besides generic and universal mods. all the mods for the SOHC don't really do that much. for instance, you can bolt on aftermarket headers that flow better to a SOHC, but it's negligible. for the DOHC you will see much, much bigger gains in proportion. and yea the airbox is a huge bottleneck, the opening on that thing is pathetic.

just by having the GS you're already worlds beyond the SOHC 7G. i know you can't compare, but it already is that fun daily driver that you want.
    Last edited by peanotation; 03-04-2010 at 05:14 PM

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Thank you all for that information.

By the way DOHCstunr and peanotation

Your cars look incredible as seen on your signatures, btw

I got a maf adapter if you want it! Pm me your shipping info, also got a ton of crap if you need anything, like tokico lowering springs on tokico struts that have about 2 months of use on them ( could use some new mounts since i used my old ones.)

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Is 3" a little much for an N/A 2.4? I'd think you would loose too much back pressure and actually decrease power but that is an assumption.

Best bang for your buck would probably be a used 14b turbo running a few psi of boost with a 2g manifold, 450 injectors and a piggyback tuning device like an SAFC. You could probably get all that for a $200-300 if you go with an SAFC 1. Then a 3" exhaust would make sense. I haven't messed with the 7G ecu though so I'm not sure how it will handle boost. DOHCStunr and a few others can fill in that gap.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I'm not 100% I would want a 3 inch exhaust period. I had a friend with a 3 inch on his talon, it was horribly loud. And he did a really good job with it. This car has to hold my 8 month old son. It can sound fun, but it can't be too loud.

I've been looking into the turbo option, it looks like a really fun idea. If I could get away with the simple manifold, 14b, bigger injectors and a piggyback on a few psi. Then I believe that would make for a really nice drive around with some power when I may actually want it. It's also a conversation piece with just about anyone.

Galant306m, I will send you a pm. I greatly appreciate the offer.

i have 3" exhaust, it was made when i was turbocharged. now that i'm N/A and never going turbo again the 3" is horrible overkill. do not get 3" unless you're certain you'll be running a turbo the majority of the car's life.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I agree the 7g can be a fun car to mod especially since you have a dohc 4g64 gs.... I would look into the turbo setup. You can piece together a nice package between eBay and junk yards/used parts... Good luck on your mods..
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Depending on the production date, you may have an Eprom ECU. You can socketed the ecu and add a burned chip in it's place OR use a rom emulator with TunerPro R/T. You can add the rare RVR or Evo 3 IM

Run the 96-99 Spyder GS header, ditch the airbox, add 272/264 cams, do a head swap like I did more compression...list goes on.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast