The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing HID in OEM foglights help/input

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

Installing HID in OEM foglights help/input

I'd really like to get some fog lights that would give off a HID looking light, but when I look around on places like eBay, they all look so cheap and just not of good quality. So I had an idea and wanted some input and help.

What if I got these OEM foglights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...item3efd9205e6

Which I believe are set up for H1 bulbs. Then bought an H1 HID kit from ddm tuning. Then an H1 wiring harness such as:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H1-H7...item2557708749

Then just buy a $2-$3 toggle switch from autozone.

Do you guys think it's possible and would work? And work well?

The only possible problem I'm seeing is the way the bulb would mount to the housing of the fog light. From pictures I've been looking at, it doesn't look like an H1 HID bulb mounts the same as a normal H1 halogen.

Orrrr..... do you guys think I should just buy one of the fog light kits off eBay and spend $10-$15 for some "HID looking" bulbs and swap them out?

Thoughts? Input? Experiences please?

Much appreciated.
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 03-17-2010 at 06:53 AM

im not really liking your idea personally. Definitely if you want an hid kit, don't go with a looks like HID kit. I've been doing this for the last 2 sets of light bulbs i replaced in my car. They make the light white and a little brighter. Definitely not a look like hid tho.

I just bought the hid kit off ebay. There's some really cheap ones, then for $10 more i found some reviews for people that have had them for over 2 years. The ones i got are from option racing through ebay. They make some other good quality parts as well which is why i decided this company. I'll be getting my kit tomorrow and installing friday night. I can take pictures for you of its light output and post.

Btw, the only reason im not a big fan of your idea is because it looks like they are going to need some modifications done and why not just go with a kit with no modding? Its just a different ballast fitment. Anyway, just my 2 cents

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

I see what you're saying, but the way the foglight housings are set up, it looks like the bracket to hold the light in place is for an H1, and I'm not sure if any other bulb brackets would fit in there. Looks like maybe a 9006 size bulb bracket would fit to where you twist the little teeth into place so it holds. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    it looks like they are going to need some modifications done and why not just go with a kit with no modding? Its just a different ballast fitment. Anyway, just my 2 cents
    That's the only problem I'm running into, the bracket or whatever you wanna call it on the housing of the foglight that holds the bulb in place once you twist it, looks like its for an H1. But maybe a 9006 might work? The clearance in depth of the headlight looks like it would be ok.

I don't know how else to get a real HID system working on foglights without purchasing universal style foglights, where the mounting brackets don't look so sturdy or reliable.

Which ones did you buy exactly?

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Dude a H1 is a H1 bulb it will always fit if the foglight come for that type of bulb, My 8g is a DE so I bought OEM fogs on Ebay that are 880 bulb type and got them installed, later bought a 880 HID kit on ddm and installed it

4g64T 5spd

The only problem i ran into with my OEM fog lights, was that they were made out of plastic. I installed some 8000k Hid bulbs into my factory fog lights housing and the fog lights themselves began to melt a little and crack. Yeah, they started to melt and turn a brownish blackish color
    Last edited by Joshua42007; 03-17-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
    The only problem i ran into with my OEM fog lights, was that they were made out of plastic. My installed some 8000k Hid bulbs into my factory fog lights housing and the fog lights themselves began to melt a little and crack. Yeah, they started to melt and turn a brownish blackish color
    I think the melting thing depends in the Hid brand some bulbs run cooler than others but that just my opinion. We'll see

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
    The only problem i ran into with my OEM fog lights, was that they were made out of plastic. My installed some 8000k Hid bulbs into my factory fog lights housing and the fog lights themselves began to melt a little and crack. Yeah, they started to melt and turn a brownish blackish color
    Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    I think the melting thing depends in the Hid brand some bulbs run cooler than others but that just my opinion. We'll see
    He has a 9G so you guys talking about 8G fog light housings melting means nothing. To the OP you can use a 880 DDM Ballast with H1 DDM bulbs I believe since they are universal ballasts. All of the ddm ballasts have a 9006 plug where they get their power from then send power to the bulbs through negative and positive wires which go to different ends of the bulb. a 9006 is an upside down 880. If you bought an h1 hid set and then plugged in the 880 harness you have it would work you just need to find a way to secure it to the ballast.

