The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tire/Brake question

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Blog Entries

Icon5 Tire/Brake question

Hi all!

I just need a couple of answers about my tires/brakes on my 2002 Galant ES.

When I bought my Galant last week the brakes "shuddered" which caused my steering wheel to "shudder" when I mash the brakes real hard. Well my dad and husband said that it was some rusting issue from sitting on the lot to long or something(I really don't know...didn't pay that much attention). Well then when I was driving the other day my husband said he thought he saw a flat spot on one of my tires. He checked them out and said he didn't see it again but it kinda feels like there is a flat spot when I'm almost to a stop when I have to mash on the brakes hard.

I was wondering ya'll opinions on this. I'm gonna try to see about putting new tires on it this weekend since there isn't a whole lot of tread on them. I was just wandering what ya'll thought. And as I said last night in my welcome thread... I know about this much "-" about cars...not a whole lot.

TIA

Welcome to TGC!

A brake pulsation comes from excessive brake rotor runout (unevenness). It comes from wheels improperly torqued on a vehicle. Severely overheated brakes. Underspec brake rotors (easily overheated). Either way it would stand servicing.

As for the tires, well, typically a flat spot would create a 'thumping' type noise. It is possible if the tire is old and worn that it is flat spotted. It may even also be seperated (out of round). Which would cause vibration when driving, typically low speeds.

I'd venture a guess that since the car is a 02-03 and if low mileage the tires may be original, and could stand to be replaced anyways. If not, they may just be the end of the useful life anyways. I'd suggest getting a decent set, especially since you have a young one you will be putting in the car.

Fortunately, I can help with both. Either you can see me at my shop, or visit one of our shops that is closer to you. Other than that enjoy the car, they are certainly great! And Safe!

Blog Entries
    Alrighty...so what would you suggest for the brakes...lol. New Rotors? lol, I told you I know only a little about cars and that is limited to oil changes, spark plugs and wires, and I have helped change a starter before...lol.

The car has 106XXX miles on it and the tires look like crap. I'm hopin' I can get tires on it this weekend, I'm not really seeing a problem with getting that done though.

I would suggest new brake pads and new brake rotors. Putting old brake rotors on while using old brake pads won't allow for optimum braking ability of the car. At 106,000+ miles its suspected that it is at least the 2nd set of tires and are near the end of their treadlife (useful life). As such should be replaced, I can make some good suggestions to. If you are interested just PM me, and I can give you our shop addresses if you'd like.

Blog Entries
    I PMed you...just keep in mind I'm doing this on a 1 income budget....lol

yea i used to have this problem too i just changed my rotors and break pads later on i bought new tires and run great. Depending on the brand and quality of the break and rotors its relatively not too expensive but if you want best performance going to cost a little more

Blog Entries
    Just wanted to update ya'll that I put new rotors and brake pads on and it solved the problem...now when I brake it is nice and smooth w/ no pulsations at all