The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed swap?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Showing results 61 to 74 of 74
    Experienced TGC Member
    Odly enough my gauge cluster doesnt have the PRND section in it and it is auto.

My goal in life is to not swap ecu's. If im gona swap ecus Id rather save up the cash and get an aftermarket ems.

Exactly what connectors are there on the transmission? I didnt think there were any other then a speed sensor? I really dont know to much about manual tranny world, so I hope you dont mind if I bombard you with a bunch of newbie-ish questoins
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

the only other connection is the back up lights...on the auto theres like 5 different connections..thats the big reason i swapped wiring harnesses..thats weird that yours doesnt have thaton the cluster that lights up..every auto ive seen has em..oh well. why wouldnt u swap the ecu if youre gettin everything else?? i checked no too long ago and on ebay there was an entire wrecked 5 speed car for 500 bucks..thats still not as good as the 350 dollar deal got for all my stuff but hey i know people.lol
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    Cause swapping ecu's seems to be a major pain in my ass, I dont know which ecu you swapped to, but the only one worth swapping to in my mind is 2g turbo ecu. Also like I said I would rather go with haltech or some ecu that gives me more control.

As far as the connectors on the A/T well those are the control solenoids, etc etc...You can just pull that part of the harnesss and the A/t computer. I see no reason why the stock ECU wouldnt be able to handle fuel maps and what not with a manual tranny. Connect the speed sensor, the backup light switch...ground the P/N line on the stock ECU and that should be that. Your car will start no matter what gear your in lol.

You said something about having to hold the clutch when you start im assuming this runs to the ECU or MPI relay...if you keep the stock ecu, then like I said, you'd have to watch for your gears, cause you'll be able to start with the car in any gear!

BTW Nice job with all the pics. Can't wait for a write up.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

no no no i swapped to the galant 5 speed ecu...i got all my stuff out of another 95 galant 5 speed..everythings the same drivetrain wise so its the same as a 2g eclipse...but i went with the GALANT 5 speed ecu and wiring harness...if you look at the car now theres no way you could ever tell it was an automatic. thats exactly how i wanted it to be because i hate hacked up cars
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

[quote="JiP"]Odly enough my gauge cluster doesnt have the PRND section in it and it is auto.[quote]

The 97/98 didnt have that, the 94/96 did

well that explains it.lol wonder why they didnt include it because its handy..guess they wanted to cut corners and that was one way
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

by the way on my images i labeled the pressure plate the flywheel for some reason...disregard...i hit a retarded spurt for some reason
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

ablythe
    Hey terror, how about a pic of the interior where you put the "fly" S2000 style button. I want to know how much better the car rides and runs. How much weight did you cut when you switched trannys?

I just rebuilt my auto tranny and it wasn't that bad. I could take an auto tranny out of a car in about 3 hours with decent tools and a fridge full of beer waiting for me when I'm done. Thats without removing the engine with it.

Very cool conversion. I want to know how you like it...

AB
    Dallas, TX
    96 Galant S

havent weighed it yet...rides and runs perfect...nice and smooth and TORQUEY!!!!i cant wait to get the turbo on this thing..
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

as far as getting it in and out its pretty damn easy..mostly 17and 10mm's
    axles are the only bitchy thing because its just a dirty job
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

ablythe
    Terror, did your car keep the original axles or did you have to use the ones out of the manual car? Are the CV receiver cups the same too?

Yep, the axle job is not too bad, its just messy. Those clamps are sharp. I have a cut on my thumb to prove it.

AB
    Dallas, TX

the axles are the same between cars
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

This scares me...

First one: Red 88 - 245whp/312wtq - HIN: Nightshift - Chicago '07 WINNER
    Second one: Durban 88 - Buckskin - SHP - Auto - Sold to more capable hands
    Next one: White 84 flatty - t3/t4 - VELNAS - More to come

"...Remember: Don't crush 'em, restore 'em!"

the 5 speed swap or the UN truck? lmao
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234