The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Does any one know how to install new springs and struts on a 98 galant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Does any one know how to install new springs and struts on a 98 galant.

I have attempted this before but failed to complete even with Chilton and Haynes manual. I have all the tools just about,including the manual spring compressor,from auto-zone. I just cant seem to pry the arm or whatever you call it in the front that is holding the strut in place at the bottom. Even after removing the nuts and bolts. I didnt want to pry something and break it or mess it up so I left it alone. I have really been wanting to change out the stuff and really dont want to pay a shope to do it unless I considerable have too,moneys tight anywyas. I would really appreciate some advice and perhaps some pics on this . Maybe someone can help me. I would like to learn if possible from an experienced person who has done this and get some advice before attempting agin. Thanks guys and gals at TGC!

welcome and its easy where you at in lousiana

Yes,Louisiana!

you got to put 2w40 on the fork right that what you talking about

Yeah I suppose that is what you call it. It has one bolt holding it and after that it looks like you have to pry it off cant be right,The pice that clamps to the lower part of the strut is the problem.

well take out all the strut bolt

I did that and it still is not letting me pull it out and i udid the nuts at the top as well. I dont know if I have to pry out the bottom part of the strut or what?

pull the fork out first then hit the the top is it the back or front

Its the front damper fork. I guess thats what its called different than a regular strut that ive seen on many othet cars.
    Its one solid tube towards the bottom with no brackets on it. I cant get it out the fork once i take the top bolts out and the bottm bolt out.Do I make any sense?

yes try to hit with hammer not hard you taking the 3 bolt right

Correct do I have to take the whole fork out or just the three on top and the one on the bottom and hit it out where it is clamped around the strut super tight and wont budge . I cant pull the spring and strut assembly out because of that .

It is called the "damper fork" thats what im having trouble with at the moment. they have one bolt at top do I have to undo the bolts at the bottom of the for also,then pull the whole assembly out. What tools do I need and do you maybe have any pictures.

take out the top bolt too wait for picture text me ill send you picture

Now I have another question. I had bought my shocks about a year ago from auto zone. They have the same part number on the box,when I took them out to look at the two front struts only they look very diffrent from each other. They are the same brand Gabreil Ultras but look different. Is that bad or does one go to the left front and one too the right front. It doesnt say that in the box or has any info on it. Should I call auto zone and find out. The only thing that I could tell is that one is made in Mexico and the other in Venaswalia.

Ist on a 1998 galant es it has no bracket on the struts for this particular car. its a straight tube cyclynder that is held in at the bottom with a fork.

Going to shop and have them done. Thanks!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    its so easy to replace this. not worth paying a shop

did you disconnect the upper balljoint? that gives you room to drop the assembly out of the car. i did all of mine by myself in less than an hr when i put the stock setup back on. both sides should also be the same as long as the little mounting mark from the strut sits in the right place.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I cant get the very low bolt on the damper fork out its on good.

after you get the bolts out of the fork, the 3 bolts at the top holding the whole assembly, and sway bar link. you don't have to take anything thing else out. just stand on the hub assembly and the arm will drop enough for you to pull it out

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I had a big problem when doin my suspension..my passenger side upper fork bolt that sits inside the rubber gromit, it bkroke free and was spinning freeley. So i had to heat that fdamn thing bang it out and get a new control arm....fastest way at the time...:/
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast