The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Newbie Questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Newbie Questions

Alright, so I'm completely new to the car modding world. I just bought a 2008 Mitsubishi Galant ES. Let's face it, the stock look isn't exactly eye-catching. I was wondering how I would go about doing several things:
    1. Get rid of the ES tail lights and trunk and fit it with the Ralliart tail lights and trunk (If that's not possible.. how would I blacken the tail lights?.. if that's even legal in Virginia :/ )
    2. Change headlights in ANY way so that my car doesn't make me look like I'm 57 (I was thinking about blackening them or putting in angel eyes.. maybe both?)
    3. Give the engine a better sound.. it has a rather pathetic sound right now (that might be my specific car though.. not sure)

Those are the main things I want to do right now. I should have probably read each post to make sure I didn't repeat a question... my bad.

Thanks for all the help!

the ra tails bolt right up... might have a wiring here or two... gonna also need a trunk lip as the tail lights flare out a lil.

the headlights can be switched to projector ones if ud like or perhaps, black out your chrome or buy some SE lights will still look like yours but instead of chrome, its more of a reflective black .

for sound, a decent muffler would do perhaps a magnaflow exhaust ...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

intake will make a big difference in sound, more so than the exhaust.
    and like krazi said, the ralliart/gts head lights are pretty nice, it looks like he has some, so do i if you want a better look at them check our pictures.

oh, and get some pictures up :)

The tail lights, as they mentioned you can just swap them out. You can get them from the dealer (expensive) or try and find some on ebay if you're lucky or off a crashed galant somewhere. But you'll need to get a lip to make them look right.

I haven't seen any kind of aftermarket headlights yet. Putting halo's in, eh, depends on how good you are at modifications. Personally I'm kind of getting tired of the halo look since the BMW's have them and pretty much all the honda civics. In my opinion some nice hyper white LED's along the bottom trim of the headlight would look nice. Like the new audi's. But that's just me.

You could also get some eyelids for the headlights, which give them a different look. Let me know if you're interested in that as I'm working on a hook up for some.

As far as sound, a nice cold air intake and an exhaust (as mentioned above me) would do wonders. If you wanted an extra little help you could get one of those tornado "fuel savers". They do a tiny bit on saving fuel, just a tiny bit, but you can hear a bit of a diff in the sound.

If you want eyelids let me know so I can add it to the deal I'm working on.

I want eyelids tr1kstance PM me with info on the deal and how to get in on it
    Patrick
    2009 Galant Ralliart Black
    http://www.pwdphotography.com

thanks for the suggestions everyone!.. i like the ralliart headlights and tail lights.. but im having trouble gettin my hands on some. ill keep looking though :)

i really like the audi led idea.. but it sounds difficult lol

how much would a good exhaust cost me? i'm in college so im a little tight on cash haha

btw krazienluv10.. i reallllllly like the grill on your car.. did u buy it or make it?

Quote Originally Posted by ajdesidevil View Post
    i really like the audi led idea.. but it sounds difficult lol

btw krazienluv10.. i reallllllly like the grill on your car.. did u buy it or make it?
    I have an Audi S6, which doesn't exactly do the same kind of LED style I was referring to, but the A4's do. It doesn't seem all that difficult. You just get a flexible light bar.

Check this out: LED light bars

Go down to the FLB30 series 30 LED light bar. You can cut them every 3 LED's without disrupting the power. Mount them between the underside of the headlight housing and the bumper. Since they don't draw much power I bet you could probably just splice into your headlight wires and run the power through there so they come on with your parking lights. Or you could always hook them up to a toggle I'm sure. Get creative man.

As far as the grille on krazienluvs car I think thats what the 04 DS model galants came with, the vertical grille. But check ebay, you can get some nice billet styles for the upper and lower, both or seperate.

Here's one for the lower grill

If I'm correct the 2008 galant has the new upper grille that they haven't made an aftermarket one for yet, if I'm wrong then the guy that is selling the grill I just gave you the link to has upper grilles too that are billet style.

hey tr1kstance whats the word on them eyelids im looking to buy some myself any info on them??? and speaking of grille's does anyone know if this one here will fit on the 07 ralliart it says 04-05 http://www.drivenbystyle.com/search_...t-grilles.html

and has anyone put the megan lowering springs on there 9g i found some cheap ones here http://www.drivenbystyle.com/search_...g-springs.html or should i go with the sprint or works springs???

Alright.. so think im gonna try the audi style lights.. ill screw around a bit and let you know how it turns out.. the grills currently on my 'things to save for' list. for right now ill stick to the lights. thanks for all the help :)

some guy on cardomain has those audi LED's on his 9g he put them on the outside of his lights it looks pretty slick i couldnt even tell that they were on the outside

do you have a link to that car's pics? i was gonna try putting them inside.. but i'd much rather do it outside.. thanxs

Quote Originally Posted by ajdesidevil View Post
    do you have a link to that car's pics? i was gonna try putting them inside.. but i'd much rather do it outside.. thanxs
    Here's the link. He stole my idea! lol... except he did it much sooner than me. Props to him.

His name on this forum is LosAngelesRider

I PM'd him to find out more information on the modification he did and what kind of lights he used and what not. We'll see what he says. You may want to PM him too.

yea here is his link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1515430 they look pretty cool but i wonder what happens when it rains

yea i was thinkin about that.. i wonder if there is anyway to waterproof it without having to put 'em inside the headlight unit. if not ill just put them inside. while im at it.. might as well paint the chrome black.. :P

are u talking bout the chrome part on the grille cuz i was gonna do the same just been slackin lol i already got the paint i think imma do it in a dull black not glossy

lol na.. i was talkin about the chrome inside the headlights.. its too shiny.. i want a more sporty look.. but your ideas not bad either. i might do that haha

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by $DMoney$ View Post
    yea here is his link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1515430 they look pretty cool but i wonder what happens when it rains
    he lives here in LA, we meet up every so often but not lately. looks SICK in person!!

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

so Emerson88 do you know if he has those LED's water proofed?

and also by chance do u knw where he got those eyelids frm?

Sorry guys, I made that post and I guess I forgot to paste the link to his page.

Quote Originally Posted by $DMoney$ View Post
    and also by chance do u knw where he got those eyelids frm?
    I got the hookup on 2 diff styles of eyelids, and those are one of them. There are a couple of you who already emailed me about them, and I'll be responding to you shortly.

The rest of you, if you want those or are curious about the other style, email me at [email protected] for info and pics.

For some reason when I send and receive messages on the forum they don't always show up right so I'd rather just use gmail... plus it's easier for me to attach the pics.

If you're interested, email me and I'll give you the details. I'm expecting the guy to email me back tomorrow or this weekend on how to contact him to purchase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast