The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed swap?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 74
    Lazy

5 speed swap?

I live in Queens New York and i can find the parts for a swap i found a junk yard that had the tranny but not the gear box and clutch, does any one know where i can find these parts? and a ruff estmate. thanx

Kain
    Uhh, "tranny but not the gearbox" I'm fairly sure those are the same things.

You can snag most of what you need outta an Eclipse GST or a Galant 5 speed. Ideally you'd go the route of scavenging from an existing car, since you can get all of the little parts that you'll need. But, for everything else there's junkyards. And for the clutch, Get whatever one you want for a FWD Eclipse I've heard the ACT 2100 is one of the best for all around usage.

Experienced TGC Member
    Does the 5spd eclipse tranny bolt right up or does it need some modification to atatch?
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Lazy
    Yea i found the transmission but i did not find the Gearbox, the gearbox meaning the actuall shifting stick and the housing.

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does the 5spd eclipse tranny bolt right up or does it need some modification to atatch?</div>

Bolts right up. I mean, you have to swap from a flexplate to a flywheel, put in the clutch, disconnect the A/T wiring, Cooler lines, cooler, Run the extra cable for the Manual, put in the new pedal assembly etc. but yes, it physically bolts right up to the engine. The housing is the same as the Galant 5 speed's just slightly diffrent internals. Manybrews could probably tell you the diffrences, but they're not of critical importance. I think the Eclipse gearbox is slightly shorter than the Galant tranny. =better acceleration, but lower top speed.

can i go to a tranny shop and have them do this?? will this cost as much as rebuilding the tranny or getting a new on from da mitsu dealer??
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

asalem97
    hey i live in queens too. Wheres this junkyard youre talkin about? The only ones I know of are by shea stadium but there pretty annoyin.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(asalem97)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey i live in queens too. Wheres this junkyard youre talkin about? The only ones I know of are by shea stadium but there pretty annoyin.</div>

anoying how?? I been looking for a good "rip it apart yourself" junkyard in nyc, know of any good ones?
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>can i go to a tranny shop and have them do this?? will this cost as much as rebuilding the tranny or getting a new on from da mitsu dealer?? </div>

Depends on the shop...most probably wouldn't. My shop did it twice, but for very long standing customers. (one manual to auto, one auto to manual ) A shadetree mechanic is the better bet. Cost will vary greatly depending on how thorough you want to be. Bare minimum is gonna be around $1500-$2000. Last I checked a new FWD automatic runs about $3000 from the factory not including labor. But, if you go all out in the 5 speed swap....you're talking $5k or so. But, you can get some of that back selling your old parts on ebay. especially if your old transmission still has some life in it.

i paid 350!!! for everything i needed to go 5 speed...and have 78 pics to prove it lmao
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    can i see all 78 pics? it would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try to get my gf an old vw bug convertible for graduation, then maybe she will let me have her 5spd tranny and head from her 93 laser

(crosses his fingers)
    7g for life!

nope has to be fomr a 2nd g
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

thats what i thought, 2g turbo? nt = 420a? o well...
    7g for life!

yeah a 2g turbo because the thing is a 420A...or it can be from an eclipse spyder
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    2g Turbo Eclipse got 4g63t
    2g non turbos have 420a
    Except the Spyder which got a 4g64

4g63 non turbos are in 1g's
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

exactly
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

so why wont a 1g tranny fit? both t and nt have 4g63s...
    7g for life!

i think mount locations and stuff are different...just put the two next to each other and see...thats the easiest way
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>so why wont a 1g tranny fit? both t and nt have 4g63s...</div>

I think one was a 6 bolt one was 7? I dont really know but there were differences in the block. Why does a 2g crankwalk and a 1g less likely too?
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

thrust tolerances for one..there are a few reasons
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast