The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Projector headlight retrofit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    Actually, to make the lens the same size I'll need to make a plaster mold of the lens. I'll build clay up around the edges, pour in plaster and let it set. That should give me a perfect mold of the stock lens. After that I'll pull the clay/stock lens out, drill a small hole on the edge of the mold, heat up the plexiglass, lay it over the mold and suck it down in using a shop vac. My parents have a lot of experience in making molds etc. I got the info on how to do it from them :)
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

badass.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

do it man, Id love to see that

Also, maybe you wouldnt want to do that. All aftermarket headlights do not have reflectors in the lenses, they are all plain plexiglass and thats why the light output sucks. heres a picture of stock projector headlights where the lenses do have reflectors. I even had one of these trying to make it work for the galant

God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Actually, to make the lens the same size I'll need to make a plaster mold of the lens. I'll build clay up around the edges, pour in plaster and let it set. That should give me a perfect mold of the stock lens. After that I'll pull the clay/stock lens out, drill a small hole on the edge of the mold, heat up the plexiglass, lay it over the mold and suck it down in using a shop vac. My parents have a lot of experience in making molds etc. I got the info on how to do it from them :)
    yea that's a great idea i was just thinking since lexan is so flexable you could just form around the outside and with the added shrink rate of plastic i would actually come out close enough to where you could put them in.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

I went ahead and built the second headlight and snapped some pictures.

Here is a shot of the stock headlight and the projector light output side-by-side in the car and fully assembled. The one on the left is the projector, the one on the right is stock. You can see how much more even the lighting is and how much wider it is spread out.

Here's the light output of the new headlight. It is just as bright as the first it just looks different in the photo.

Here's what it looks like all assembled.

Last edited by eclipsh; 04-21-2010 at 05:33 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

the light output looks great but its ashame the fluttering in the lens dosen't allow you to see all the hard work you put into it :(
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

That's awsome man. Good work. Can't wait to see them with a non fluted lens.

get blackhousing your headlights and gonna look better,

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12