There are 2 easy ways to do this without buying the h1 wiring harness. A third way it so buy an H1 kit. Take the H1 plugs and spice them into your positive and negative fog wires, this is really easy, and then just plug that into ballast and ballast to bulb.

I just took this picture for you

You can do the Third way I just described with the H1 kit and it should all work out.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-17-2010 at 10:26 AM

Ok, either I'm just not with it today and that's why I'm not getting part of what some of you are saying. Or I didn't explain it right at first. First, I have a 9g, and I have NO fog lights. Therefore I need to buy some, in this scenario I was thinking of getting OEM's, which means all I get is the housing, no harness, no bulbs, etc. Just the housing. So wouldn't that mean I would need some kind of relay wiring harness and a toggle switch to hook up foglights in general? THEN if I wanted HID, sure just plug and play with the ballasts and stuff. But... The main thing that I'm worried about is putting the HID bulb into the OEM foglight housing. Look at these 2 photos quick:

Back of housing
    Underside of housing

Now look at an H1 HID bulb:

First view
    Second view

The notches of the OEM socket to hold a halogen H1 bulb don't look like it would fit the H1 HID bulb and hold it into the housing? Is that making sense?

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Ok, either I'm just not with it today and that's why I'm not getting part of what some of you are saying. Or I didn't explain it right at first. First, I have a 9g, and I have NO fog lights. Therefore I need to buy some, in this scenario I was thinking of getting OEM's, which means all I get is the housing, no harness, no bulbs, etc. Just the housing. So wouldn't that mean I would need some kind of relay wiring harness and a toggle switch to hook up foglights in general? THEN if I wanted HID, sure just plug and play with the ballasts and stuff. But... The main thing that I'm worried about is putting the HID bulb into the OEM foglight housing. Look at these 2 photos quick:

Back of housing
    Underside of housing

Now look at an H1 HID bulb:

First view
    Second view

The notches of the OEM socket to hold a halogen H1 bulb don't look like it would fit the H1 HID bulb and hold it into the housing? Is that making sense?
    The HID bulbs are longer, but it should be able to fit for the most part. You would have to ask other 9G owners on that one. It makes more sense now why you need the harness sorry didnt know you didnt have the bulbs. If you want you could also just wire them to come on when head lights come on to save yourself some trouble. As for H1 HIDs fitting in there I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    The HID bulbs are longer, but it should be able to fit for the most part. You would have to ask other 9G owners on that one. It makes more sense now why you need the harness sorry didnt know you didnt have the bulbs. If you want you could also just wire them to come on when head lights come on to save yourself some trouble. As for H1 HIDs fitting in there I am not sure.
    That's why I was thinking maybe with the socket, some 9006 HID bulbs would fit, looks like the little twist in socket would fit. I think...

I think there is plenty of clearance from front to back of the housing to fit for HID bulbs.

Or do you guys think I should just play it safe and get some "HID looking" bulbs that give off that white with a slightly bluish tint and put them in there to save some money. I'm going more for looks at this point rather than visibility of the fog lights, as visibility will be plenty with headlights.

But also, some nice halo fog lights would look good too. Anybody got some of those that are of good quality? I don't want to be replacing them after 6 months.

Those fogs aren't H1 they take 880, 9005,9006 bulbs Go HID theres plenty of room for them, and the harness for those bulbs look like this THIS Buy OEM fogs, I personally went to someone that installed a relay and a toggle switch inside the car, here is a tut How To Wire Foglights
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 03-17-2010 at 04:41 PM

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    Those fogs aren't H1 they take 880, 9005,9006 bulbs Go HID theres plenty of room for them, and the harness for those bulbs look like this THIS Buy OEM fogs, I personally went to someone that installed a relay and a toggle switch inside the car, here is a tut How To Wire Foglights
    That's what I couldn't figure out, dealer says the bulbs are H1, and so does the bulb replacement guide. But the plugs didn't look H1. So 880, 9005, 9006 are pretty much all the same then as far as the socket that will hold it in place on the housing? That's a good deal.

The only thing is, I'd like to set up the fog lights to use a toggle switch, rather than install them to come on with my headlights. I know how to get everything else hooked up, but the plug that would normally run to connect to a toggle switch obviously wouldnt fit I think, and would have 2 wires right?

I would need a harness that I could use a toggle switch for.

Any suggestions OMEGA PHX?

yep i assumed he had an 8g galant =/ Sorry and forget anything i said lol.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Wait... I think I may get it now...

Take the plug with the blue wire on #5 in that pic below, and either cut the plug off and attach the wire that goes to the battery through the relay, to the battery plug on the toggle switch. Then take the wire attached to all the lights and junk and attach that to the terminal on the toggle switch... then run a ground wire from the toggle switch, and I got it.

Or... I can take the plug on #5 from the picture, and attach it to the plug you showed me from amazon, put the power to the power on the toggle switch, then the lights to the lights on the toggle switch.. and hook up a ground to the toggle switch.. and I'm done.... yeah?

Pretty much like hooking up regular fog lights (which I've done lots of times) except in this instance there is a plug that would normally go to the toggle switch or plug into the car, rather than a power and a cord from the lights to the toggle switch. Is this sounding right?

I don't know anything about wiring or electrical but the guy that installed mine just used speaker wire, the two 880 harnesses, a relay and the toggle switch. For the +12v the guy used the parking light wire. Its something like this, use this as reference.
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 03-17-2010 at 08:01 PM

4g64T 5spd

My projector fogs are 9006 and my stock harness is 880. I can tell you the bulbs arent the same so you have to figure that out. Also the harnesses are inverted, the 880 has clips on opposite side of the 9006 so you can break the clip and flip the 880 harness for 9006 bulbs or vice versa. I would find out what bulbs those fogs really take. But you are right the replacements call for H1 but those are not H1s

Yep my bad 880 and 9005, 9006 aren't interchangeable, that fog has to be 9006, 9005, harness is the same in all three with minor modification, I saw that harness on pepboys it was a heavy duty harness made to resist extreme temperatures and it was like $10 each but you can try and buy them from ebay. I was at pepboys and saw that the difference between 9006 and 9005 was that 9006 bulb had the tip covered on some ceramic type of material and they were 55w, 9005 didn't had the tip thingy and they are made for 65w.

Lol Im trying to find some solid info on this but everywhere it says its a H1 bulb.

EDIT: The mystery has been solved, found a drawing that explains why it doesn't look like H1 from the back but it actually is VVV

The harness is the 880, 9005,9006 but the bulb is indeed H1, so H1 HID kit and the harnesses from a automotive store.
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 03-17-2010 at 11:44 PM

4g64T 5spd

Damn... my freakin head hurts from all this. Between researching relay's to figure how they work with toggle switches... etc...

From what I've seen of what you just posted and the bulbs of an H1 HID kit from the install guide at DDM tuning... which can be seen here there's no way for an H1 to mount to the housing of our OEM fogs. Unless I can see the housing and see if another bulb's rim will fit in there like the "harness" in your picture. But I'm not willing to spend the money to get those lights and find out I can't do it. Seems it will even be a pain in the butt to get them set up with regular bulbs... I dunno.

Darnit... I give up lol... I have NO idea how to do this now.

Unless the harness is just like a 9006 and you can take it out and put a regular 9006 HID bulb in and it fits... but I don't know if it would... it's risky to pay just to find out and then find out it might not work. Wasted money...
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 03-18-2010 at 01:01 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Damn... my freakin head hurts from all this. Between researching relay's to figure how they work with toggle switches... etc...

From what I've seen of what you just posted and the bulbs of an H1 HID kit from the install guide at DDM tuning... which can be seen here there's no way for an H1 to mount to the housing of our OEM fogs. Unless I can see the housing and see if another bulb's rim will fit in there like the "harness" in your picture. But I'm not willing to spend the money to get those lights and find out I can't do it. Seems it will even be a pain in the butt to get them set up with regular bulbs... I dunno.

Darnit... I give up lol... I have NO idea how to do this now.
    Could attempt what I did I bought MDX projectors and fit them to my fog housing. I am sure you can do something similar. Then just get 9006 HIDs and 9006 harness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast