The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Performance mods for the GS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 34 of 34
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    is the 96-99 spyder GS header a 4-1 runner setup?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    is the 96-99 spyder GS header a 4-1 runner setup?
    yes

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    the header on my 96 is also 4-1 and my 95 was the old like 3 then 1 by itself down to the collector lol is that the type the GS had stock in 94?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the header i got off the 96galant motor i bought is 4-1 and that's what i'm using for my GS head swap
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

96-99 Spyder GS, Euro 4G63
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    wow that 94 4G64 header is possibly the worst design I have ever seen.. hahah

Did they use the same header on the GS as well?

What, if any, performance increase would come out of the later header or the spyder header?

Thanks!

Also, is it considered politically correct for me to use dryer ducting like I see in that picture from dsmworld.net.

I just don't see that increasing my power much.

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    wow that 94 4G64 header is possibly the worst design I have ever seen.. hahah
    yea, I need to get rid of mines and shoot for the 96+ Spyder GS one. It's pretty much a "Fed Spec" like the 99/00 Galant and 00/01 Eclipse.

The Spyder is rated at 154HP compare to the Galant 144?HP, so the increase will be more with the DOHC head.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

I'm definately officially in the market for a better header. the design of that header makes me wonder if I couldn't gain some serious power by adding an aftermarket, or even just the 96+ spyder one.

I posted this on another forum. I'm looking for some information. Please send recomendations my way.

"I've finally cleaned the car up a bit. I'm now at the point where its time to do a clutch. The clutch slips randomly, intermittently and sometimes really bad.

Can someone help me out with the difficulty in doing this job. I have tools and a place to do the work. I've done transmissions of fwd cars before, so really I just need to know how long it might take me.

I was recommended this by someone. What do you all think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...Q5fAccessories

I am a big fan of the Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. Nice pedal feel and good grip. Amazon actually has some great prices on them. Do a search by the model number. As for difficulty... If you've got a cherry picker and a good jack it isn't too bad. If you just have jacks it is worse. Do yourself a favor and check your rear main seal for leaks while you're in there. It is also really nice to have fresh slave/master cylinders and a speed bleeder for the slave.

Time wise, on AWD cars I can pull and reinstall a transmission in a day. Give yourself two though just in case. Oh and popping the passenger axle out is a bitch. I've yet to find a really nice way to do it in a Galant. You just can't get in there with much of anything to pop it loose and it takes some serious leverage to do it.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 03-12-2010 at 11:43 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    I am a big fan of the Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. Nice pedal feel and good grip. Amazon actually has some great prices on them. Do a search by the model number. As for difficulty... If you've got a cherry picker and a good jack it isn't too bad. If you just have jacks it is worse. Do yourself a favor and check your rear main seal for leaks while you're in there. It is also really nice to have fresh slave/master cylinders and a speed bleeder for the slave.

Time wise, on AWD cars I can pull and reinstall a transmission in a day. Give yourself two though just in case. Oh and popping the passenger axle out is a bitch. I've yet to find a really nice way to do it in a Galant. You just can't get in there with much of anything to pop it loose and it takes some serious leverage to do it.
    Thank you for your response to my thread.

I looked at the centerforce clutch on amazon. It's just a bit out of my price range for something like this. I'm most likely going to have to go oem as I can't afford $370 right now for this adventure. I'm sure a clutch designed to hold the 200hp and tq of the turbo 4g63 can handle the 160hp and tq my galant puts out.

I don't have a cherry picker. And I'm under the impression I can just pop the transmission out the side somehow without having to remove the whole engine. I'll take heed with the passenger axle. I have a decent pry bar I might be able to use.

Thanks for the info again.

I can certainly understand the budget constraints, I have plenty of those myself. If you aren't planning on more than 250ish hp the stock turbo clutch should probably be fine.

The cherry picker isn't a necessity it just makes dropping/lifting the tranny and lining it up for re-installation a lot easier. Sometimes getting the input shaft of the transmission to line up with the clutch can be a hassle. IMO, having the tranny dangling from a chain so you can spin it around however you want makes that less obnoxious.

Regardless, I've pulled and reinstalled trannys on 1g dsm's without a picker and managed. I've tried renting transmission jacks but they are mostly worthless for our cars. They aren't designed to hold the shape of our M/T cases and are more hassle to mess with than I think they're worth.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I did alot of work to the car. Did a compression test which came back great. fixed the bumper so its not hanging anymore. I pulled the timing belt cover. I didn't notice any cracks or teeth missing. but I noticed there was a bit of a wobble or something like that. I took a video of it to show everyone. Let me know what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3223752...=1268679545932

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12