The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bought a beater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 43

Bought a beater

I have been taking public trans for 2 months now since someone stole my Galant. I finally decided to buy a car last night. Its a 1992 Acura Vigor GS. The guy I bought it from was an Acura mechanic, and he did a lot of work on the car. So far it seems to be in pretty good shape for an 18 year old car. The funny thing is my girl friend was 6 years old when this car was built lol. This thing has a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engine. The engine bay is pretty cramped! I will continue to take the train so I wont really need this car for anything other than grocery shopping and going to church on Sundays. I'm hoping it will last me through the summer though. So far I have only driven it about 30 or 40 miles, but the one thing I have noticed is it feels quicker off the line than my v6 Galant did. The seats are pretty comfortable. I still miss my Galant though, but in the end I feel blessed to be driving again. I'm still kicking myself for selling my Lancer and my TL.

"A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

Looks clean

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Nice, I need a daily.

The guy said his wife drove it. By the looks of it they had little girls. this thing was full of little pink horse stickers, sucker sticks, hair beads, and barrettes lol. I just went out side and scrubbed the hell out of the carpet and seats. I used a leather cleaner on the seats and door panels and cleaned them up as best as I could. I need to re-wire the speakers next. Only the 2 front door speakers are hooked up right now. This thing has 8 speakers in it including 2 speakers in the headliner near the dome light. He also still had the original Acura Vigor floor mats. I ran them in the washing machine and they came out pretty good.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    they're good cars...my brother had a real nice one in all black. it was loaded with heated leather etc. it rode real nice though and very comfortable.

Nice to see its pretty clean, let me know if you need any help with it.

And the Vigors were the precursor to the TL model Acura's.

Hey Dave the guy showed me how to change those O-rings. A little more involved than I thought it would be, but I think I can do it. Thanks for your help.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    what happen to that other TL u had??

I've always liked the Vigors. Nice pick up!

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

I sold the other TL because I wasnt really driving it much. I sold it and kept the Galant to save money. The TL was sweet though. I had the Type-S and it was pretty quick. Thanks Polish.
    Last edited by UAL Tripple 7; 03-12-2010 at 10:31 PM

I finally had some time to clean the exterior and interior today after church. Got as much rust off of the rims as I could. I had to scrub the heck out of the interior. I got the seats cleaned up as much as I coud, but it is an 18 year old car lol. I will work on the engine next. I will take a picture of the air filter for you guys. Hands down it is the worst looking filter I have ever seen! It was so bad I slammed the top back down on it when I first opened it for fear of something jumping out at me. Oh yeah I decided this will be the first car I give a name to. Since its a 1992 car I named him T.R.O.Y. in honor of the classic Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth song that came out in 1992 lol.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Looks decent, I tend to like the Acura Legends more, but always thought these could look just as good if hooked up right. You're cleaning made a world of difference tho.
    I vote to tint the windows and toss on some newer, bigger OEM wheels on it.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Yeah I would love to have a Legend coupe. That that is still one of the nicest looking cars IMO. I actually just chose this because of the price to be honest with you. Any opinions on if I should Seafoam it? So far it runs pretty good, but the engine does sound a little rough. The oil was changed about 1000 miles ago. I will try to replace the air filter today and see if that makes a difference. I'm just afraid to Seafoam it because I have a feeling some of the sludge and dirt is holding things together lol.

Quote Originally Posted by UAL Tripple 7 View Post
    Yeah I would love to have a Legend coupe. That that is still one of the nicest looking cars IMO. I actually just chose this because of the price to be honest with you. Any opinions on if I should Seafoam it? So far it runs pretty good, but the engine does sound a little rough. The oil was changed about 1000 miles ago. I will try to replace the air filter today and see if that makes a difference. I'm just afraid to Seafoam it because I have a feeling some of the sludge and dirt is holding things together lol.
    I would change everything as far as fluids and spark plugs filters etc. Thats what I always used to do when I got a new car if I wasnt to sure about the history of the car and if it wasn't running straight. That way you know everything is up to date. Acura's are real senstive about everything, so make sure not to go cheap on parts an fluids. My buddy had a Legend for several years, and he learned the hard way. You cant let em sit for too long either bcz for some reason the head gasket will tend to blow, mostly on the older models if you start driving it all the time after it sitting for a long interval of time.
    Last edited by IVORY_G; 03-15-2010 at 01:20 AM
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Thats good to know about the head gasket. He said the car had been sitting for 3 weeks now due to his wife getting a new car. He said he only drove it once during that time just to start it up. I dont think I'm going to bother with the Seafoam.

Sorry for posting this here, but after 9 years of owning Galants, this is pretty much the only car fam I have lol. I checked out the Vigor forums and they are nothing like TGC. I did some more work on the car today. Fixed the drivers side door, and started stripping and re painting the rims. Here is a before and after shot of how the paint came out.

blue8g
    wheels look good, i'm assuming they're 4x100 like most hondas/acuras? or are they 4x114.3 like the prelude?

if you wanna sell it lmk..........i love these things

Thanks man. I will let you know. I might sale it at the end of summer.

Looks good, much better.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Thanks man. Blue the wheel size is 4X114.3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast