The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how do i check the coilpacks ??

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    ZiplokeR

how do i check the coilpacks ??

im confused by this diagram. from what i understand the i4 has two coilpacks and two secondary coils. To measure the coilpacks, apply 1.5v accross terminals 2-3, then u should measure between 8.5-11k ohms accross terminals 1-2. However, the picture of the secondary coil doesen't have the spark plug wire attached. are we supposed to remove it first?

cuz they show another test that has the sparkplug wire attached. and has a limit of 22k ohms

thanks for the help..

Icon10

you can take therm to autozone and they can check them 4 u.

ZiplokeR
    thanks for the info.. Howerver I jumped the gun. I 've checked everything except the coilpacks, so I gat a pair from ebay. Are these any good you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-D...#ht_1230wt_702

I heard those coils have a bad review, something about the melting. I could be wrong though

here:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...light=Obx+coil
    Last edited by Joshua42007; 03-19-2010 at 11:09 AM

My understanding of the diagram--

Hi,
    They are different tests. The first diagram just tests the wire resistance. Don't connect the battery, resistance (ohms) should be as specified.

Next diagram checks the embedded transistor for continuity, and is confusing. I assume the multimeter (they call it an ohmmeter) is set to measure voltage. When you have everything connected as shown, maybe you should measure 1.5 volts on the meter. If you read zero, then the transistor is blown? Not really sure. If the meter is set up to read resistance, it doesn't make sense that you'd connect a battery to the other terminals, and get a resistance reading on the meter--the meter provides it's own current from it's internal battery for this.

I am going to test my daughter's coil packs this week--her '03 has a similar problem. I am going to set the meter to read DC volts, 0-10VDC scale and connect as the diagram shows and see what the meter reads. The other two diagrams are just showing how to test the wire resistances using the meter set to measure ohms.

Thanks for posting these diagrams by the way--they answered my question about how to test the coil packs before spending $100 a pop on a hunch.