The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing HID in OEM foglights help/input

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 41
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
    The only problem i ran into with my OEM fog lights, was that they were made out of plastic. I installed some 8000k Hid bulbs into my factory fog lights housing and the fog lights themselves began to melt a little and crack. Yeah, they started to melt and turn a brownish blackish color
    this quote alone should make you scrap the OEM foglights if you wanna run HID in them. if the front lens is plastic, it will melt.

do you have fog lights right now? if not, then you are not limited to using OEM foglights since you still have to buy foglights in the first place.

the solution is to find some glass fog lights and run whatever size HID capsule that they would have taken in their halogen size.

i have 3 full sets of HID on my car and am running all through relay harnesses. it's EASY. don't complicate things.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    this quote alone should make you scrap the OEM foglights if you wanna run HID in them. if the front lens is plastic, it will melt.

do you have fog lights right now? if not, then you are not limited to using OEM foglights since you still have to buy foglights in the first place.

the solution is to find some glass fog lights and run whatever size HID capsule that they would have taken in their halogen size.

i have 3 full sets of HID on my car and am running all through relay harnesses. it's EASY. don't complicate things.
    Well, I thought of that, with the whole melting thing. But the replacement bulbs for the OEM fogs are 55watts, which I assumed would put out enough heat to make a cheap housing melt, but you may have a point.

The problem is when I look on ebay, most of the fog lights I find look so... cheap, and generic. Especially the mounting brackets. Which is one thing I liked about the OEM mounting brackets, they looked secure and sturdy and made them fit nicely.

Another thing that doesn't make much sense to me with the whole relay harness thing (and maybe you can explain this to me Reelax), is... if you look in the picture here, see the #5 plug? I assume that would be the one that would normally plug to the OEM plug to toggle the lights on or off, or in this case an aftermarket toggle switch, but the plug wouldnt match up. So... would the blue wire go to the power source prong on the toggle switch.. and the black to the light switch.. adn then run a seperate wire from the toggle switch ground to a ground source... and then be done?.. Or....?

That's the ONLY thing that confuses me with these damn relay harnesses... I get EVERYTHING else...

With normal fog lights kits without a relay harness, you would hook the power to one prong on the toggle switch.. the wire from the lights to another prong.. and the one prong to the ground... which is what makes me assume this is kind of the same thing?

Am I correct or am I missing something?

Do you have any suggestions for some good after market fog lights with metal housings and glass lenses? I would LOVE some projectors.

This issue with that is that Joshua has an 8G and OP has a 9G I know the fogs are different, but cannot comment on the quality.

I am running MDX Halogen projectors and 3000k 35w hids. I love them so OP that is something you can look into.

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Well, I thought of that, with the whole melting thing. But the replacement bulbs for the OEM fogs are 55watts, which I assumed would put out enough heat to make a cheap housing melt, but you may have a point.

The problem is when I look on ebay, most of the fog lights I find look so... cheap, and generic. Especially the mounting brackets. Which is one thing I liked about the OEM mounting brackets, they looked secure and sturdy and made them fit nicely.

Another thing that doesn't make much sense to me with the whole relay harness thing (and maybe you can explain this to me Reelax), is... if you look in the picture here, see the #5 plug? I assume that would be the one that would normally plug to the OEM plug to toggle the lights on or off, or in this case an aftermarket toggle switch, but the plug wouldnt match up. So... would the blue wire go to the power source prong on the toggle switch.. and the black to the light switch.. adn then run a seperate wire from the toggle switch ground to a ground source... and then be done?.. Or....?

That's the ONLY thing that confuses me with these damn relay harnesses... I get EVERYTHING else...

With normal fog lights kits without a relay harness, you would hook the power to one prong on the toggle switch.. the wire from the lights to another prong.. and the one prong to the ground... which is what makes me assume this is kind of the same thing?

Am I correct or am I missing something?

Do you have any suggestions for some good after market fog lights with metal housings and glass lenses? I would LOVE some projectors.

if you wire fog lights directly to a switch you will burn out the switch since fog lights will load the circuit more than most switches can handle. the relay harness does 2 things. it sends power to the fog lights directly from the battery and isolates the switch from seeing heavy loads. think of the relay as a remotely operated switch that when it sees current (switch on), it will send power from it's battery hookup directly to the fogs and cut power when that current is taken away (switch off).

so in the picture u posted,

1. goes to HID ballast for fog furthest from the battery
    2. goes to HID ballast for fog closest to the battery
    3. goes to battery positive terminal
    4. goes to battery negative or ground
    5. goes to existing fog wiring closest to the battery (trigger); blue is postive, black is negative.
    6. os the SPDT relay

if any of the connectors don't match what you have, you can cut them off and replace w/ a connector that matches what you have.

the relay harness only needs to get triggered from 1 set of fog light wires (tape off the second).

if you do not have existing wiring, then on plug number 5, black goes to ground and blue goes to a switch that will interrupt a positive wire, preferably one that is only "hot" when your low beams are on so that you can only turn on the fogs when the headlights are on.

5. goes to existing fog wiring closest to the battery (trigger); blue is postive, black is negative.

if any of the connectors don't match what you have, you can cut them off and replace w/ a connector that matches what you have.

the relay harness only needs to get triggered from 1 set of fog light wires (tape off the second).

if you do not have existing wiring, then on plug number 5, black goes to ground and blue goes to a switch that will interrupt a positive wire, preferably one that is only "hot" when your low beams are on so that you can only turn on the fogs when the headlights are on.
    Well, I have no existing wiring for fogs, because the car has no fog lights. I'd like the fog lights to be able to run independently. Meaning if I wanted to, I'd like to be able to turn them on without the headlights or even parking lights being on. Or AT LEAST to have fogs on only when parking lights are on and not lo's. So... to set it up like that, where would #5 go then? What kind of switch would I use for that? I assume a normal switch like this wouldn't work... or am i wrong?
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 03-18-2010 at 09:03 AM

double check if you have existing wiring... sometimes they just have it there as it is easier to assemble the car w/ wiring/harnesses the same for all models... they just leave out the actual lights and switch.

Is that an old style HID kit you posted or is that what magnetic kits look like? I am waiting on my magnetic kit for the highs, but my lows and fogs look like the one I posted with the ballast and wires to bulb thats it they are digital so may be different.

Also if wiring isnt there and you want it to turn on when the driving lights are on you could tap those wires. I tapped them for my halos.

you also can use a simple round switch like you posted and you can probably follow this tutorial almost completely.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=31717
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-18-2010 at 11:20 AM

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

I have DDM magnetic kit and they are like the ones you posted, the other picture is from a wiring harness you buy when you want to take the power for the HID directly from the battery instead from the factory harness or in this case you don't have the wiring at all. My 01 DE didn't came prewired, don't know if thats the case of the 05 and up.

You can't a simpler explanation:
    Need wire
    Relay
    Switch
    Bulb Harness
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 03-18-2010 at 12:18 PM

4g64T 5spd

Well, I have no existing wiring for fogs, because the car has no fog lights. I'd like the fog lights to be able to run independently. Meaning if I wanted to, I'd like to be able to turn them on without the headlights or even parking lights being on. Or AT LEAST to have fogs on only when parking lights are on and not lo's. So... to set it up like that, where would #5 go then? What kind of switch would I use for that? I assume a normal switch like this wouldn't work... or am i wrong?
    that switch will work fine. wire one side of it to a positive wire that is only hot when the accessories are on, the other side goes to the blue wire from the relay harness... that way your fogs arm when you turn your car on (or turn on with switch left in the on position) then turn off when the car is turned off so you don;t drain your battery. alternatively, wire it to a positive wire from your parking lights, so when you turn on your parking lights the fog will be armed (and on if u leave the switch in that position). if you are ambitious, you could also run a wire from the switch to the harness of your gauges to light up the fog indicator bulb in your cluster.

that switch will work fine. wire one side of it to a positive wire that is only hot when the accessories are on, the other side goes to the blue wire from the relay harness... that way your fogs arm when you turn your car on (or turn on with switch left in the on position) then turn off when the car is turned off so you don;t drain your battery. alternatively, wire it to a positive wire from your parking lights, so when you turn on your parking lights the fog will be armed (and on if u leave the switch in that position). if you are ambitious, you could also run a wire from the switch to the harness of your gauges to light up the fog indicator bulb in your cluster.
    There are 3 prongs on the switch, I assume the third would be ground still. You said to wire one side of it to a positive wire that is only hot when the accessories are on. I'm not sure which accessory would be good to use for that. Then hook up the blue wire to the other (non ground) prong of the switch. But what about the black wire that goes along with the blue one that would have been on the end of the plug?

If I wired it to the positive wire for the parking lights, would those wires draw enough energy to power the foglights? I'm a little weary of drawing the power from some other accessory or lighting to power the foglights. Wouldn't it just be easier to hook up the positive wire up to draw power directly from the battery?

You guys think I'll be able to just jack the front of the car up a bit and get under there to install foglights fairly easily? Or do you think I'll have to take the bumper off? Remember it's a 9g
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 03-18-2010 at 02:36 PM

There are 3 prongs on the switch, I assume the third would be ground still. You said to wire one side of it to a positive wire that is only hot when the accessories are on. I'm not sure which accessory would be good to use for that. Then hook up the blue wire to the other (non ground) prong of the switch. But what about the black wire that goes along with the blue one that would have been on the end of the plug?
    stop assuming, it's causing you to be more confused. there are 2 main prongs on the switch you posted. those are for a wire that you will interrupt w/ the switch when it is "off" and create continuity when the switch is "on". the other prong(s) is/are for the LED in the switch itself. the black wire (#85), that is paired w/ the blue wire (#86) on the relay harness, goes to ground.

If I wired it to the positive wire for the parking lights, would those wires draw enough energy to power the foglights? I'm a little weary of drawing the power from some other accessory or lighting to power the foglights. Wouldn't it just be easier to hook up the positive wire up to draw power directly from the battery?
    you are totally missing the reason for having a relay. you are not powering the foglights drectly from the positive wire you hook up to the switch. you are actually powering the relay; the relay, once it sees current across it's coil (pins #85 and #86 on the relay), then draws power directly from the battery and sends it to the fog lights, bypassing the switch and trigger wires. this will isolate the switch and trigger wires from seeing high amps. if you hook up the positive wire from the foglight directly to the battery, your fogs will always be on, even after you turn your car off.

You guys think I'll be able to just jack the front of the car up a bit and get under there to install foglights fairly easily? Or do you think I'll have to take the bumper off? Remember it's a 9g
    no idea. i have never worked on a 9g.

Ok... I think I got it now... Kinda helps that the diagram that OP has up is showing now, didn't show before.

Let me just sum up. Take the blue wire and connect it to the prong on the switch that toggles the lights on. Run another wire from the positive prong of the switch to the hot (positive) wire of the parking lights.

And the other black wire that runs along with the blue wire I would find a ground for. Or would I hook it to the ground prong on the switch?

Am I right?

I'm pretty damn sure I get it now. I just hope the switch will be labeled which prong is which, since I can't tell from the photo.
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 03-18-2010 at 04:37 PM

Ok... I think I got it now... Kinda helps that the diagram that OP has up is showing now, didn't show before.

Let me just sum up. Take the blue wire and connect it to the prong on the switch that toggles the lights on. Run another wire from the positive prong of the switch to the hot (positive) wire of the parking lights.

And the other black wire that runs along with the blue wire I would find a ground for. Or would I hook it to the ground prong on the switch?

Am I right?

I'm pretty damn sure I get it now. I just hope the switch will be labeled which prong is which, since I can't tell from the photo.
    the black wire goes to a ground not to the switch.

Then that settles it... Now I just gotta get under there and see if there is existing wiring... pick out some fog lights... and yeah...

I'll be posting some fog light selections I'll be looking at and see what everyones input is.

Thanks again for the help everybody!

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

I'm just gonna say that I'm surprise none of the many knowledgeable 9G guys have help you with your specific needs and the only ones trying to help are Reelax, 03-Galant and I, all 8G guys.

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    I'm just gonna say that I'm surprise none of the many knowledgeable 9G guys have help you with your specific needs and the only ones trying to help are Reelax, 03-Galant and I, all 8G guys.
    Cause 8G owners rock! Hehe tr1kst4nce you should take step by step photos and post them on this thread and make another thread in the 9G how to section so that other members with similar questions can look at your experience for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Cause 8G owners rock! Hehe tr1kst4nce you should take step by step photos and post them on this thread and make another thread in the 9G how to section so that other members with similar questions can look at your experience for reference.
    I planned on doing that actually. Hopefully I do everything right from the get go so I don't have to go back and retake pictures lol.. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm shopping ebay right now for foglights... I THINK I found JUSt want I want. I'm gonna start a thread quick with my selections and get some input quick. So feel free.

By the way... to those of you that did help me out... much appreciated! Can't say I have TOO much to contribute in experience, but I do what I can.

I planned on doing that actually. Hopefully I do everything right from the get go so I don't have to go back and retake pictures lol.. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm shopping ebay right now for foglights... I THINK I found JUSt want I want. I'm gonna start a thread quick with my selections and get some input quick. So feel free.

By the way... to those of you that did help me out... much appreciated! Can't say I have TOO much to contribute in experience, but I do what I can.
    If you are looking for projectors I can give you the link to my seller where I got mine. He is a great guy with quality products and service.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    If you are looking for projectors I can give you the link to my seller where I got mine. He is a great guy with quality products and service.
    Sweet!

Hook me up so I can compare to a few of these I found. I even found a set of nice projectors with halo's equipped.

I'll be posting what I found shortly, but yes hook me up so I can compare.

Sweet!

Hook me up so I can compare to a few of these I found. I even found a set of nice projectors with halo's equipped.

I'll be posting what I found shortly, but yes hook me up so I can compare.
    He is no longer selling the ones that I got from him sadly, but here he is

http://shop.ebay.com/hidretr0deals/m...&_trksid=p3686

I am sure he will restock on MDX ones at some point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...Q5fAccessories

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast