The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Painting bezels

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Painting bezels

I've been considering painting the bezels that have the faux wood grain look. However, it seems they have a thin, clear plastic layer over them and it is peeling in several spots. How do I get that layer off? Or do I need to take it off at all? If I just sand it smooth, will it continue to peel later and ruin the paint?

just sand it down pretty well. The paint should hold up if you paint it right and clear coat it.

Experienced TGC Member
    there are 901283479018237491234 posts about this. do a damn search.
    -Chris

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Get a tray big enough so that the bezel fits in it. Get a brush and pour paint thinner in that tray. Now start brushing it and all of that will come off with ease and all that will be left is black plastic. I did this to all of my door parts, center console parts, no issues and very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver22 View Post
    there are 901283479018237491234 posts about this. do a damn search.
    I did. I didn't find what I was looking for. Maybe I searched for the wrong thing, but I tried.

Thanks for the classy response.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Get a tray big enough so that the bezel fits in it. Get a brush and pour paint thinner in that tray. Now start brushing it and all of that will come off with ease and all that will be left is black plastic. I did this to all of my door parts, center console parts, no issues and very easy.
    Perfect! Thank you!

I just finished my whole interior today. Those pieces were the worst dude. I tried putting it in a bucket of thinner and i still had a hard time. I actually took a razor blade and shaved it off and it turned out really well, even though that was a really bad idea.. it came of pretty quick. Don't get lazy though lol the paint will NOT stick to that wood grain shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepsascend View Post
    I just finished my whole interior today. Those pieces were the worst dude. I tried putting it in a bucket of thinner and i still had a hard time. I actually took a razor blade and shaved it off and it turned out really well, even though that was a really bad idea.. it came of pretty quick. Don't get lazy though lol the paint will NOT stick to that wood grain shit.
    Wow, do you have pics of your interior? I'd love to see how it turned out...

you have to be carefull and dont half ass it it will look like shit trust me i rushed my radio trim and now i need to redo it, i started to ruch the shifter but then resanded it down to the brown plastic and am startin fresh

Silver_8G
    This is the best advice ive seen on painting interior plastic. I used it to do mine in my truck turned out great. Ill be doing my 8g interior soon.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70074

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Times like this I'm glad I have the bearable fake CF trim..

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

that's really the only shot i took. They've been sitting in my garage and the black collects alot of dust so ill take more when i stop being lazy and clean them. Dont mind the seat covers either lol, theyre temporary.