The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Newbie Modz....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 47
    Banned

Newbie Modz....

Yo wassup i just turned 15, and my mom is buying me a clean 2001 galant from this indian dude whos visa expired, anyways, its a nice car its the GTZ i think, its got some intake thingy, flomaster, and american racing rims...

So yea i found TGC and didn't know there were so many mods, anyways i have a job but it dont pay much and i was just wondering what some cheap mods were that i could do. Plus i have barely any experience with cars, but my dad could help me..... SO yeah maybe not a hard mod but i was just looking for something to save up for and spend some time on the car to make it nicer. \

Thanks Dan

Cheap
    Reliable
    Fast

pick two

forgot who mentioned that quote here but still applies. Common starters are Intake/Headers/Exhaust. The last two require working on the car in more detail. Other mods are the Manual Transmission swap, Outlander Intake Manifold Swap, turbo swap, and Head swaps.

post up pics when you can
    Enjoy the site. Don't forget to use the search feature, alot of info in the Tutorials section.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

blue8g
    i know platano had that in his sig before he was banned ^

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    When you say you want your car to be "nicer," in what sense do you mean? Looks or performance?

no offense to the new member and new driver. but it seems like the car already has a healthy start on performance mods.
    he may not agree, but i dont think the car needs to be any faster at this point.
    i'd suggest lowering it. and maybe replacing the wheels.. american racing wheels are usually pretty heavy.. and not good looking :/

but lets see some pictures so we know what we're dealing with ;)

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    The GTZ models are vary nice with its interior and the way it performes with the v6 3.0 motor....I would say the car is pretty much set.

It really depends how much you want to spend or what you really wanna do with the car. Intake is good with exhaust work on it...not just the muffler im talking headers and down to muffler. Lowering the car would be also nice and i gatta see the rims to judge them. Get some pix up...but if you wanna go alil more further with the car you got some good stuff when it comes to swapping the 6g75 motor in but hey good luck and welcome to TGC.

If need help just ask

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

I leave the car alone performance wise,since your a new driver its pretty quick from the batt. I'd start with some cheep DYI mods, which can be found in the tutorial section. Maybe add some tints, Hids, things which will benefit you driving while setting you apart from other galants.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Drop it + rims (together if possible). Good luck and sound nicer than my first car at 15!

Hey im 17 and i got my 1st car in october which is an 99' es model my first mod was my sound system...get used to driving your car before you start adding peformance parts..start with looks Rims/Tints/Sound/Bodykit

well performance wise your pretty much set from what you said it already nothing really else that is cheap that you can do atm. For looks you can clear the corners interior led conversions, tint windows, customise the grill, lower the car, change the front seats, upgrade sound system. To get ideas on what to do just read through the hundreds of pages TGC has on "Customizing your 8G" to get ideas on what to do and how to do it and how it will look.

It just doesnt get any better than that prodigy

btw don't get crazy and start racing other cars or speeding just take your time getting used to how the car handles. Don't wanna see your galant in the graveyard or you getting hurt
    Last edited by Da_Prodigy; 03-05-2010 at 10:17 PM

Banned
    Yea as far as the safe driving goes.... I would totally take on another galant if i saw one but i know its hecka stupid so i wouldnt.

As for pictures, its not my car yet... the guys visa expires in April and hes leaving on APril 1st so thats when i get it... He said the rims were $500 ea and they look better than half the rims i see on the road nowadays.

As for what i wanted to change, i was thinking like looks wise

and i live in CA so neons are illegal, but does anybody know to what extent? Like can i keep them in the inside of my car and just have them on when its parked. I would love to get a neon license pl8 and light up under the hood and the interior. But im not sure if they are illegal.....

I kinda wanna replace the dash lights, it seems like a good mod to start with, gonna hit them up with some deep blue and make the needle transparent.

He said the stereo system is already premium or something

Also, what exactly does tinting mean? like tinting the lights, windows or what? and isnt it illegal or something?

In addition, i think it would be sick to do the grille but it seems kinda hard...

Whats a body kit?
    Whats a HID?

SOZ
    FOR
    THE
    NUB
    Questions
    Last edited by 01Galant; 03-05-2010 at 11:41 PM

chill chill you don't wanna throw a bunch of tacky stuff on the car, there not bad looking cars anyways with just a drop and some nice wheels.

we wanna see pictures!

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Yeah you dont really need to go far at all to make the G's look bad ass... a good lowering kit and nice rims just do it man. The car already has a decent sporty look to it and last thing you want is a big wing...tinted lights, and other stuff thats a big nono on Galants. American Racing rims are a nono for me...get rid of those and just get Evo rims or just other ones that look good on the car. Like I said do go crazy with body kits or anything else, the car looks great the way it is...just lower it with nice rims and HID to go with.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Neons and under 18?...situation like that are kinda sound all too familiar for your age. You can do the easy way and get it right the first time without much regrets from just by listening/taking notes from what these people has to say since the majority has experience with this or you can proceed the hard way and get "a red nugget", placed on the ignore list, and get internet flamed really poorly. We had one like you not too long ago and unfortunately for him, he had to learned it the hard way. Luckily for him, he actualy got smart and did it right.....on his 3rd try

Banned
    Ok So im still left with a few questions

1) whats an HID
    2) whats a body kit
    3) how much would some evo rims cost
    4) how much would each one cost?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    Neons and under 18?...situation like that are kinda sound all too familiar for your age. You can do the easy way and get it right the first time without much regrets from just by listening/taking notes from what these people has to say since the majority has experience with this or you can proceed the hard way and get "a red nugget", placed on the ignore list, and get internet flamed really poorly. We had one like you not too long ago and unfortunately for him, he had to learned it the hard way. Luckily for him, he actualy got smart and did it right.....on his 3rd try

Gotcha ditch the neon lights idea.... too cliche ?

Banned
    The reason i want to know about all this stuff before i even have my permit is because i read somewhere on this forum that i should plan what i want to do with my car then save up for it on the way.

So i was wondering what i could do, rims seem a little bit outta my price range atm so i guess im gonna have to live with my american racing.....

Still looking for some ideas,

2 Criteria,

Somewhat Cheap
    Not Illegal

Things im looking at right now:

Grill Mod

Clearing Corners

Replacing dash lights and making the needle transparent

Really want some neon inside my car, maybe i will just get 2 blue lights and put them where you step into the car

Still looking for some more suggestions
    Last edited by 01Galant; 03-06-2010 at 01:05 AM

Banned
    Should i take off the words on the back of the car for a more clean look or is this a no no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast